How small can you go? A deep space exploration challenge.

Thing about exploration ships is that they usually don't need a lot of juice so a PP that provides enough will probably produce a bit extra too.

So, G1/G2 Low-Emissions mod' will get you a seriously cool-running ship and then you can apply the Stripped-Down XFX to reduce the weight to less than the standard PP.
Don't go higher than G2 with the LE, though, or the extra weight won't be negated by the XFX.

;)
A 3D powerplant with G2 Low Emissions, no special effect, will have an efficiency of 0.49 while putting out 8.5 MW, weighing in at 2.16 tons.
A 2A powerplant, stock, will have an efficiency of 0.4 while putting out 9.6 MW, weighing in at 2.5 tons.

I'd go for the 2A powerplant for the headaches it'll save me despite weighing slightly more than the 3D powerplant. :)

Since you can't get smaller than Sindewinder, we can close this thread now ;)
Depends by what you mean by "smaller." The Sidewinder is much more massive than the Hauler. The only reason why the Sidewinder has a smaller volume is because like all multi-purpose ships made by Falcon-DeLacey (Cobra III, Python, and perhaps the Anaconda), they make very efficient use of their internal spaces.

A number of people have made attempts to map out the interals of various ships, because they can't wait for Elite Feet. The two best I know of are FRj and Nebohtes.

Compare the Sidewinder

to the Hauler

The Hauler's practically 50% "crew quarters" and "cargo access" by volume!

Not the smallest ship, but I've had some fun exploring in a Vulture over the years. Here's a fairly recent pic I took at Sgr A on Distant Worlds 2.

LOkOE8S.jpg

Smallest I generally care to go exploring in is a Cobra Mk III, and have also done some treks in an Eagle. I like using small, maneuverable ships often anyway though.

Cheers.

A 3D powerplant with G2 Low Emissions, no special effect, will have an efficiency of 0.49 while putting out 8.5 MW, weighing in at 2.16 tons.
A 2A powerplant, stock, will have an efficiency of 0.4 while putting out 9.6 MW, weighing in at 2.5 tons.

I'd go for the 2A powerplant for the headaches it'll save me despite weighing slightly more than the 3D powerplant. :)

If I wasn't clear, what I was suggesting was intended for a 2A PP. (y)

G2 LE+SD and you end up with 9MW power, 0.26 thermal and 1.26t weight.

Win/win.

Don't think there's ever a good reason to go for a D-rated PP.
A class smaller A-rated PP is always better in every way.... except (possibly) cost, which nobody cares about.

The FSD booster is available on all platforms, but you can't buy it at outfitting, unless you've unlocked it. See here.

You have to get a Guardian Module Blueprint and some bits of their leftover technology from one of the Guardian Structures (for example, at Synuefe NL-N C23-4 B 3), and take it to a Guardian Technology Broker (at certain stations), and unlock it. Then you can buy it from the outfitting screen.
Ok, so I have unlocked the blueprint and I still cannot find any guardian module in the ports with tech brokers. What am I dong wrong?

The fsd booster has It's own entry in the optional modules list.

The shield and hull reinforcements are in HRPs.

Weapons in weapons.
Thanks for the response. So I assume that if it is not listed then it is not available from that station - is this the case, as a thought that stations with tech brokers had all the modules?

Yes, but have you seen the internals of the sidey? There's another thread that shows a very basic bed ... a microwave ... and that's about it. Scan a star and you have to turn the hot water dispenser off (if it has one).

"Sidewinder diaries.

Day 654: Fridge broke down, now living on dry rations.
Day 756: Discovered earth-like planet. Sent probe.
Day 756: I miss tea, I really miss tea.
Day 757: Mold from fridge might have contaminated probe.
Day 759: Shower broke down again. Hit head on pipe in cockpit.
Day 782: Mold is thriving on planet.
Day 783: I think I will ask Daisy for a divorce.
Day 801. It is official, evolution has started.
Day 806: Left monolith on planet surface. It is only fitting.
Day 810: Returning home.
Day 811: Hit head on pipe again."

What is the smallest possible ship that can explore the rest of the Galaxy.

none, there are places not yet accessible with any ship.

Build the smallest most budget minded exploration ship possible. The ship doesn't have to be easy to fly. I just want to know how small you can go.

buy sidewinder, strip stock shield, cargo rack and pulse lasers, there you go. did i win a cookie?

I'm actually partial to the T6 as a cheaper alternative to the Asp... 59 laden, 62.69 max

The T6 makes a wonderful explorer - I happen to have flown one of the seven T6's certified as completing DW2. But you'll be hating life quick in that build. The ones that made it out to Beagle had ranges in the mid-40s to low-50s (I flew this build for instance) and mine at least was a joy to spend a few months in.

I've a 47/48 ly cobra that explores well

(y) I love a Cobra rigged for exploration, I’ve got one that has a top end range just over 50ly with ‘usuable’ just over 49. If I could cram all the stuff from that into a single seat Sidey I’d be very very happy. Although I’ve got a Viper MkIII that jumps 40ly, boosts to 756m/s and flys faster than any of my Cobras can boost....plus there’s room for an SRV. The views a bit rubbish though:rolleyes:

All comes down to the point of how brave and risk willing you are. Kinda moot discussion since Sidewinder + fuel scoop and you're ready to go and it's the smallest you can get. Everything above this will be pure convinience.
  • guardian booster will shorten your straight line a bit or enable to pass Brown Dwarfs fields, otherwise you need a detour
  • SRV bay is just for planetary trips, not needed in just exploring
  • shields... who needs shields. No cargo = no pirates. No SRV = no landing, no reason to protect from it
  • AFMU is totally optional, without risk of damage you barely have a reason to use it. And let's face it - I made my way to Sag and back. Colonia and back. Multiple other med range trips and back. I have never had a serious reason to power up AFMU. I used it once just to see how it works and then again before arriving at destination just to arrive with full hull.

Personally I'd go with Adder. From all small ships I prefer this one. Quick build and got 51.14 LYs of max range with SRV, AFMU, shields and guardian booster (on 3A G5 FSD engineering). Overcharge G1 is required for 2D PP tho. Adding more engineering you can extend range to 52.90 LYs.

The Hauler has always been my go-to ship for budget exploration.

Lighter than a sidewinder, larger fuel tank, better range, and with three (counting integrated FSS) additional size one slots freed up, plenty of room for optional extras.

Plus they grow up to be FDLs, so bonus :)

Top Bottom