How small can you go? A deep space exploration challenge.

Ok, so I like to challenge myself and do things differently.

Recently, I have caught the exploration bug and set my mind on seeing as much of the Galaxy as I can.

This idea came to me due to budget restrictions.

What is the smallest possible ship that can explore the rest of the Galaxy.

While bigger is nice and things may be easier, bigger is not always better.

Currently I am out on the first 6,000+ LY leg of my shake down voyage.

So far, my Imperial Courier seems to be doing just fine as an exploration ship. I will share further details of my build later. I am on INARA and it's going to take me a while to publish my full build in detail.

For now, I will share a couple of screen shots of my build to help give everyone an idea of what I'm working with.

For now, I put forth this challenge to anyone willing to take it.

Build the smallest most budget minded exploration ship possible. The ship doesn't have to be easy to fly. I just want to know how small you can go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-01-18-21-45-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-01-18-21-45-1.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_2019-06-01-18-22-00-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-01-18-22-00-1.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 104
Now that it got 3 extra slots (integrating ADS counts as a spare slot for something else) you can build a shielded sidey that cruises at 513, boosts to 745, jumps 32ly, can safely neutron boost and carries an SRV: https://edshipyard.net/builds/60l

That's pretty cool.
Are you on PC or Console?

I'm currently on PS4 and I don't think I have access to those wonderful toys becauseI don't think they're available on the console at this time.

I did try to hunt around for a nice Guardian FSD Booster with zero luck, and yes I used INARA to locate what I was looking for. Unless I missed something in the game.

How many LYs have you done in that thing so far?

That's pretty cool.

I'm currently on PS4 and I don't think I have access to those wonderful toys becauseI don't think they're available on the console at this time.

I did try to hunt around for a nice Guardian FSD Booster with zero luck, and yes I used INARA to locate what I was looking for. Unless I missed something in the game.

The FSD booster is available on all platforms, but you can't buy it at outfitting, unless you've unlocked it. See here.

You have to get a Guardian Module Blueprint and some bits of their leftover technology from one of the Guardian Structures (for example, at Synuefe NL-N C23-4 B 3), and take it to a Guardian Technology Broker (at certain stations), and unlock it. Then you can buy it from the outfitting screen.

Last edited:
If I'm looking at the OP's screenies correctly, is that a Light Weight mod' applied to a light-alloy hull?

The light-alloy hull already weighs 0t so you can't make it any lighter and all the mod' achieves is to reduce the integrity slightly.

Usually best to apply a Heavy Duty mod' to a light-alloy hull... cos it'll still weigh 0t.

+EDIT+

FWIW, I wouldn't bother with a Guardian FSD Booster in a sidey, unless you're prepared to do without, perhaps, a shield or an AFMU.
After a fuel-scoop, one of the best things you can bung into a Sidey (for exploration) is an extra fuel-tank.
If you don't fit one you'll find yourself studying the galmap before every jump to find your next fuel-star, and that gets old real fast.
And, let's face it, the difference between a 31Ly range and a 33Ly range isn't exactly going to allow you to get to places that nobody's ever been before.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool.

I'm on PC, that sidey is purely theorycrafted, not mine.

https://s.orbis.zone/3boj 42 LY on a Sidey? That's what I've currently got on my Krait Phantom with all it's bells and whistles, and was all I had on my Asp E for a long time pre-guardian stuff.
Yes, but have you seen the internals of the sidey? There's another thread that shows a very basic bed ... a microwave ... and that's about it. Scan a star and you have to turn the hot water dispenser off (if it has one).

Yes, but have you seen the internals of the sidey? There's another thread that shows a very basic bed ... a microwave ... and that's about it. Scan a star and you have to turn the hot water dispenser off (if it has one).

I haven't tried it but, also, I suspect flying a Sidey with an FSD booster and the standard fuel-tank would be almost suicidal.

Without the FSD Booster, an engineered Sidey can only make (IIRC) 2 jumps before it needs to refuel.
With an FSD booster, you'd probably be getting to the point where one wrong jump would mean a call to the fuel rats.

I haven't tried it but, also, I suspect flying a Sidey with an FSD booster and the standard fuel-tank would be almost suicidal.

Without the FSD Booster, an engineered Sidey can only make (IIRC) 2 jumps before it needs to refuel.
With an FSD booster, you'd probably be getting to the point where one wrong jump would mean a call to the fuel rats.

Don't have the FSD booster but it doesn't increase fuel

You are fine with the 2 ton tank with all the new tools

I'm actually partial to the T6 as a cheaper alternative to the Asp... 59 laden, 62.69 max

Certainly, but with a heat efficiency of 0.94 you're going to cook your ship with every jump and require frequent repairs. Better to go for an A-rated powerplant even if it weighs slightly more.

Certainly, but with a heat efficiency of 0.94 you're going to cook your ship with every jump and require frequent repairs. Better to go for an A-rated powerplant even if it weighs slightly more.

Thing about exploration ships is that they usually don't need a lot of juice so a PP that provides enough will probably produce a bit extra too.

So, G1/G2 Low-Emissions mod' will get you a seriously cool-running ship and then you can apply the Stripped-Down XFX to reduce the weight to less than the standard PP.
Don't go higher than G2 with the LE, though, or the extra weight won't be negated by the XFX.

;)

Top Bottom