How about make Mis-Jumps like this?

View attachment 136517

This will be a great tool to escape from ganking. And also make the normal high wake and low wake escape harder so this can come to use.

I would love this, but only if it also works to trick AI pirates.
Currently when you have mission cargo and an assassin is put on your trail, he will be able to find you wherever you go, and automatically spawn in any system you jump to.
In my engineered long range Cutter even normal NPC FDL pirates can follow me everywhere. Even when they clearly do not have the jump range.

What would be the result of a misjump?
You jump to a star within range of your drive? As long you have enough fuel you jump back.​
You jump to a space between stars? Same. If these were something with a chance to happen ships would have a reserve tank.​
You jump to a place beyond the range of your drive? Someone would try to exploit that.​

While misjumps are used as a story feature I don't see much use in a multiplayer game.
If tied to maintenance of the ship and pilot attention to jump-target they could be useful and add some interest if not over-used. Like the first time my canopy was breached was a real thrill. What if unannounced your ship dropped out of a jump in-between systems or maybe in a "dark" system not on the galactic map because there isn't a burning star...

Mis-jumps were definitely a thing in the previous games, if you didn't look after your ship. I think it's been suggested once or twice, unfortunately had a lot of salt poured on it however...

In previous games this would drop you in a random location , sometimes even (well) outside the range of your hyperdrive too...

Last edited:
Hmm, yes. Missjumps were a thing in the old games. It usually meant that you were stranded in the middle of nowhere, with no way to get home.
Especially in the first game, where you had 7 LY jump range and it could not be upgraded. When Thargoids interdicted you, you often ended up somewhere far from any star and not enough fuel to jump to any system.

It effectively was a "random chance to die on any jump". Luckily you were able to save your game, so no matter what bad things happened during a jump, if you had half a brain the last save was just before leaving the station and jumping. You lost a minute or two, while the game added the flavor of random threats.

So yea... I yet have to find the save game function in ED. I guess the game is broken?

So if the main feature of misjump was inevitable death, reload, or - if by any chance you have enough fuel and jump range - a useless and costly diversion, is it really necessary?

If misjumps are basically just the game playing the griefer with a rolling dice I don't get what they can bring good to the game.

Last edited:
A deliberate blind jump to shake pursuit would be neat, something like engaging the drive without selecting a target, but why bother when you can actually high-wake for real in 15s? Anyone following you is unable to follow until they've scanned your wake and spent 15s spooling up their own drives, by which time you've either killed your throttle and dropped, or are well on the way to jumping to yet another system.

The physics surrounding the FSD renders the whole misjump thing moot anyways.
A malfunction will never send you beyond your jump range because of entropy and fuel limits.
Theres no ammount of "magical warp drive failures" that can make that possible with the current physics laid out for the FSD

However it is entirely possible for it to shredd your own ship to peices because of how it warps your own ship's mass. The FSD is secretly a module that can destroy your ship but only part of those physics have been explored in supercruise failures.

The physics surrounding the FSD renders the whole misjump thing moot anyways.
A malfunction will never send you beyond your jump range because of entropy and fuel limits.
Theres no ammount of "magical warp drive failures" that can make that possible with the current physics laid out for the FSD

However it is entirely possible for it to shredd your own ship to peices because of how it warps your own ship's mass. The FSD is secretly a module that can destroy your ship but only part of those physics have been explored in supercruise failures.
No, the physics doesn't render it moot.
Because the energy required for an FSD to work would equal the energy of the universe basically.
So the concept is not practical to start with.
Also, assuming a misjump requires the ship go further than the engine and fuel allow is not required. Very easy to imagine mis-jump can occur within the limits and still be an incomplete jump not to the original target system, or emergency jump to random point even in empty space.

I really enjoyed the remake of Battlestar Galactica and the episode(s) where the Galactica was basically making random jumps to try and evade Cylon pursuit. That would be a possible example to consider with this proposal, where the Galactica never exceeded its jump range but could land in empty space between stars (iffy mechanics not targeting a gravity well, with iffy results), etc.

No, the physics doesn't render it moot.
Because the energy required for an FSD to work would equal the energy of the universe basically.
So the concept is not practical to start with.
Also, assuming a misjump requires the ship go further than the engine and fuel allow is not required. Very easy to imagine mis-jump can occur within the limits and still be an incomplete jump not to the original target system, or emergency jump to random point even in empty space.

I really enjoyed the remake of Battlestar Galactica and the episode(s) where the Galactica was basically making random jumps to try and evade Cylon pursuit. That would be a possible example to consider with this proposal, where the Galactica never exceeded its jump range but could land in empty space between stars (iffy mechanics not targeting a gravity well, with iffy results), etc.
Saying that the FSD requires the energy of the universe to work is 100% false

the FSD functions partly on a principle called frame dragging observed by nasa which every astronomical body in existance is capable of doing naturally. and another principle called the alcubierre drive.
there is absolutely zero ability with the efficency in the FSD's use of energy to transport your ship across the galaxy, let alone across the universe with the avalible fuel on your ship regardless of what kind of failure occurs.
your FSD doesnot impose any kinetic energy on your ship either so the moment your FSD stops working, your ship returns to the speed of whatever kenetic energy it had prior to FTL.
the same principle can be seen in a car. if the engine stops working you will get stuck somewhere between your starting point and your destination but you will NEVER be transported 1000 miles across the globle instantly especialy if your car does not carry enough fuel to preform such a trip.

OP suggests that mis-jumps should ignore law of entropy which will never happen ever, especialy since frontier is making the game as scientifically realistic as possible.

you can read more explanations about the FSD here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/c1ytj2 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/c1ytj2/an_explanation_of_the_fsd_by_cmdr_azmuth/

Last edited:
That 15 seconds FSD spool-up is a long time when you're being set-upon by a half-a-dozen gankers with Grom missiles. Just like how a double-press of the FSD control will perform an emergency shutdown, a double-press when you're in normal space could initiate an emergency jump - maybe a 3-second timer to give the player a chance to hit the button one more time to cancel. If you do that, the FSD will take a full jump's worth of fuel and you will stop when either your jump range has been reached (could be anywhere) or you hit a gravity well / star that your Nav Computer can lock onto. Either way, you would suffer damage to your ship - perhaps a RNG effect for how much damage. Could be a little, could be a lot, could be enough to finish you off but, I would posit, never 100% of your hull because....

This could also have the benefit of eliminating some of the worst travel grinds... if you're good. Or lucky. You could get yourself lined up with Hutton Orbital, initiate an emergency hyperspace jump and hopefully hit the station's SOI. that would be some great gameplay!

FE2 and FFE also had wear and tear on drives which is missing and this caused the misjumps. I thought when Engineers were introduced, extended FSD jumps would mean this mechanism would be introduced (David Braben alluded to it with his talks about helicopter maintenance engineers during the Vietnam war) with a grade 5 enhancement causing more damage than a grade 1 enhancement. It would actually make the AFMU mandatory for long range exploration.

Sadly that has not been the case.

Top Bottom