How do you fill in the gaps in your zoo?

I was thinking about this the other day and wanted to create this thread to share our ideas.

So just as the title says: how do you fill the gaps between a path and a habitat barrier? Or gaps when putting down paths?

I took some screenshots of my current zoo. Here is a gap filled with foliage and rocks. I just dislike it when there's a gap between the path and whatever is on the other side. It doesn't look aesthetically pleasing so I always try to fill it with something. There was a small gap (which I created intentionally) where the signpost stands.

20201117090256_1.jpg

I put some fence down and a vending machine. Lots of foliage and rocks. The line and the contrast between the path and the grass still looks a bit weird to me, like it's not finished.

20201117090313_1.jpg

Here, I tried with an education board, more foliage and rocks, a bin, and benches. Of course, it helps that there's a giant tree in the middle. I almost always try to hide the edge of the path.

20201117090402_1.jpg

If you have any tips on how to be more creative with this particular thing, I would love to hear it! :)

Great thread! To be honest, I try to avoid putting two pathes next to each other, just because of that. My poor guests have basically no other chance than walk against the stream or walk through the whole zoo :D

I was thinking about this the other day and wanted to create this thread to share our ideas.

So just as the title says: how do you fill the gaps between a path and a habitat barrier? Or gaps when putting down paths?

I took some screenshots of my current zoo. Here is a gap filled with foliage and rocks. I just dislike it when there's a gap between the path and whatever is on the other side. It doesn't look aesthetically pleasing so I always try to fill it with something. There was a small gap (which I created intentionally) where the signpost stands.

View attachment 195765

I put some fence down and a vending machine. Lots of foliage and rocks. The line and the contrast between the path and the grass still looks a bit weird to me, like it's not finished.

View attachment 195766

Here, I tried with an education board, more foliage and rocks, a bin, and benches. Of course, it helps that there's a giant tree in the middle. I almost always try to hide the edge of the path.

View attachment 195767

If you have any tips on how to be more creative with this particular thing, I would love to hear it! :)

Well, first off I do not use the game path system because I play with a close zoo, and prefer the map without the visitors. However when I built I still make sure that a game path can easily be placed under the construction tiles. The reason why I tell you this, is because it goes both ways, if you cover the game path system with any floor tile you prefer (concrete or Plaster work best and you can color them however you want) it will give you the flexibility of taking the pathway all the way to the barrier, it simplifies things tremendously, and also increases realism in your design. An example would be the Plexiglas barrier, in real life zoos you would have no gaps in between the walkways and the viewing areas, it just would not make sense, so covering the game's path system with you own choice of construction materials would take care of that.

In addition the benefits you get aesthetically are unbeatable, this all depends on how you like your zoo to look of course. But if you are trying to get as close to real life as possible, when it comes to the look of your zoo, then is by far the way to go. The game pathing system makes it look a bit more like a sim and genetic, covering their path with construction materials will give you that high end look that you would find outside of a Sim game, and you would find in games like Uncharted 4, GTA 5, This is us, Tom Clancy's the division (this one has a zoo map, amazing, worth checking out)

Another benefit is the way you will be able to manipulate the terrain in the game to your advantage, once the pathing system is no longer a factor. Look at the pictures you posted, that is 99 percent of what you will built in Planet Zoo by players, the pathing system is at the same level as the grass, etc, now you can elevate or push down the grass, but it will not be a clean design or realistic as the same gaps you mentioned will appear. This is when creating your own walkways gives you a huge advantage, now you can design any kind of map you did like. As we do in real life during landscape architectural design in zoos you can create natural boulders of grass over your path, etc, the sky is the limit here, and your only barrier will be imagination.

Lastly, and this might be the biggest benefit of all because it has to do with gameplay, often you see visitors clipping against everything in this game, walking thru walls, etc. By creating your own walkway over the game's, you are now in the drivers seat, and have full control of where you want the visitors to walk or not. At first glance it would appear they can walk anywhere, since all the path looks the same, but if there is no official game path underneath your design, they simply can not. Now you have eliminated all of the unrealistic clipping etc that takes place in the game.

Give a try, it is up to you what you want your game map to look like, it is a lot of work, and it does require a level of patience, but the end result is incredibly realistic and it motivates you to keep on elevating your design in other facets.

Well, first off I do not use the game path system because I play with a close zoo, and prefer the map without the visitors. However when I built I still make sure that a game path can easily be placed under the construction tiles. The reason why I tell you this, is because it goes both ways, if you cover the game path system with any floor tile you prefer (concrete or Plaster work best and you can color them however you want) it will give you the flexibility of taking the pathway all the way to the barrier, it simplifies things tremendously, and also increases realism in your design. An example would be the Plexiglas barrier, in real life zoos you would have no gaps in between the walkways and the viewing areas, it just would not make sense, so covering the game's path system with you own choice of construction materials would take care of that.

