How do you explore?

I see a lot of people who seem to lack some kind of engaging game play while out exploring and absolutely hate it but then there are others who seem to spend all of their time out in the black. I had made several attempts at exploring prior to DW2 but nothing farther than about 17k ly which is not really much of anything. During DW2 I found what worked for me and I absolutely enjoyed my time during the 200k ly journey. Here is what worked for me:

I would search for systems in the Galaxy map that I thought might be interesting. I would filter out whatever stars I wasn't interested in then just start looking around until I found something neat. Be it Wolf-Rayets, Carbon stars, certain types of white dwarfs, black holes, O-types, Giants, you know, whatever I decided my next target was. On the first tab in the Galaxy map you can see additional stars in the system along with their class and luminosity; A great asset that takes a bit of time to learn but is well worth it. I could spend upwards of an hour searching for what I considered the right system. I would usually look for something less than 10k ly away so it wasn't too much of a trek. I would also plot some other points in between.

While travelling I would filter out everything except, O, B, A, F, G and some other types of rare stars. That way I figured my chance of randomly finding something cool might increase a bit. It seemed to work out pretty well for the most part. I would fully FSS most systems unless I could tell there was nothing of interest, like only icy bodies. Any system that had some high value targets such as Earth-Like Worlds, Water Worlds, Ammonia Worlds, anything terraformable or if anything just looked a little odd I would fly out to and map; probably take a screenshot or 2. I would also regularly land on Metal-rich planets to do some material gathering when I found one that had an element I was a bit short on. I had fighters with me but I honestly rarely ever deployed them, only for the occasional photo op. Not sure that I would actually bring a fighter bay again. I guess it can be nice if you're piloting a slow turning beast but I personally never really saw the point.

This thread is not about the old tools vs the new, it's not meant to open another debate; There are already plenty of threads for that. The intention here is to bounce idea's off each other about what works for you that keeps you out exploring; what have you tried that didn't work. Maybe inspire some Commander's with ideas to get them going on their own adventure. Maybe help a Commander who is out in the black and lost motivation to continue with some new ideas to make it interesting again. I think the tools are out there to make exploration fun and engaging. I concede that more could be done to improve exploring but again, that's not what this is about. What works for you with the tools we currently have? Why do you stay out exploring for so long?

I filter out systems I've previously visited, so I never go the same place twice.

My goal is to visit all HD and HIP catalog stars, so those are the only ones I always scan. Scanning is through parallax and proximity resolution, only using the FSS when I can't find a body I know is in the system - usually because it's tiny, dark and distant or because it's way off the orbital plane. I'll use the FSS spectrum on completely unexplored systems to see if there's anything particularly unusual, or fly out to 1,000 Ls from the star to see if anything shows up in parallax.

There are still a few totally unscanned HD stars and plenty more that aren't in EDSM, so there's always something interesting not too far away. It's just a shame the Codex doesn't do anything useful like track my actual journey.

I mix it up. Right now I'm on a RW bender, mostly material collecting but also looking for that Cecil B. DeMille screen shot. Last week I was working the heck out of neutrons, about ten days before that MR's were on an item of interest. When I first started I got into that i-must-go-far-and-fast trap. Nowadays if I want to spent three days in a single system I will, or if I want to eat away the LYs to get the heck out of this sterile area I'll do that too. Basically I give myself missions, and just like RL you can count on my 'boss' to change his mind 48 hrs later.

The couple of times I went out into the black I just picked a hyped POI like SagA and tried to get there as fast as possible, only on the way back did I start to look for high value scans like Earth-likes. I like your suggestion on filtering though. Will def try that on my next trip.

My travels take me out farther each time. The last trip was several weeks in duration. Like poster Drew Carnegie above, I too set destination goals for HD and HIP targets. There are tons of places out there I'm finding that haven't been visited or scanned before at all, and many that have only been partially explored. In particular, I'm trying to visit regions I've not been to before; Regions I've been to thusfar are Inner Orion Spur (naturally), Elysian Shore, Formidine Rift, Kepler's Crest, and the Sanguineous Rim. Eventually I hope to pass though all regions galaxy-wide.

I do not filter out anything. I've visited many an L and T type system (to name a few) and found plenty of things to scan and discover. I'll rule out nothing. My jump setting is for maximum range on the initial trip out, but once I'm at my target destination I'll change to the minimum (1K) and set a course to a localized destination and hit everything along the way. There's a lot to find out there.

Is it tedious and mundane? For some, perhaps. Do I wish the scan time for Geo and Bio discovery on bodies was shorter? Yes, but I'm dealing with it. I have no issues using the FSS, but being new to the game I know of no other tool or method, so no complaints... except maybe the blue grid overlay appearing on planets not yet scanned issue, that would be helpful if they'd fix it.

