How 'bout some pirate love?!

Piracy in general needs some lovin', but I'm gonna concentrate on one particular aspect here: credit transfers...

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! Now, before you switch over and/or suggest that such a feature would break the game/open it up to gold farmers/unleash a plague of deadly space locust upon the galaxy, I'm thinking about a specific way of implementing it: ransoms!

This is how I imagined it during my shower time today (as we all know, shower time is number one best thinking time):
Each ship would have a specific ransom value. This value would be less than the insurance rebuy cost of the ship and would scale. For example, a Diamondback Scout might be worth 50% of rebuy cost (roughly 250k) where an Imperial Cutter would be worth only 10% (around 2m).
Each individual CMDR could only be ransomed once every 24 hours, per aggressor, to help avoid potential exploits.
Paying the ransom would give the victim immunity from being interdicted again by their attacker, for the same duration. This would help prevent 'griefing', while they're of no further value.

I imagine this being implemented along the following lines:
A 'customer' submitting to an interdiction would have their drives automatically throttled down. As long as they remained there, and the pirate's weapons were stowed, a 'ransom-able' state would exist. The victim is free to run and the attacker is free to deploy weapons (as is currently the case), but doing so would end the 'ransom-able' state.
Getting too close would also exit the state, to prevent ramming.
On a side note, in this same state, I'd love the option of directly transferring cargo, possibly with the use of a specific module (but that's a whole other story).

Now, I'm looking at this from a pirates perspective as it would benefit us massively, but I also believe it would help minimise pointless murder, as there would be a financial benefit to not killing your prey.

I'm sure there are issues I haven't considered with this idea, so please, offer your constructive criticism...

Well you said it/wrote it .." but I also believe it would help minimise pointless murder.." your text?
that's the whole point ,why pirating is not welcomed.hated. is very 'like' griefing .cos other 'player' want to play own game--has "grinded' to point now and then pirate not just steal cargo BUT ALSO CREATED A BIG LOSE the victim,COS destroy ship.
the first thing 'MOST' so called pirates do is fire-kill-collect-- is not pirate is murderer...
a pirate is .. going to attack yes, I agree,, but not kill.. a pirate has ( as I experience ) cargo limpets and fires to slow down/stop victim ..( not kill) a TRUE' pirate will use cargo limpets and break victims 'hold/doors'. then scoop dropped cargo....
IS experience in pass that attacked by 'the CODE' I was stopped and threatened to drop cargo first.... but now I experience players as pirates, just shoot and kill.. is a double 'wammy' to trader.. and not pirate just game murder.
best wishes
Amanda.. ( I share game with sister Christina.)

nah credit tansfer way to easy to exploit.
I only have rail guns and lasers for pirates, but they can come and interdict me if they want some of those.
They arent ever getting my credits lol.

Top Bottom