How about make Mis-Jumps like this?

This will be a great tool to escape from ganking. And also make the normal high wake and low wake escape harder so this can come to use.

Early game designs 2014 document also described misjumps, microjumps and dark systems, that are rogue planets. Misjumps could be caused by malfunctions, sabotaging the hyperdrive module, or certain space phenomena. So, I wish there was an exploration update some day.
I heard that they was indeed in the first ED, why they removed it?

I think they ran out of development time when launching original ED, and now are extremely careful about revisiting or upgrading core features, instead focusing on adding new features in modular fashion.

Sabotaging a FSD would probably be an illegal act, so any device or engineering would need to be done by a pirate faction. Interesting idea.
I’ve followed a pirates wake to empty space a few times, so maybe this is already in game.

View attachment 136517

This will be a great tool to escape from ganking. And also make the normal high wake and low wake escape harder so this can come to use.
How about no

Not only frontier never make your ship jump beyond its jump range but such a malfunction would break all laws of entropy.
And because your FSD is limited in the fuel it can use in a jump there is absolutely no way to cause a malfunction to make it jump farther than its jump range outside of neutron star boosts and injections.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/c1ytj2 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/c1ytj2/an_explanation_of_the_fsd_by_cmdr_azmuth/

Last edited:
Misjumps should always have been a thing....a mostly negative one that added a bit of risk and uncertanty to travel, especially long distance travel.

In the current game, deliberately inducing them wouldn't be a very useful escape tool as any high-wake is already a nearly perfect escape if you select a destination not likely to be patrolled and flip off your thrusters immediately upon entry.

Misjumps should always have been a thing....a mostly negative one that added a bit of risk and uncertanty to travel, especially long distance travel.

In the current game, deliberately inducing them wouldn't be a very useful escape tool as any high-wake is already a nearly perfect escape if you select a destination not likely to be patrolled and flip off your thrusters immediately upon entry.
It can be a thing if people can nav lock others people without being in a wing. Then this might come in handy, imagine when the ganker follow but you are some where else in a different system.

Gankers? Entropy? I have no interest in such things. Misjumps could have been interesting game feature as such.

What would be the result of a misjump?
You jump to a star within range of your drive? As long you have enough fuel you jump back.​
You jump to a space between stars? Same. If these were something with a chance to happen ships would have a reserve tank.​
You jump to a place beyond the range of your drive? Someone would try to exploit that.​

While misjumps are used as a story feature I don't see much use in a multiplayer game.

Gankers? Entropy? I have no interest in such things. Misjumps could have been interesting game feature as such.
Until they leave you stranded on the other side of the galaxy.
Misjumps would more or less make exploration impossible as you'd never know when a roll of the dice will kill you.

It sounds kinda cool, being a surprise and all, but it would quickly become extremely annoying.

Hyperspace jump would really need some love.

Atleast, add some gameplay mechanics around the actual "press the button" one without taking out the old mechanics.

You want to play like in the good old days and risk nothing ? No problem, keep jumping from a system to another simply by pressing the jump button.

BUT if you want to gamble a little bit more you can try to boost your jump with a gameplay mechanic that should require some skill (like fighting an interdiction or something else - I didn't really think what it could be but skill based gameplay would be nice). If you fail, you'll jump under your "average" jump capacity and get some modules damages (could be considered as a misjump) BUT if you nail it you'll be able to jump 30% further for example.

The % distance bonus could also be linked to your pilot exploration rank since it's based on it's experience.

It shouldn't be as efficient as neutron stars boost thoguh.

Until they leave you stranded on the other side of the galaxy.
Misjumps would more or less make exploration impossible as you'd never know when a roll of the dice will kill you.

It sounds kinda cool, being a surprise and all, but it would quickly become extremely annoying.

Exactly it would be cool and interesting.

How about no

Not only frontier never make your ship jump beyond its jump range but such a malfunction would break all laws of entropy.
And because your FSD is limited in the fuel it can use in a jump there is absolutely no way to cause a malfunction to make it jump farther than its jump range outside of neutron star boosts and injections.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/c1ytj2 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/c1ytj2/an_explanation_of_the_fsd_by_cmdr_azmuth/
Isn't the fuel use a safety measure ?

Exactly it would be cool and interesting.
Its also impossible because of law of entropy.
Even if your fsd used your whole tank in one go (which it cant because its physically limited) it would never even get past 1,000 LY on a single tank because of entropy

Last edited:
It would be an exciting feature that involves taking a gamble for an unpredictable result, but using it to cheat your distance limit is right out of the question in my opinion. It WOULD make a risky and satisfying emergency tool though.

What if it worked like so: you're getting shot. Holy crap. Your shield is down and his friends are coming. You are going to DIE if you don't jump NOW. You hit a blind jump. Your FSD goes "warning blah blah blah blind jump danger blah blah blah" and you hit it again to confirm. BOOM. You jump in the general direction you're facing in a fraction of the normal time...but there's a price to pay. You HOPE you don't suffer catastrophic damage to your FSD thanks to your "cold jump" and when you drop, you now have to figure out where you are and HOPE you're not in an even worse situation...but at least your attackers will have a very hard time deducing your location, much less following you.

...you hope.

It would make it a dangerous, desperate measure you really don't WANT to use unless the alternative is death and even then it might screw you over anyway. THAT sounds like a pretty cool feature to me. If you're skilled, responsible and prepared you'll likely not have to use it often, but when you do, it's tense and exciting when you get away with it.

It would be an exciting feature that involves taking a gamble for an unpredictable result, but using it to cheat your distance limit is right out of the question in my opinion. It WOULD make a risky and satisfying emergency tool though.

What if it worked like so: you're getting shot. Holy crap. Your shield is down and his friends are coming. You are going to DIE if you don't jump NOW. You hit a blind jump. Your FSD goes "warning blah blah blah blind jump danger blah blah blah" and you hit it again to confirm. BOOM. You jump in the general direction you're facing in a fraction of the normal time...but there's a price to pay. You HOPE you don't suffer catastrophic damage to your FSD thanks to your "cold jump" and when you drop, you now have to figure out where you are and HOPE you're not in an even worse situation...but at least your attackers will have a very hard time deducing your location, much less following you.

...you hope.

It would make it a dangerous, desperate measure you really don't WANT to use unless the alternative is death and even then it might screw you over anyway. THAT sounds like a pretty cool feature to me. If you're skilled, responsible and prepared you'll likely not have to use it often, but when you do, it's tense and exciting when you get away with it.
I would be fine with this
because the physics of the FSD actualy entirely has the potential to tear the ship apart because of how it affects your ship's mass. which is why supercruise FSD failures result in hull damage as it doesnt have the chance to shut down properly

Lestat

Banned
An idea is to look at some of the Pre Elite Dangerous releases to get some ideas about why they never added it. Yes, it does sound cool.

The best idea is Toss somes ideas around and sees if anything sticks.

Misjumps look like the best entry point to solo micro-story chained quests introduction: FSD engine and Navigation module broken, galmap unavailable, only system map, you have to explore the system you dropped in, gather materials to fix your ship (on planets, USS...), maybe unlock some narrative along the way (previous stranded CMDR) giving you hints to nice spots and mats, and at the end unlock a related engineer perhaps.

First time I heard about Thargoid hyperdictions, I assumed it was a hint at this kind of thing to come sooner or later.

Top Bottom