Hours and hours attempting to get a Thargoid. Nothing.

Pretty frustrating RNG youve got coded FD. MAYBE, just MAYBE would you go ahead and up the % chances like, lets say, 1000%. That way, maybe, more people can get an counter to spawn.

Pretty frustrating RNG youve got coded FD. MAYBE, just MAYBE would you go ahead and up the % chances like, lets say, 1000%. That way, maybe, more people can get an counter to spawn.

I got 23 hours split between barnacle camping and efficiency jumping around Aries dark region, including the brief period of the E3 CG where encounter chances were rumored to have been increased. Nothing. It's probably because I'm a save-the-princess low attention span fast-food gamer who wants everything handed over on a silver platter. Or possibly because I don't have a YouTube or twitch channel. Apparently if you have a YouTube or twitch channel you're guaranteed success within a maximum of an hour's effort.

I spent days actually looking. Days. Then I just gave up. Eventually I moved some of my ships to the Pleiades as a temporary home for other reasons and forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago - nearly six months later - I got interdicted after taking a look at one of the large wreck sites.

I have literally spent days looking for unknown probes too, still never seen one. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe they're just really rare, but it seems to me there are a few problems with the RNG.

I got 23 hours split between barnacle camping and efficiency jumping around Aries dark region, including the brief period of the E3 CG where encounter chances were rumored to have been increased. Nothing. It's probably because I'm a save-the-princess low attention span fast-food gamer who wants everything handed over on a silver platter. Or possibly because I don't have a YouTube or twitch channel. Apparently if you have a YouTube or twitch channel you're guaranteed success within a maximum of an hour's effort.

I spent days actually looking. Days. Then I just gave up. Eventually I moved some of my ships to the Pleiades as a temporary home for other reasons and forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago - nearly six months later - I got interdicted after taking a look at one of the large wreck sites.

I have literally spent days looking for unknown probes too, still never seen one. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe they're just really rare, but it seems to me there are a few problems with the RNG.

I guess Im a princess then. Because, if I grind out something for hours, on a video game, I do think its reasonable to receive the appropriate return on my time.

This is an issue I have with RNG anyway; that somehow streamers get everything quickly but the rest of the gamers grind for months. Not terribly random... tin foil hat in full effect.

I want to get in on this alien scene but the RNG of it all is numbing.

tin foil hat in full effect.

I spoke to someone the other day who thinks that streamers and other prominent players are actually Fdev employees, the live game isn't real, it's all a conspiracy. The first time I went looking for a UP, it took five hours. Then I lost it to a connection error, and got my next one in ten minutes. I jumped through the Pleiades a thousand times, gave up, then got hyperdicted on my way back from my last trip to the Thargoid base. Not a streamer, nor prominent player, nor Fdev employee. Weird.

Careful what you wish for, OP. If you do end up getting Hyperdicted, you may be subject to the chained Hyperdiction bug, which doesn't stop until you completely exit the game, reload the launcher, and log back in.

I've had that happen twice in the last month. The first 3 Hyperdictions are really cool (especially with a Rift), but after that it just gets annoying.

I got hyperdicted once, then my power went out (good fluke timing) and never actually got to see the ship. Been trying here and there for months in the Aries Dark Region to get it again and never had any luck. They are kind of like rattle snakes or tornadoes. When I look for them, I never find them, but my friends who don't want to see them always do. es me off, but that's how it seems to work...

Still no hyperdiction for me either.

I've been to the Pleiades several times, and done various different things.
Each time I've come home without a hyperdiction.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

I've given up myself. I don't have the patience to sit around waiting for this to happen.

Doesn't have to be a guaranteed trigger, but maybe have a ceiling for time served before it triggering.

I've never been hyperdicted either, tried for a good 10-15 hours, then I gave up because I realized I wasn't going to see anything different than what I saw on youtube anyway. That was about a month ago, and I actually haven't played again since.

Never been interdicted until recently I picked 2 UAs near Maia. Next jump - boom. Conspiracy theory on this forum - mingle with UA.

Last edited:
I would wage the experience is better when its unexpected. I tried for months for a hyperdiction. Never got one but was then one of the first to get visited at the first discovered alien base!

