How do you feel about ganckers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
need to grind to get anything
No you don't. Just play the game and things will come eventually. When you get there you'll realise that the anaconda isn't the best ship in the game. Nor the cutter, not the corvette.
And G5 engineering is a waste of time in most cases. G3 is easy and significantly easier to obtain. Without grinding.
Grinding for me is fun,
And that's fine! If that's how you want to play the game and that's what you enjoy then no one's going to stop you. Just don't imagine the rewards to be better than the targets you set for yourself.

No you don't. Just play the game and things will come eventually. When you get there you'll realise that the anaconda isn't the best ship in the game. Nor the cutter, not the corvette.
And G5 engineering is a waste of time in most cases. G3 is easy and significantly easier to obtain. Without grinding.

And that's fine! If that's how you want to play the game and that's what you enjoy then no one's going to stop you. Just don't imagine the rewards to be better than the targets you set for yourself.
How do you get materials at all? You have to work for it. How do you get credits, working for it. Right? How do you engineer without raw material mining?

A simple question that can have a complicated answer regarding it.

How do you feel about ganckers? Are they people just playing the game? Are they bullies? Should there be a punishment for gancking? If so, what should it be? Are you a gancker yourself? If so, why? Does anyone have any stories to share regarding ganckers?
I'm a newer player. For me, gancker is defined as someone who kills other players for no reason or just for the kill. This is different then pirates who just want the cargo

Example of gancking that seems common, sitting outside starting systems and killing new players. They don't have anything, can't defend themselves
Ah, gankers. Love them or hate them, there seems to be no in between. I'll try for a balanced opinion anyway. Sorry in advance, probably a longish post.

My general position: I don't like ganking. I find it a waste of everyone's time, and it's a dumb way to spend your play time. I don't do it, and I don't like it. And I've met a few gankers I really disliked for one reason or another. But at the very basic level yes, they are just people playing the game and "blazing their trail" as any other player too. Shooting another player is within the rules, and nowhere does it say a player needs a reason beyond "because they can". Does that make a ganker a "bully" (or worse)? That depends on a lot of factors. But probably not. You might think the person behind the CMDR might be a bully or worse, but it's dangerous armchair psychology to automatically make the connection ganker-bully or worse - they have been called sociopaths and other stuff. The worst gankers are probably just bored jaded gamers who like to blow up pixels no matter what. I might not want to be friends with them or suspect a lack of empathy... but they don't break any rules unless they really bully you - follow you around for no reason, chain interdict you relentlessly, or show real toxic behavior.

There are a few different types of "gankers" I have encountered in game and outside of it, and maybe a few in-between ones. There's those who just shoot everything that moves no matter what, because they can, pixels go boom and all that. They don't shy away from a fight, might even fight amongst themselves, aren't afraid to catch a bloody nose, and are usually civil, decent persons to talk to.

Then you have your typical seal clubber who goes to known newbie spots and waits for unsuspecting prey. They usually run away at any kind of real opposition and are only out for the weakest ones who cannot defend themselves. Those are the ones I would question their motives the most, because that's just weak sauce.

There's the type of ganker that takes nothing seriously, memes everything, constantly talks trash in system chat or is very condescending and tries to "teach a lesson" for whatever reason they make up for (flying with a docking computer is one such nonsense rule), and spews "git gud" nonsense all over the game. Those I find the most annoying, and are the ones I wouldn't really want to talk to even if I could.

Then you have your role or power players who enact their fantasy of "owning a system" or "running a blockade", defending "the honor of their princess" or something. They often get thrown in with the "gankers", but I wouldn't do that, especially not when power play is involved. You have to live with the fact that you might get shot at by enemies if you pledge. There are arguments made that some abuse power play for ganking... but the moment you pledge to a power, you paint a target on your back. PvP bounty hunters probably belong in that group too. If you have a bounty and I collect it, it's not ganking, I might make a judgement call, but if I want to collect a 1000 Cr bounty from a harmless CMDR, they are fair game.

Apart from those types I've met there are probably a few more idiot outliers out there. All of them act within the rules of the game - because there is no rule who you can attack and who you cannot. It is part of the game, and as everywhere in life, you have to deal with the presence of people you might not want to have to share your space with.

