How does jump range and fuel work?

I'm using the Diamondback Explorer with the following jump range stats:

Min: 30.0
Current: 29.97
Max: 36.71

I am carrying 80 tons of fuel, no cargo, no weapons. With this fit, Coriolis shows my maximum travel range to be 545 light years. However, I traveled to a system 500 light years away and it didn't even use 25% of my fuel. I could have easily traveled 2,000 light years before having to refuel. Is the Coriolis site just giving a bad maximum range estimate? Is there some kind of calculator or formula for seeing what my actual maximum travel range is?

Seeing as how this fit is not engineered and is dirt cheap, I might just set a route for 2,000+ light years, see how far I can get, then just self-destruct when I finally run out of fuel. Not a very scientific way to test it out, but it would probably work.

I'm using the Diamondback Explorer with the following jump range stats:

Min: 30.0
Current: 29.97
Max: 36.71

I am carrying 80 tons of fuel, no cargo, no weapons. With this fit, Coriolis shows my maximum travel range to be 545 light years. However, I traveled to a system 500 light years away and it didn't even use 25% of my fuel. I could have easily traveled 2,000 light years before having to refuel. Is the Coriolis site just giving a bad maximum range estimate? Is there some kind of calculator or formula for seeing what my actual maximum travel range is?

80 tons of fuel is nearly 3 times the standard fuel tank, so you have extras of course. Coriolis shows 234ly and no cargo with just the standard fuel tank, it doesn't take into account the reduced mass as you use fuel, it assumes you scoop every star so jump range is always based on a full fuel load so is always less than the distance you can travel if you don't scoop, they don't do any calculations based on reduced mass per jump so yes you can jump a lot further than coriolis says if you don't scoop. There's a an equation somewhere on the forums that will calculate it for you.

as you travel your ship gets lighter (less fuel carried) that effects range so i give up🤷‍♂️
just carrie a small fuel scoop and forget about it...................
kgb foam an all

Not a fan of fuel scoops. Not a single one of my builds uses one. That's why I'd like to know the absolute maximum range with my fuel load.

80 tons of fuel is nearly 3 times the standard fuel tank, so you have extras of course. Coriolis shows 234ly and no cargo with just the standard fuel tank, it doesn't take into account the reduced mass as you use fuel, it assumes you scoop every star so jump range is always based on a full fuel load so is always less than the distance you can travel if you don't scoop, they don't do any calculations based on reduced mass per jump so yes you can jump a lot further than coriolis says if you don't scoop. There's a an equation somewhere on the forums that will calculate it for you.

Thank you, I will try to find that.

the kessel run in under 12 par secs beat that if you can work that out lol;)
EDIT
actually i think that can make kinda sense if taking a short cut as it is a measurement of distance(3.26ly) not time, han solo the NS jumper who knew!
meaning the kessel run is probably around the the 40ly + mark if taking the long way round:unsure:

Last edited:
I'll just make runs back and forth from my home system to Sothis until I run out of fuel and see what the total light years ends up being. Maybe I can derive some kind of formula from that along the lines of mass / fuel tonnage.

Your fuel usage depends on your routing. The further you jump the more fuel you use, this is not linear. The range Coriolis shows you is probably the range when doing consecutive max range jumps, but you have much more range when you do more but shorter jumps. This is why economical routing can get you to your destination with the fuel you carry while fastest routing may not.

Your fuel usage depends on your routing. The further you jump the more fuel you use, this is not linear. The range Coriolis shows you is probably the range when doing consecutive max range jumps, but you have much more range when you do more but shorter jumps. This is why economical routing can get you to your destination with the fuel you carry while fastest routing may not.

I haven't quite figured out how to get my ship to do max-range jumps. The system I frequently visit is only 500 light years away, but it is 76 jumps. So, I guess I have it set to just take the shorter jumps along the route. My ship should be able to do that route in about 15 jumps.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the off licence, but that's just peanuts to space.”​

but it gets a whole lot smaller using the neutron jump super highways an a couple of afmu's:rolleyes:
just target any star within the current set range dont plot any route for max range jumping using fsd boosts and neutron stars when ever possible to get max range per jump etc
if your objective is the quickest time possible

Last edited:
I haven't quite figured out how to get my ship to do max-range jumps. The system I frequently visit is only 500 light years away, but it is 76 jumps. So, I guess I have it set to just take the shorter jumps along the route. My ship should be able to do that route in about 15 jumps.

Ah of course, that's why you only used 25% of fuel, short jumps will use exponentially less fuel than full range jumps, you are using economy mode as already suggested. Basically if you do 2x15ly jumps instead of 1x30ly jump you should use only a quarter of the fuel for the same distance.

That's why I'd like to know the absolute maximum range with my fuel load.
There isn't one. Absolute maximum range, that is. Coriolis (my guess) simply calculates the number of maximum range jumps, using the fuel amount for the first jump. If you switch to economic route plotting in the game, your range increases. By how much - that will depend on the density of stars around you, i.e. how short you can make the jumps while still making progress towards your target. So, in order to calculate your absolute amximum range, you'd need to either make assumptions about the star density on your route or (manually, unless you write a program) calculate a single specific route with all the intermediary stops.

That calculation (and the formulae) have been done before, they should be floating around somewhere - either here in the forums or on one of the related sites (Spansh, Canonn or Hutton Truckers would be my first guess). As for the absolute maximum range of a purpose fitted Anaconda - it's over 22,000 ly 😁 .

The system I frequently visit is only 500 light years away, but it is 76 jumps. So, I guess I have it set to just take the shorter jumps along the route. My ship should be able to do that route in about 15 jumps.
Yeah - switch to "fastest" route. On the other hand, depending on where you actually are, enabling Neutron boosts could brting down that number of jumps by a factor 3..4.

i am lazy nowadays i just use the carrier if i want to go far taking alotted cat naps during iump wait times:ROFLMAO:
a little goiding or frontlining makes fuel easily affordable as mining trit is a bit of a chore fa sure but can be therapeutic at times just watching the limpits do there thing to
voice attack pre selected tunes

Last edited:
Top Bottom