NecoMachina

N
I see why they don't want the Thargoid stuff to just happen to every player twice an hour or something - it needs to be slightly more "special" than that. Which I'm ok with. They could have put these glorified cutscenes behind some kind of actual gameplay sequence. That would have made it so it wasn't happening to everyone all willy-nilly, but if you went looking for it you could trigger it by doing something more interesting than just flying around waiting for hours or days at a time. But in typical FDEV fashion, they substituted interesting gameplay systems with RNG nonsense. They've done some portions of this game very well, and other parts are the laziest, most un-interesting implementation I can think of. They are quite good at coding the technical stuff, and absolute garbage at proper game design. I also think they prioritize the wrong stuff. The game needs the core mechanics to be fleshed out and tied together in interesting ways, but instead they give us half- implementations of power play, CQC, multicrew, etc. MAYBE when they finally get around to fixing up the core game a bit after 2.4 they'll finally get it right. Not holding my breath tho.

I see why they don't want the Thargoid stuff to just happen to every player twice an hour or something - it needs to be slightly more "special" than that. Which I'm ok with. They could have put these glorified cutscenes behind some kind of actual gameplay sequence. That would have made it so it wasn't happening to everyone all willy-nilly, but if you went looking for it you could trigger it by doing something more interesting than just flying around waiting for hours or days at a time. But in typical FDEV fashion, they substituted interesting gameplay systems with RNG nonsense. They've done some portions of this game very well, and other parts are the laziest, most un-interesting implementation I can think of. They are quite good at coding the technical stuff, and absolute garbage at proper game design. I also think they prioritize the wrong stuff. The game needs the core mechanics to be fleshed out and tied together in interesting ways, but instead they give us half- implementations of power play, CQC, multicrew, etc. MAYBE when they finally get around to fixing up the core game a bit after 2.4 they'll finally get it right. Not holding my breath tho.

Maybe I am wrong, but when I read your post all I can see is "they fail to deliver a single player story campaign" which is something they never intended to do. Sure, they could improve their story telling skills but this isn't related to your complaint, which seems to be specifically about story + gameplay.

PS
And by improving their story telling skills I mean giving us better clues and summaries via galnet or random NPCs chatting about the latest rumours...

Last edited:
These comments point to the downside of RNG. I think its an attempt to tote a fine line between "realism" and fun. The problem with most devs is the balance falls way on the "realism" side. But, its not real, its a game. So, the balance should always fall on the fun side.

Awhile back FD said they wouldnt force anyone to partake in the Return. What they shouldve said is they wont make it easy for even those that want to experience the Return to experience the Return.

I mean, how cool would it be to be punishing ships in a Res, for this particular CG, and have a Thargoid enter the Res and fly around out of curiosity? Frikn awesome, right? Or, since the Pleiades is largely unexplored for many players, have an "unknown signal" USS pop up which will lead you to an encounter while you explore the system.

This CG was an excellent opportunity for FD to turn up the Thargoid heat and it was missed.

Maybe I am wrong, but when I read your post all I can see is "they fail to deliver a single player story campaign" which is something they never intended to do. Sure, they could improve their story telling skills but this isn't related to your complaint, which seems to be specifically about story + gameplay.

PS
And by improving their story telling skills I mean giving us better clues and summaries via galnet or random NPCs chatting about the latest rumours...

I didnt read it that way. We already have "quests", kinda, ish. But, a quest wouldve been a cool way to get player involvement and spread the experience.

Been in the Pliaedes area for weeks and weeks now and not a hyperdiction or alien encounter of any kind to be found (other than the scavengers).

Was initially looking for signs of alien activity but then just went back to running missions out of Maia, Merope etc.

Resigned to the "if it happens it happens" philosophy now. Makes life far less stressful. 😉

It is frustrating tbf but shouldn't meeting aliens be so. Just keep telling yourself it'll happen and fingers crossed it will. I've had the hyperdiction twice since they first arrived and yes it took an age but when it happened OMG!! It was awesome. Fingers crossed for you though CMDR

Top Bottom