How does a minor misunderstanding with the local controlling faction affect the BGS, and Fleet Carriers.

I've had a minor misunderstanding with the Controlling faction in a few systems I work in, and am not entirely clear how this affects different aspects of the BGS. I've seen (quite recently) a chart breaking down how different actions can affect the BGS, but it left a few details unclear with me. As I understand it, the things that were said and done only negatively the Controlling faction, no matter which factions ships were involved? Is this correct?

So, if Faction A is the Controlling faction, but I borrow some weapons or gold from one of faction B's ships, then I get a bounty from faction B, but my actions would negatively affect faction A's influence in the system?

Additionally, if someone were to smuggle illicit goods borrowed from faction B's ships into a station controlled by faction C, who is negativily affected? The faction controlling the system (A) or the faction controlling the station (C)?

And finally, this misunderstanding has escalated and I'm now carrying a hefty bounty which has led to faction A declaring themselves hostile to me in every system they control, and denying me landing permission at any station they control. Am I right in assuming the only way those feelings will change is if I land at a station controlled by a different faction and then work for faction A?

If your notoriety has cooled off then you need an interstellar factor to pay off the fine/bounty. EDSM/EDDB/INARA to find it.

{Edit:} reading the link - I might be talking out of turn as it seems your problem isnt just having a bounty - sorry just trying to help :)

Last edited:
1) smuggling definitely hurts only the station-controlling faction
2) your illegal actions should impact only the faction that issued a bounty on you, independenly of who's controlling the system
3) in regard to your revoked docking privileges, there are two reasons why this can happen
a) the faction issued a bounty on you -> just pay it at any interstellar factor
b) you bothered to much a faction and now they are hostile -> just wait a few days without bothering them and their opinion of you will raise spontaneously to unfriendly

As I understand it, the things that were said and done only negatively the Controlling faction, no matter which factions ships were involved? Is this correct?
If there's an effect (I'm presuming you're talking about the effects of receiving a bounty), then you're close... it's the faction who's jurisdiction you are in, which is not necessarily the controlling faction.
So, if Faction A is the Controlling faction, but I borrow some weapons or gold from one of faction B's ships, then I get a bounty from faction B, but my actions would negatively affect faction A's influence in the system?
If violent crime got you there, and again if the Controlling Faction has jurisdiction, then yes, it'll affect Faction A.

Additionally, if someone were to smuggle illicit goods borrowed from faction B's ships into a station controlled by faction C, who is negativily affected? The faction controlling the system (A) or the faction controlling the station (C)?
Faction controlling the station (C)... noting that if that faction is an Anarchy, there is no negative impact.

And finally, this misunderstanding has escalated and I'm now carrying a hefty bounty which has led to faction A declaring themselves hostile to me in every system they control, and denying me landing permission at any station they control. Am I right in assuming the only way those feelings will change is if I land at a station controlled by a different faction and then work for faction A?
Yup, or just wait a couple days.

@Dissidious and Jmanis, thank you, that is very useful information, and this is going to be more fun now. I've paid off countess millions of bounties over the years, but I've no intention of ever paying these. This will help me work around keeping a growing bounty.

Well I'll be...I thought once things went hostile I had to make peace (or never enter their ports) by doing a few missions....ha!! not ever again :D

Faction negative rep anti-decay - where your rep with a faction slowly drifts upwards from Hostile to Unfriendly - has always been in the game, since the introduction of minor factions. It became more noticeable once factions were given the power to prohibit you from docking while Hostile. Rep anti-decay is essential now, because there are many factions that control every single starport in every system they are present in - without decay, you would be forever banned from docking in those star systems once you became Hostile, with no capacity to undo the damage.

"Making peace by doing missions" works faster, if the faction deigns to give you any missions. A Hostile faction isn't likely to give you many.

Crimes are all about Jurisdictions. Which faction gets upset with you for committing crimes depends on which faction contols the jurisdiction where the crimes occur.

Piracy: most of the space in a star system is under the jurisdiction of the controlling faction of the system, so they are the ones who give you the negative rep for the crime (as well as negative rep from the victim; if your victim is a controlling-faction ship, then you get a double-whammy negative rep). There are, however, "bubbles" of space 1000 km radius around space stations that are owned by other factions, within which that other faction has jurisdiction.

Example: suppose a star sytem is Controlled by a Fed Dem faction. They own most of the starports, except for one outpost which is owned by an Imp Corp faction. Committing piracy anywhere in this system will make that Fed Dem faction dislike you more, unless your piracy act happens to occur within 1000km of that Imp station, in which case the Feds won't care but the Imps will.

Smuggling: since this happens entirely within the jurisdiction of a space station, then the space station controller is the only one affected. System controller is irrelevant; they don't care and aren't hurt by your actions, since it's outside their jurisdiction.

There are, however, "bubbles" of space 1000 km radius around space stations that are owned by other factions, within which that other faction has jurisdiction
Also, for faction-owned surface ports and installations, both dockable and non-dockable, jurisdiction extends to about 350km out and covers ships and skimmers.

So, in an unrelated note, and pulling it all back on topic....
... this is the biggest thing I look forward to about fleet carriers. I'm anticipating having to make a choice between ability to hand in combat bonds and ability to run missions out of my FC (former feels like it's part of the Bounty Hunter fit, while latter feels part of the Mercenary fit), but if I can get just one or both, I'll have the freedom to actually fight the way I want to, which is to get hostile with all enemies while I wrest control into my own faction's hands.

Top Bottom