Between yesterday and today, I've run across an HIP star that had two neutron companions, landed on a 2.5g world without crashing and gathered Geo and Bio data for my Codex, and found my first Blatteum Bioluminescent Anemones. So, Ferret's gone fishing... see you in a few weeks. :cool:

Currently scanning an entire 'D' sub-sector (about 13500 systems, 78% completed) for ELWs, AWs and WWs.

Keeping lots of nerdy stats in a spreadsheet :geek:

Taking it nice and slow ... biding my time for when Cyberpunk is relased :giggle:

The vast majority of my time with Elite is spent in the black. The brief instances I am back (such as now) are spent in Anarchy systems annoying pirates.
I don't usually have one particular method for exploration travel other than looking for neutrons and see where that trail may take me. A good find of them can take you a vast distance but it can also be a well trodden path so not as exiting.
Herbig stars also lead me astray.

I seem to do most of my exploring just like OP. I left in March, and am just now turning around. On the way back, however, I'm just hauling butt to get back ASAP, as I wish to build a mining ship.

I have two long-term exploration projects I am working on.

First, is my ED7K Survey - my goal is to survey 7000 stars across 5 different sectors in different parts of the galaxy, to see just how scarce or common the various planet types are. Currently up to 2150 stars (about one and a half sectors).

My second, much more long-term goal, is to collect planetary stats for as many Earth-likes as possible, with the aim of finding a "perfect match for Earth" or as close to one as possible. It's much harder than it sounds, because the Stellar Forge does not like creating ELWs that have both 1 atmosphere pressure and 1 gravity; most planets with 1 gravity have much thicker atmospheres than Earth has. Of the eight parameters I am currently monitoring (mass, gravity, temperature, pressure, volcanism, day length, axial tilt and presence-of-a-single-moon.), and for the over 200 ELWs I have scanned, I have only found one planet with more than four matching parameters.

I go somewhere random and then I bumble about. I figure it's the best way to find somewhere noone has gone before. I try to avoid ignoring star types unless I'm lazily making routes... sure the "valuable" stuff follows certain typical rules, but I think it's neat to be in the "forgotten" star systems and find something mildly interesting.

I don't do too much exploration, though I'm actually on an exploration run now. Exploration for me is more about listening to music and relaxing. If I find a nice view in the VR head-set, I'll chill and play some music myself.

I like to create my own "bubbles" (as seen in the Galaxy Map using 'visited systems' filter), which means going to a spot and exploring every single system in a certain circumference. I also like to beachcomb, so I'm often operating relatively close to the Bubble, but in areas that have a decent amount of unexplored systems. And since I'm looking for Raxxla / undiscovered ruins, I feel compelled to scan all the planets, even if someone else beat me to it.

It's a bit of a grind, but I (usually as Jenny these days) have discovered some cool things close to the Bubble using this technique, and it's cool to see the end result on the galmap.

How do I explore?
Probably wrong.
Right now I'm supercruising 423kLs to map a Rocky ice world, of the dark brown mudball variation.

When I'm travelling, I FSS interesting bodies, and map some of them. When I'm surveying the destination (volume), I tend to FSS whole systems and map all AWs, WWs, ELWs, terraformables, Water Giants*, bodies with BIO and anything else I find interesting.

*Yes, I know Water Giants aren't valuable. But they're rare enough to be interesting to me. :)

Last edited:
But seriously, in exploration, the "score" is up to you. If you want high points from finding as many class V gas giants, go for it. It high points means visiting the most distant edges, that works too.

Currently in the Vulcan gate region, star map is set to all except M and doing economy jumps and heading West and as per the song Country Cooking (Jim Dandy) I think I passed God sometime last week.

I would say I tend towards OP - but look for “the road less traveled”: even as I wander back from DW2 along the Sagittarius-Carina arm - with a large number of WPs and POIs charted for our expedition- I generally never try to fly ‘straight line’ / shortest distance between any two point - as surely someone has done that before....So I’ll plot a random star near the midpoint of a leg - but several hundred Lys off to the side - and take the path less traveled...The longer road home 😉

As far as systems go - I am generally scanning every system I visit - DSS/map any TF / AW / WWs within 100 kLs - and if an ELW - then DSS / map the ENTIRE system

I just recently picked a direction and took off, with a full compliment of sensors and scanners. I'm not heading towards anything in particular, but staying within a few thousand light years of the bubble scanning systems and some planets... looking for anything interesting

Top Bottom