How do I quickly know what planets have been probed?

So my biggest hurdle with the new system is knowing what planets I have already probed with the Detailed Surface Scanner.

What am I missing here?

It seems to me there should be some indication on the left navigation panel. A simple "probed" icon would work.

It seems to me there should be some indication in the system map. (without having to zoom in on each and every body in the system)

Some method of quickly knowing where to go next to scan is needed.

After a few hours of gameplay, it seems the only way to find out what planets have been probed is to click a planet and see if I have a list of collectable materials at the bottom of the info tab or fly close to it and observe the purple overlay.

Surely there is a better way?

Last edited:
It's in the system map info screen, second tab (with the lines) when you have a planet selected, just under the initial blurb, it is just text tho, I agree some sort of icon on the nav panel would be very useful.

So no quick way of telling from the nav panel?

Isn't this the kind of stuff that should've been picked up in the beta?

It's in the system map info screen, second tab (with the lines) when you have a planet selected, just under the initial blurb, it is just text tho, I agree some sort of icon on the nav panel would be very useful.

As above ^^

hidden in a separate menu, with a tiny bit of text

a better way, of course! will we ever have it? hmmm...

Yep, in the beta we asked for icons in the nav panel to indicate that the planet has detected POIs, and whether it's been mapped.

It's in the system map info screen, second tab (with the lines) when you have a planet selected, just under the initial blurb, it is just text tho,

Thanks for pointing this out, I missed it - "This planet has/has not been mapped"

But still, poking through 40+ bodies to find ones to disco scan??? Something has to be done about this...

Edit- ok to be clear about this:

The old system when a planet was unknown, it was unknown... really, and when it was scanned it was both known, and surface scanned.

Now there are two states, It can be known (from the FSS), but not surface scanned so there is no quick list to preview where to surface scan next.

I feel this is a dev oversight.

And yes, I do recall this being asked for in the beta forums.

Last edited:
So no quick way of telling from the nav panel?

hey i dont know if you managed to find a way, the fastest i found is press space on it, a menu comes up where you can engage SC assist, there it sais MAPPED YES/NO

Thanks for pointing this out, I missed it - "This planet has/has not been mapped"

But still, poking through 40+ bodies to find ones to disco scan??? Something has to be done about this...

Edit- ok to be clear about this:

The old system when a planet was unknown, it was unknown... really, and when it was scanned it was both known, and surface scanned.

Now there are two states, It can be known (from the FSS), but not surface scanned so there is no quick list to preview where to surface scan next.

I feel this is a dev oversight.

And yes, I do recall this being asked for in the beta forums.

If you're on PC the system map in EDDiscovery adds an icon to the planet picture when you map it.

Bear in mind that the FSS was not intended as an improvement to the game, but to appease a bunch of eejits (who, of course, vanished quickly once their work was done) who told certain devs that what exploration really needed was a pointless grindy minigame.

I find this annoying as well. What I'd like is on the system map a icon to be shown above each body to indicate Mapped Y/N and Terraformable Y/N. At the moment I have to try and remember the terraformable planets as I "FSS" them. then check again when I plan my in-system route to map them. For exploration, the constant switching between system map and Orrery and then checking the description to make sure I'm going to the right place is a bit of a pain.

I find this annoying as well. What I'd like is on the system map a icon to be shown above each body to indicate Mapped Y/N and Terraformable Y/N. At the moment I have to try and remember the terraformable planets as I "FSS" them. then check again when I plan my in-system route to map them. For exploration, the constant switching between system map and Orrery and then checking the description to make sure I'm going to the right place is a bit of a pain.

aye, utilizing the radar would be nice too. here's an old image, frontier are busy making a mess of mining and tritium usage currently, they will move onto the next cash crash soon long before they fix the current one though dont worry.

NlINvtz.png

do you mean an icon next to the name in the nav panel? opening the system map is worse than useless, since if the next planet in the line is on the opposite of the system, it would be almost definitely the farthest. (and the Orrery is useless, it always resets and it replaces the system map, you have to toggle back and forth). if there was an icon next to the name in the nav panel, like the compass next to planets...or just take away the compass if mapped?

orrery with enbiggened planets and no transition to black/no reset if oyu leave it would be the best+it should show mapped status on the representation of the planets. basically the orrery should look like the radar but colored planets and navigability

I think the surveyor tab as an overlay with 'hide already mapped bodies' enabled is better to get a quick view of this.

Personally, this is one of the cases where I prefer the picture over the text although I am more usually the other way round.

aye, utilizing the radar would be nice too. here's an old image, frontier are busy making a mess of mining and tritium usage currently, they will move onto the next cash crash soon long before they fix the current one though dont worry.

NlINvtz.png

On which note that would be awesome - especially if the icons in the left hand panel had matching colours.

do you mean an icon next to the name in the nav panel? opening the system map is worse than useless, since if the next planet in the line is on the opposite of the system, it would be almost definitely the farthest. (and the Orrery is useless, it always resets and it replaces the system map, you have to toggle back and forth). if there was an icon next to the name in the nav panel, like the compass next to planets...or just take away the compass if mapped?

orrery with enbiggened planets and no transition to black/no reset if oyu leave it would be the best+it should show mapped status on the representation of the planets. basically the orrery should look like the radar but colored planets and navigability

I mean the system map. I've never really used the Nav pannel for planning my mapping route but thinking about it, it probably makes more sense that trying to do it via the Orrery. The bit I bolded in your comment would be a preferred solution for me. I don't see any reason for the Orrery to be to scale as it is now. A graphic representation like the system map with the addition of mapped/terraform tags would be best.

I mean the system map. I've never really used the Nav pannel for planning my mapping route but thinking about it, it probably makes more sense that trying to do it via the Orrery. The bit I bolded in your comment would be a preferred solution for me. I don't see any reason for the Orrery to be to scale as it is now. A graphic representation like the system map with the addition of mapped/terraform tags would be best.
i find it much faster to target the next closest planet and go there right away, so it would save at least 15 seconds on big system, where im just s-space-rightclick through them to have a tiny icon on the left. yes i was utterly disappointed when the orrery came out, and it was 1-1 scale. same kind of size as in the system map would be best. but due to how it is now, i only use it if im bored to look at nice orbits while flying to star B.

about planning the mapping route: i never really planned, i just map all of it usually or none

Top Bottom