How long can I orbit?

So I just entered orbit around a crashed Anacaonda planet and life happened. Was called away and can't get back for a bit.
Just wondering if I'll come back to a rebuy. How long until I orbit myself to an empty gastank?

When you log out you will be dropped into normal space near the location you were and nothing happens until you log back in.

I guess it depends on how full your fuel tank was and what ship it is, but I would guess quite a while. Is there no-one you could ask to go in and press a few keys? Or even turn off the router? Or pull the plug on the computer?

This is a how long is a piece of string class question.

If you aren't at the main menu or logged out you will last for the length of time your life support is rated (5-25 mins) at after you have run out of fuel, how long it takes to run out of fuel depends on what modules you have fitted and how much was in the tank when life messed you up.
There is a units per hour reading on the fuel gauge and you can see the effects of various modules by powering them off in the modules tab.

So full tank and efficient modules it could be a few hours or more, dryish tank and power hungry equipment and it will be a lot less..

So I just entered orbit around a crashed Anacaonda planet and life happened. Was called away and can't get back for a bit.
Just wondering if I'll come back to a rebuy. How long until I orbit myself to an empty gastank?
If you are in a small ship like a sidewinder or eagle you can easily run out of fuel if you got distracted and left your ship orbiting. A big ship can go for a very very long time.

This happened to me while doing exobiology in deep space a month ago. I left an Eagle MkII in orbit and IRL I left to get something, got distracted, forgot... returned an hour later to a rebuy screen. -> always best to log out!

This happened to me while doing exobiology in deep space a month ago. I left an Eagle MkII in orbit and IRL I left to get something, got distracted, forgot... returned an hour later to a rebuy screen. -> always best to log out!
If you are landed, is fuel consumption still non-zero?

If you are landed, is fuel consumption still non-zero?

If you are landed and the ship is dismissed - it's not in orbit - it's simply no longer in the game. Ship fuel consumption is zero
If you are landed and the ship is not dismissed, it still uses fuel - only thrusters are shut off, rest of the systems are running and using power, which uses fuel.
However, while landed, in the SRV - you use Srv fuel, and when that runs out - and it sometimes runs out much faster than ship fuel - boom, rebuy screen

So, best is not afk with the game running, just log off and shutdown the game

If you are landed and the ship is dismissed - it's not in orbit - it's simply no longer in the game. Ship fuel consumption is zero
If you are landed and the ship is not dismissed, it still uses fuel - only thrusters are shut off, rest of the systems are running and using power, which uses fuel.
However, while landed, in the SRV - you use Srv fuel, and when that runs out - and it sometimes runs out much faster than ship fuel - boom, rebuy screen

So, best is not afk with the game running, just log off and shutdown the game

Just maybe we should mention as well, because it has been misunderstood in the past, just pressing the ESC key and bringing up the menu does NOT take you out of the game, you are still in game and using fuel, exiting to the main menu or the desktop are the two options you should consider.

Top Bottom