There's a few things you can do. The first is of course choosing the right mode for you. If you're not willing, or not able (yet) to deal with the danger of gankers, you can play in solo or PG. This might suck, because running into randos you might want to play with is part of the attraction of an online game. My personal experience is that it's overrated. For one, open is very empty anyway because space is big. You won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. The exception are hotspots - the area near the starter system (for Odyssey that's HIP 97950, I don't know where Horizons players start currently - the starter zone is dead in Live, as far as I am aware), the first engineer systems (usually Deciat), Sol, Shinrarta Dezhra, and usually the systems and areas CGs are taking place in.

The other reason why it's overrated is because that rando you might meet is a fantasy. The most I've gotten out of a random encounter outside of CGs is a simple "o7" at best, if the other player acknowledges you at all (I am guilty of this as well - often I only notice I met someone in a system much later when I've already moved on). If you don't arrange something, you're not going to play randomly with other players.

Other things you can do: You can of course block the gankers. This means either knowing their names somehow, or having encountered them at least once. Don't let anyone tell you you can't block people because you mess up instancing, blah blah. It's any players right to block someone for any or no reason as it's any player's right to shoot at you for no reason. Personally, my block list is empty, because I can deal with gankers.

If you don't want to block or switch modes, the only other thing you can do is be prepared. Meaning: First of all learn how to build a good ship. Never, ever ever fly a paper plane in open, much less in the hotspots. If you cannot afford to lose cargo or fail a mission, gaining 2, 4, 8 tons of cargo space by foregoing protection isn't worth it. Even an unengineered ship should be able to build up enough passive defences to withstand a ganker attack. Bring enough shields, and don't skip hull day. There will be special cases where you're just toast, especially unengineered, but those cases are probably out of your influence anyway.

And then learn how to evade a gank. In short terms:
  • be prepared to select a jump system in the nav panel - this means always have "systems" visible
  • four pips to systems - this boosts your shields to 2.5x the base strength
  • submit to the interdiction - this shortens the cooldown timer substantially
  • turn around and boost past your attacker - don't straight line unless you're really fast - we're talking speed iCourier or Viper fast here
  • select your escape system
  • wait for the cooldown, fly evasive, jump away
  • optional: After the jump, do an emergency drop - disable your thrusters in the right hand panel, you will drop to normal space and not leave a wake.

Then you have a choice - go back and try again (or repeat), block the perp, or change mode. The ganker in question is still annoying, and you might dislike that very much, but there is nothing you can do. It would be nice if system security would actually mean something, but let's face it - there are gankers out there that aren't even bothered when ATR show up, so...

TL;DR: Yes, they are just people playing the game. No, you don't have to like it, or like them, that's not required by the rules. The only thing you can do is not cry about them on the forums or reddit (they love that), choose the right mode for what you have planned and / or come well prepared.

Last edited:
I'm a newer player. For me, gancker is defined as someone who kills other players for no reason or just for the kill. This is different then pirates who just want the cargo

Example of gancking that seems common, sitting outside starting systems and killing new players. They don't have anything, can't defend themselves
Using that definition.

How do you feel about ganckers?
Aggrieved if it happens to me and annoyed that I let it happen.
Sad for them.

Are they people just playing the game?
They would say so but on the receiving end it is hard to tell.

Are they bullies?
They certainly come across that way.

Should there be a punishment for gancking? If so, what should it be?
Are you a gancker yourself?
No, I rarely even indulge in PvP because I don’t enjoy getting blown up and don’t wish to upset others. Pre arranged is different but I haven’t done that for ages.

If so, why? Does anyone have any stories to share regarding ganckers?
I was blown up a couple of times at Hutton Orbital doing the Christmas before last event whether they were a ganker or just a grinch I didn’t ask, like I said it is difficult to tell when you are the target.

Grinding is when you aren’t enjoying what you are doing to get what you want especially if you are finding it hard and repetitive.
If you are enjoying it it isn’t really grinding it’s just hard work.

The switchover between which is which varies from player to player
I didn't know that, that is a different way to view things

Does anyone have any stories to share regarding ganckers?
Since you asked, I can share a ganker story - it might not be very entertaining though. Still, it was one of the weirder ones, because it was in a more or less random system I had my carrier parked in; weird enough so I still remember it. Apart from that it's a typical star squatter ganker story.

I was returning from an afternoon of team AX battles in open and was on my way to my carrier to log out and call it a day. The carrier was in an uninhabited system near the war zone, and I think my carrier was even the only one in it.

So I jump to the system and turn towards my carrier when I notice a hollow square near the star, turning into a triangle. Great, a random ganker in a random system, I thought. Bang, interdiction detected. By a Chieftain of all ships - not your usual ganker ship.