In addition the benefits you get aesthetically are unbeatable, this all depends on how you like your zoo to look of course. But if you are trying to get as close to real life as possible, when it comes to the look of your zoo, then is by far the way to go. The game pathing system makes it look a bit more like a sim and genetic, covering their path with construction materials will give you that high end look that you would find outside of a Sim game, and you would find in games like Uncharted 4, GTA 5, This is us, Tom Clancy's the division (this one has a zoo map, amazing, worth checking out)

Another benefit is the way you will be able to manipulate the terrain in the game to your advantage, once the pathing system is no longer a factor. Look at the pictures you posted, that is 99 percent of what you will built in Planet Zoo by players, the pathing system is at the same level as the grass, etc, now you can elevate or push down the grass, but it will not be a clean design or realistic as the same gaps you mentioned will appear. This is when creating your own walkways gives you a huge advantage, now you can design any kind of map you did like. As we do in real life during landscape architectural design in zoos you can create natural boulders of grass over your path, etc, the sky is the limit here, and your only barrier will be imagination.

Lastly, and this might be the biggest benefit of all because it has to do with gameplay, often you see visitors clipping against everything in this game, walking thru walls, etc. By creating your own walkway over the game's, you are now in the drivers seat, and have full control of where you want the visitors to walk or not. At first glance it would appear they can walk anywhere, since all the path looks the same, but if there is no official game path underneath your design, they simply can not. Now you have eliminated all of the unrealistic clipping etc that takes place in the game.

Give a try, it is up to you what you want your game map to look like, it is a lot of work, and it does require a level of patience, but the end result is incredibly realistic and it motivates you to keep on elevating your design in other facets.

Thank you, Danny, for your very thorough answer. However, I must say, right now, I am not interested in building a zoo without guests. I am aware of putting down building pieces (as you said, plaster is one of the best for this) to cover the paths, but it increases the piece count, and it's not something you would see in a more natural zoo. I have used it before, especially indoors, but I feel it makes the zoo look "fake" if I use it outside. Unless I go for a very slick and super modern design, then maybe, but otherwise not.

I am very much like you in that it always bothers me to have empty spaces. I usually try to fill them with plants and random decoration. One thing I love to do is adding water features! A small brook, pond or little waterfall, for example, can really break things up beautifully.
My zoo https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/paradise-planet.556846/ has some examples.

Some things I want to improve in, though, are working more with open spaces and getting better at making buildings. In real life, you often have lawns for people to chill and stuff, and I found that is something my builds are really lacking. Also, working well with bigger path sections is something I want to improve on, as I keep seeing how people use this really beautifully in their zoos. Mixing up the elevation is something, that helps, too.
Interesting buildings can also be a great filler for bigger spaces, be it restaurants or what ever else. But my architecture skills are not quite there yet.

I am very much like you in that it always bothers me to have empty spaces. I usually try to fill them with plants and random decoration. One thing I love to do is adding water features! A small brook, pond or little waterfall, for example, can really break things up beautifully.
My zoo https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/paradise-planet.556846/ has some examples.

Some things I want to improve in, though, are working more with open spaces and getting better at making buildings. In real life, you often have lawns for people to chill and stuff, and I found that is something my builds are really lacking. Also, working well with bigger path sections is something I want to improve on, as I keep seeing how people use this really beautifully in their zoos. Mixing up the elevation is something, that helps, too.
Interesting buildings can also be a great filler for bigger spaces, be it restaurants or what ever else. But my architecture skills are not quite there yet.

I agree with everything you said. Realistically, you would also see a lot of unkept areas in a zoo. In the game, however, it doesn't look very natural to have a very clear line between the path and grass. Good thing you reminded me about water features, it's something I overlook a lot. Elevation is something I struggle with, be it terrain or paths. But I'm trying to learn and get better.

Thank you, Danny, for your very thorough answer. However, I must say, right now, I am not interested in building a zoo without guests. I am aware of putting down building pieces (as you said, plaster is one of the best for this) to cover the paths, but it increases the piece count, and it's not something you would see in a more natural zoo. I have used it before, especially indoors, but I feel it makes the zoo look "fake" if I use it outside. Unless I go for a very slick and super modern design, then maybe, but otherwise not.

Did not meant that you should play with a close zoo of course, it was just an example. It is something that is easily done with guests as well. But it seems you have tried it and are happier with the way it currently works, so that is fine. As far as the construction pieces not looking natural, it really depends on what you are using, you can create the pathways of any material including logs, dirt, mud you name it. There are a handful of official path designs that look pretty good and definitely pass as realistic.

Top Bottom