How much of the Galaxy has been explored?

The new automatic scanning of stars will make the galaxy look more discovered than before. I reckon the direct path to Colonia will be fully stellar tagged soon.

I just hope FD have the memory to save all this extra data?

I played around with the figures in the hope of making what we'd explored so far seem really tiny but instead I discovered how huge the Earth is!

The surface area of the Earth is around 196,900,000 square miles. So 0.001% of that is about 1,969 square miles.

I was expecting to discover that we'd explored the Earth equivalent of something like the size of Central Park but it turns out we've already explored Trinidad and Tobago!

I have to point out, that still isn't even an area the size of Wales :D

(For those of you not from Britain, that's the equivalent that news readers here use for describing lots things in perspective of size. And looking at those figures, Wales is about 4x that).

Not to mention that Wales has had Yetis in it (according to Doctor Who)...

Did you know the land surface area of Earth (excluding sea) is pretty much the same as the and surface area of Mars?

And we haven't discovered very much at all of Earth's underwater realms.

I'm still finding undiscovered Earth-likes with 700 ly of Sol, and my first ever ringed Earthlike (after 3 years of searching) within 2800ly of Sol. There are amazing things out there still.

Last edited:
Mind you, Frontier's tweet was about people having discovered five times as many systems as there were on EDSM at the time, not there being five times as many explorers.
What Tweet?

It's a reasonable assumption that they correlate. In fact, EDSM users are probably more likely to be dedicated explorers than non-EDSM users are.

The vast majority of the stars lie in the core. I'd be willing to bet lunch that the arms and errata make up around 20% or less of the galaxy's mass. Even exploring the arms would take forever, never mind one sector of core space.

On a side note I always imagine Professor Frink standing next to the Gambletron describing how the stellar forge works.
"Sure, it looks impressive - don't touch it - but I predict that in 20 years simulations will be twice as good, be hundreds of times larger and only the five richest kings of Europe will be able to afford them."

Last edited:
Actually, it will take a long time. Just by looking at the numbers, you can see it.

4 billion stars in the Elite galaxy, that's 4,000,000,000. So far about 30,000,000 have been recorded on EDSM, and about 1,000,000 new ones each month. With about 3,970,000,000 stars to still go, and only doing 1 million a month, That's 3,970 months right there.

But maybe i'm missing something, so let me know if I did.
I thought there were 400 billion star systems in our Galaxy. I know I have encountered numerous star systems with more than one star, but it only counts as one star system.

Until someone at FD will hit secret button which randomizes the galaxy again.

Fresh RNG. Fresh start.

AdvancedAlarmingArrowana-small.gif

We need some 20-100 LY flash sensors that detect unnatural "anomalies" or specific planetary bodies over multiple star systems etc. Its matter of numbers and we simply jump all ower "special" stuff in galaxy that nobody will ever notice or find. God only know how many content is still in game that simply newer will be jumped by, scaned and fly on top of it. Im Exploring on random now in F.R. Once I come back to buble it will be last time I went out there on random, make me feel Im wasting so much time on "jump, f5, FSS check, repeat...". Like some breaneless drone :/

We need some 20-100 LY flash sensors that detect unnatural "anomalies" or specific planetary bodies over multiple star systems etc. Its matter of numbers and we simply jump all ower "special" stuff in galaxy that nobody will ever notice or find. God only know how many content is still in game that simply newer will be jumped by, scaned and fly on top of it. Im Exploring on random now in F.R. Once I come back to buble it will be last time I went out there on random, make me feel Im wasting so much time on "jump, f5, FSS check, repeat...". Like some breaneless drone :/

No. Absolutely not. If exploration mechanics are boring, that's a more basic adjustment that needs to be made.

I like that ED doesn't treat explorers like snowflakes in this regard. You are not entitled to 2000 black hole discoveries every time you take a month excursion to deep space.

And it should be this way, so that in several years, we're still finding cool stuff. No thanks to people tracing routes through the galaxy so they can detect and discover all the cool stuff.

It's surprising how few people are playing: https://www.edsm.net/en/map/users

Posting this at 13.30 Central European Time. So while it's early in the US, the day - a Friday no less - is in full swing over here. Still only getting around 12.000 CMDRs. Let's make that x10 because not everybody sends data to EDSM and console players can't at all and it's still far from the millions who bought the game.