So we do the dance, I submit, boost past them easily (I'm in a fast AX Krait armored to Frontier headquarters and back, so no real danger even to a murder FDL), wake out to supercruise at first because I had the slight hope they would eventually leave me alone or I'd make it to the carrier; it was really close to the star, but not close enough to make it immediately after jumping in. But even for an unexperienced ganker it should be clear that it's a stupid idea to attack a fast AX tank. So we repeat that two or three times, same result. It's clear that they won't leave me alone, so I high wake out.

Never giving up hope, I return to the system in the hope we might not instance or they've had enough, but not. Bang, interdiction detected. Sigh. So I jumped out one last time, dropped to normal space, logged out to solo and returned to my carrier. Afterwards I looked up the CMDR on Inara, and it was a really dumb profile with some cringy murder hobo role play, bragging how many CMDRs they had killed and all that jazz. All I could think: What a <mild expletive that still isn't allowed>.

That encounter wasn't fun. The CMDR didn't comunicate at all, no role play, nothing. They were just being annoying and prevented me from ending my session in a clean fashion. And wasted my time.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any stories to share regarding ganckers?
Oh, I almost forgot - I have another "ganker" story to share. I've told this one before. It's a good one.

I was hanging out in a streamer's stream, we were teamed up and doing some shenanigans in a ground settlement in open. One of the more prominent gankers of the community was also in the stream chat, and they had threatened to blow up said streamer a few times that evening. So we were out and about, my Viper was parked next to the settlement, and I was on the opposite side of the settlement after we had... cleared it, when I hear "your ship is under attack". At first it didn't register, and then I thought: Crap, that's my ship!

So I jump onto a roof to take a look what's going on; turns out said ganker was hovering over the settlement taking pot shots at our ships. The other team members made it out, barely but they did, but I was furthest away from my ship and didn't react quick enough (my ship would have survived if I had dismissed it), so sure enough, my ship explodes, and suddenly I am alone, because everyone else had left. I was alone. On foot. In an empty, dark, deactivated settlement. That was a very lonely moment.

And I laughed my behind of. It was very funny, partly because it was just a funny chaotic scene, partly because it was with announcement (which we maybe should have taken seriously), and partly because everyone involved knew each other at least in some capacity. We all had a good laugh. Also, it's the only time I actually lost a ship to a gank.

So yeah. It often very much depends on the circumstances.

Yeah, I don't like gankers.

Like, the kind hanging out in Deciat waiting for unwitting newbies who have just hauled a meta-alloy all the way from the Pleiades in an unengineered ship, ruining hours of progress and making sure these players will never be found in Open again.
I have a very specific word for this kind of person but the forum software won't let me post it.

So long story short: Just the fact that someone's playing in Open should not be understood as an invitation to attack them.

Quaero

Banned

How do you feel about ganckers? Are they people just playing the game? Are they bullies? Should there be a punishment for gancking? If so, what should it be? Are you a gancker yourself? If so, why? Does anyone have any stories to share regarding ganckers?
To me, at this point in my game, they are nothing more than content. To a newer player with no real combat exp and low funds just trying to get to farseer, they are surely a nuisance. It's one of those gray areas that though are certainly not a good thing to the individual being ganked at the moment, it may cause them to reach out to forums or reddit or work on combat skill or builds because it could happen again. They've also been the drive for whole communities against them that have banded together to work like ganker task forces. Gameplay and content. I don't gank or agree with harassment and trolling but in the end its just a game anyway so gankers gonna gank

Oh, I almost forgot - I have another "ganker" story to share. I've told this one before. It's a good one.

I was hanging out in a streamer's stream, we were teamed up and doing some shenanigans in a ground settlement in open. One of the more prominent gankers of the community was also in the stream chat, and they had threatened to blow up said streamer a few times that evening. So we were out and about, my Viper was parked next to the settlement, and I was on the opposite side of the settlement after we had... cleared it, when I hear "your ship is under attack". At first it didn't register, and then I thought: Crap, that's my ship!

So I jump onto a roof to take a look what's going on; turns out said ganker was hovering over the settlement taking pot shots at our ships. The other team members made it out, barely but they did, but I was furthest away from my ship and didn't react quick enough (my ship would have survived if I had dismissed it), so sure enough, my ship explodes, and suddenly I am alone, because everyone else had left. I was alone. On foot. In an empty, dark, deactivated settlement. That was a very lonely moment.

And I laughed my behind of. It was very funny, partly because it was just a funny chaotic scene, partly because it was with announcement (which we maybe should have taken seriously), and partly because everyone involved knew each other at least in some capacity. We all had a good laugh. Also, it's the only time I actually lost a ship to a gank.

