How I would explore with a FC

I'd rather lobby for Codex Discoveries to get a (massive) boost over adding UC personally.

15 million is just too easy to come by with honk-scoop to make it in any way interesting. If relogging an existing trait in Codex paid 2.5 million (instead of 2.5 thousand) I think you'd be getting there with five or six geological sites.

I do think the carrier should back up cartographics so you're free to muck about in a small ship with no fear of losing data but I'm with the probable Dev idea that Cartographics is OP for a carrier economy, while admitting that from here not having UC looks tough.

I was always under the impression that you had to come back to sell because it's more or less impossible to be instantaneuous data across the galaxy.

But.. if all you want to do is stay out in space, no one is stopping you. If you want to stay out exploring, why would you need credits to begin with?

-k

To the first point I would bring up the fact that one can telepresence instantly across the galaxy. But.. there is also the telepresence SLF range restriction so they already have arbitrary inconsistencies, so if they say we can send our commanders likeness across the galaxy and physically interact with objects, but not send simple data packets, I would not be surprised.

The answer to your second point is simple: Upkeep.

FDEV continually paints themselves into corners..

But as we can see, this opens a whole new can of potential inconsistencies. That's possibly why they didn't dare to add it...

You can always explain things away; no faction present on carrier (independent pilot run) cartographics can't be accredited etc etc.
Like I say, I get it that UC looks an obvious ommission but I really feel that with it you're in equally unsatisfactory territory.

How many times have people said that credits not being an issue takes something away? Well now (with no UC) credits are an issue and that makes a game. So I think buffing anything or everything else is a better idea than "honk-scoop and carrier is done".

The uc thing seems silly cause you can magically manage a FC from across the galaxy right but not send uc data!

Faster than light is always an issue, with multicrew too. In lore it would have to be about who is licensed to supply Universal Cartographics, rather than who can send an email. As independent Pilots I think you and I wouldn't have security clearance.

If they added UC to carriers, they could make its so that CMDRs could set a tariff on it. Like if you sell data at my carrier, 2% of the money goes to the carrier. The money comes from the same place it does now: (?)

Ah, that would work too. The 2% would have to come out of the payout to the seller, so they would make slightly less, but that's similar to how the other FC services work. I still think there should be a service charge for UC too, as you'd need to pay for them to set up their kit there and staff it.

Ah, that would work too. The 2% would have to come out of the payout to the seller, so they would make slightly less, but that's similar to how the other FC services work. I still think there should be a service charge for UC too, as you'd need to pay for them to set up their kit there and staff it.
Right, it could function as the other services to. As in purchase price and addition to weekly upkeep

Don’t really need the bubble either. Just cash in the data somewhere. Explorers anchorage may become relevant as it’s literally at the center.

I still think they should add UC to them. But you can put a stripped down ship on the carrier for data/bubble runs
They can't have UC service. As has been pointed out in a couple other threads, before long there will be carriers scattered thinly all across the galaxy. If they all have UC (and what deep space exploration carrier wouldn't install that service?) then the dominant mode of exploration becomes: go as far as you like, sell data, suicidewinder back to the Bubble. This is exactly why FDev have refused to add e.g. an outpost out at Beagle.

They can't have UC service. As has been pointed out in a couple other threads, before long there will be carriers scattered thinly all across the galaxy. If they all have UC (and what deep space exploration carrier wouldn't install that service?) then the dominant mode of exploration becomes: go as far as you like, sell data, suicidewinder back to the Bubble. This is exactly why FDev have refused to add e.g. an outpost out at Beagle.
Simple solution, as has repeatedly been suggested, is to have no ability to purchase ships on a carrier with UC, simply flag the modules as incompatible.
Also, enjoy your 1Bn+ Cr transfer fee to get your explo ship delivered back to the bubble from the carrier for next time you want to go out.

Like, seriously, I remember manually flying my Corvette to Colonia to save the 900,000,000Cr transfer fee. I don't even want to imagine what it'd cost to get it back from Beagle Point...

Here's a crazy question: would that really be so terrible? I mean sure it would obviously be an exploit, but would it actually hurt anything in the game? If someone wants to pay the huge ship transfer amount to do that then honestly, would it harm anything or anyone to let them?

Because we don't want to come back. Full stop; I wanted a FC to never ever have to return to the Bubble. Ever. Some of us literally want to spend time going where no one has gone before. Having to trek back 20,000 ly back to sell data sucks when you're literally in the middle of nowhere.
Where no one has gone before and never come back? So what is the use of the first discovered tag, or money for that matter? I am sure there are explorers who jump around and making discoveries for the fun of it, not for the recognition and attached name (or at least not for several years). Self-sufficient repairing their ships if necessary with the modules they brought along. Why would they burden themselves with npc-employees and other services?

Where no one has gone before and never come back? So what is the use of the first discovered tag, or money for that matter? I am sure there are explorers who jump around and making discoveries for the fun of it, not for the recognition and attached name (or at least not for several years). Self-sufficient repairing their ships if necessary with the modules they brought along. Why would they burden themselves with npc-employees and other services?
I'd like to be able to repair drives without having to return to a repair shop. It's about the only thing you can't do through wilderness resource collection and AFMUs. Whether it's worth the 5+ billion credits for an outfitted carrier, and occasional mining sorties for the fuel and upkeep, will be down to individual CMDRs and how FD ultimately balances the game. But it does remain the final gap for complete self-sufficiency, and it may be a gap that the carriers can fill.

Of course the other advantage, once you have a carrier, is that not all exploration ships need to be fully self-sufficient as long as they stay within reasonable range of the carrier.

I'm assuming you could also fill an exploration carrier with SRVs, which would work around the two-per-bay limit imposed on ships. Same for SLF restocking.

Last edited:
I'd like to be able to repair drives without having to return to a repair shop. It's about the only thing you can't do through wilderness resource collection and AFMUs. Whether it's worth the 5+ billion credits for an outfitted carrier, and occasional mining sorties for the fuel and upkeep, will be down to individual CMDRs and how FD ultimately balances the game. But it does remain the final gap for complete self-sufficiency, and it may be a gap that the carriers can fill.

Of course the other advantage, once you have a carrier, is that not all exploration ships need to be fully self-sufficient as long as they stay within reasonable range of the carrier.

I'm assuming you could also fill an exploration carrier with SRVs, which would work around the two-per bay limit imposed on ships. Same for SLF restocking.

That is a good point, I had to return to the next station a few times as well because i lost an SRV. Would be a lot more frustrating in deep space.
Wanting to switch exploration-ships far away from the next station is a nice idea, but seems to me like luxury, which is exactly what fleet carriers are (for single player purposes).

You don't need to jump with your FC. You could just go exploring (and mining) along the flight path in the time it takes the FC to jump.
Just meet up when it arrives. This is what I intend to do. And maybe find out why the FC is along for the ride.

Top Bottom