However, there's a surprising number of explorers out at the end of nowhere.

I'll bookmark that EDSM page. This is quite interesting!

Last edited:
Actually, it will take a long time. Just by looking at the numbers, you can see it.

4 billion stars in the Elite galaxy, that's 4,000,000,000. So far about 30,000,000 have been recorded on EDSM, and about 1,000,000 new ones each month. With about 3,970,000,000 stars to still go, and only doing 1 million a month, That's 3,970 months right there.

But maybe i'm missing something, so let me know if I did.
Feeling guilty now, off in a mo so we can knock a few more off that number

3,970,000,000 - 12 Ill get to today

I'm on DWII along with thousands of others. No matter what route I follow, one jump off the beaten track nearly always finds me an undiscovered system. We're still using fairly well travelled paths as well. This galaxy is almost untouched so far.

Last edited:
I thought there were 400 billion star systems in our Galaxy. I know I have encountered numerous star systems with more than one star, but it only counts as one star system.
Good point.

I guess we have to estimate some average of stars per system. Maybe 4 stars on average? Thinking of many systems having 1 star only and quite a few having a bunch. I guess perhaps 100 billion systems might be a better number to use.

Still, even with that, 100,000,000,000 systems. 32,000,000 only registered so far, and let's bring in the number that I saw in another post that 5 times more stars have been discovered in the game than EDSM has registered (since PS4, XBox, and non-EDSM members don't report). That would make 160,000,000 discovered. And if EDSM report 1,000,000 new per month, but that's only a fifth, so let's say 5,000,000 discovered each month.
(100,000,000,000-160,000,000)/5,000,000 = 199,968 months = 16,664 years. In other words, even if we really push the numbers to favor a quicker discovery, it still will take a very long time.

Good point.

I guess we have to estimate some average of stars per system. Maybe 4 stars on average? Thinking of many systems having 1 star only and quite a few having a bunch. I guess perhaps 100 billion systems might be a better number to use.

Still, even with that, 100,000,000,000 systems. 32,000,000 only registered so far, and let's bring in the number that I saw in another post that 5 times more stars have been discovered in the game than EDSM has registered (since PS4, XBox, and non-EDSM members don't report). That would make 160,000,000 discovered. And if EDSM report 1,000,000 new per month, but that's only a fifth, so let's say 5,000,000 discovered each month.
(100,000,000,000-160,000,000)/5,000,000 = 199,968 months = 16,664 years. In other words, even if we really push the numbers to favor a quicker discovery, it still will take a very long time.

You went the wrong way with your numbers there :) 400 billion SYSTEMS, many of which contain multiple stars, so take an average of 4 stars per system would be 1.6 trillion STARS total.

You went the wrong way with your numbers there :) 400 billion SYSTEMS, many of which contain multiple stars, so take an average of 4 stars per system would be 1.6 trillion STARS total.
Oh, sorry, my brain misfired. I read your post, but thought you meant there were only 400 billion stars, not systems. Brainfart.

--edit

Btw, found an article about Frontier's number on discovered systems: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...just_provided_an_updated_number_for_how_many/

Only 112,000,000 a year ago. That would make sense. EDSM had about 20 million at that point, so around 5-6 times more are discovered that are not reported to EDSM, which would put the number around 160+ mil, which is only 0.04%.

Let's think now of DW2. Say 5,000 explorers still active, discovering 20 systems a day, would put new discoveries at 100,000/day and only 3 mil/month.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry, my brain misfired. I read your post, but thought you meant there were only 400 billion stars, not systems. Brainfart.

--edit

Btw, found an article about Frontier's number on discovered systems: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...just_provided_an_updated_number_for_how_many/

Only 112,000,000 a year ago. That would make sense. EDSM had about 20 million at that point, so around 5-6 times more are discovered that are not reported to EDSM, which would put the number around 160+ mil, which is only 0.04%.

Let's think now of DW2. Say 5,000 explorers still active, discovering 20 systems a day, would put new discoveries at 100,000/day and only 3 mil/month.

Jenny had 400,000,000,000 apples five years ago, but ate 160,000,000 apples since then. How many mushrooms will she need to balance her vegan diet..? Also, how many bananas does Jason have?

Yeah, I kind of lost interest in my analogy while I was still thinking it up. Space madness, I reckon.

Top Bottom