So yeah. It often very much depends on the circumstances.
How did you leave with no ship

How do you get materials at all? You have to work for it. How do you get credits, working for it. Right? How do you engineer without raw material mining?
I get all my materials without what most would call "grinding". Granted, I have a good base stock, and I've been collecting them for a long time, but for the amount of engineering I do (and I still do some), the materials more or less just roll in without me putting any "work" in it.

Raw materials: About once a year or so I make a trip to the crystal shard sites in HIP 36601. I make it an event, so I take a day for preparation and travel, one for actually collecting, and maybe another one to travel back. Before I set off I trade down all my G4 mats except Selenium (no Selenium at the shard sites) down into the other bins. Then I travel to the shard site (it's about 1500 ly, so around 30 jumps, about half an hour to 45 minutes travel time for me), collect the materials, fly back. Can be done in one evening, I usually do it in two or three sessions, because I tend to get sick of the game after driving around in the SRV in VR after a while. I hear there are alternatives to the crystal shard sites, but I haven't needed raw materials for a while now.

Manufactured materials: These days I get all of them from Thargoid missions. A single "Kill a Cyclops" mission gives you six units of either Biotech Conductors of Exquisite Focus Crystals, and you can stack them very nicely so one kill counts for multiple missions. I use those to trade over or down for whatever I need. As I do AX regularly, I even have to make sure to trade those so I can take all material mission rewards. Trading over for other G5 materials is not very efficient, but I don't care.

Encoded materials: My bins are more or less all full, and I haven't consciously collected data in years. I scan a lot of ships when bounty hunting, and I scan every ship I encounter in supercruise. My data stocks practically fill themselves.

So for me, with my admitted well equipped base stock, there is no grind or "work" required. Your mileage may vary.

You might think the person behind the CMDR might be a bully or worse, but it's dangerous armchair psychology to automatically make the connection ganker-bully or worse - they have been called sociopaths and other stuff.
yeah, there's a thread on reddit right now where they're being described in terms like "filth" and "disease", talking about how mobius is safe because you have to fill out a form and "gankers are too stupid" and it's like...

bro it's not healthy to think about other human beings like that

yeah, there's a thread on reddit right now where they're being described in terms like "filth" and "disease", talking about how mobius is safe because you have to fill out a form and "gankers are too stupid" and it's like...

bro it's not healthy to think about other human beings like that
There are, or were, certainly gankers I would not want to be in the same room with if I could help it. But that probably goes for "normal" CMDRs as well. Are there donkey holes amongst gankers? Most certainly. Is that a surprise? Probably to no one who ever left the house. The world is full of them, because it is full of all kinds of people. But, as in real life outside, most of them are probably regular Joes who just have potentially questionable gameplay ethics.

I get all my materials without what most would call "grinding". Granted, I have a good base stock, and I've been collecting them for a long time, but for the amount of engineering I do (and I still do some), the materials more or less just roll in without me putting any "work" in it.

Raw materials: About once a year or so I make a trip to the crystal shard sites in HIP 36601. I make it an event, so I take a day for preparation and travel, one for actually collecting, and maybe another one to travel back. Before I set off I trade down all my G4 mats except Selenium (no Selenium at the shard sites) down into the other bins. Then I travel to the shard site (it's about 1500 ly, so around 30 jumps, about half an hour to 45 minutes travel time for me), collect the materials, fly back. Can be done in one evening, I usually do it in two or three sessions, because I tend to get sick of the game after driving around in the SRV in VR after a while. I hear there are alternatives to the crystal shard sites, but I haven't needed raw materials for a while now.

Manufactured materials: These days I get all of them from Thargoid missions. A single "Kill a Cyclops" mission gives you six units of either Biotech Conductors of Exquisite Focus Crystals, and you can stack them very nicely so one kill counts for multiple missions. I use those to trade over or down for whatever I need. As I do AX regularly, I even have to make sure to trade those so I can take all material mission rewards. Trading over for other G5 materials is not very efficient, but I don't care.

Encoded materials: My bins are more or less all full, and I haven't consciously collected data in years. I scan a lot of ships when bounty hunting, and I scan every ship I encounter in supercruise. My data stocks practically fill themselves.

So for me, with my admitted well equipped base stock, there is no grind or "work" required. Your mileage may vary.
So how would a new player like myself do that, relatively low jump distance, no combat experience and no credits for combat modules and ships.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom