How to avoid Gankers.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
With the gloryfied community Goal now ongoing i saw quite a few people trying to Gank.
So i thought ill list some things on wich you can easily identify a Ganker / Griefer and block them before they can even interdict you. Blocking them makes it ALMOST impossible for them to get in the same instance as you or even interdict you because they dont show up in your instance after interdicting you.

First sign of a Ganker / Griefer: An absoutely stupid name like: Achickenforallseasons, Rebuydisorder, Randomtwelveyearoldwizzard, Saltedcottoncandy.
Second sign of a Griefer / Ganker: A Holo Me looking like a Zebra fell into 20 Buckets of different Colors. Preferably very old ones.
Third sign of a Griefer / Ganker: A Cutter, Corvette or Anaconda on a Community Goal that only supports small and Midsize ships. Beware of FDLs too.

If you see one of those Signs or even ALL of them and you dont wanna get ganked in your little Diamondback or ASP, block that Person. If they somehow manage to get in the same instance with you and pull you out (if you both share a Friend on the FL this CAN happen), Dobt forget to HIGH WAKE, not low wake since high wake dont suffer from Mass lock.

Btw: Dont mistake a Player-Pirate for a Griefer, a Pirate will never just kill you, he will interdict you, scan you for Cargo, steal your Cargo and then go. A Pirate only kills if you are Rude to him or dont oblige to his requests.

Have a good Day and good Luck on the new Community Goal.

Edit: Woah, calm down Friends, it was more of a "fun Thread" and i thought the Zebra with 20 different Colors made sure people would understand that.
Dontcha get so angry everyone.

Last edited:
I rarely meet other experienced players now, but every time I jump to another system, even one I am familiar with, I expect to be ganked. Keeps me on my toes & I enjoy that aspect of open play.

But before every jump I ask myself, how will I react if I am ganked? Will I have fun trying to escape, will I mind if I lose this cargo or fail this mission?

The overwhelming majority of the time I don't mind. I am physically prepared (my ship etc), I am mentally prepared. But sometimes I'm not, so I switch to solo before the jump. That way I won't spoil someone elses day by not being entertaining content for them, as they will be for me.

So the block function is as valid a game mechanic as snare and cripple engineered mechanics, guardian shield boosters, any farmed powerplay weapons, and legacy 3kdps frags. There is no eula limitation on preemptive blocking.

The real problem is the overall design considerations that ignore 20 years of mmo solutions to pvp and pve.

FDEV excels a weird patch solutions like C&P, ATR, blocking, 15 second logging, etc.

Now that the ultra mega third party cheat apps have come to light (which exploits the low budget p2p design choice) without evidence of serious consequences for use of these apps or clogging, there is even more reason to avoid open, or at the very least block, block and block.

Personally, I think this version of Elite is too broken to fix. I would appreciate FDEV making some reference to the fact that the next iteration (2020) will incorporate central servers and traditional mmo pve pvp solutions.

I rarely meet other experienced players now, but every time I jump to another system, even one I am familiar with, I expect to be ganked. Keeps me on my toes & I enjoy that aspect of open play.

But before every jump I ask myself, how will I react if I am ganked? Will I have fun trying to escape, will I mind if I lose this cargo or fail this mission?

The overwhelming majority of the time I don't mind. I am physically prepared (my ship etc), I am mentally prepared. But sometimes I'm not, so I switch to solo before the jump. That way I won't spoil someone elses day by not being entertaining content for them, as they will be for me.

STOP READING MY MIND RIVERSIDE!
Seriously though, that's exactly how I play. Have a virtual fistbump.

Perusing YouTube periodically for ganking vids at the II also helps you to get usernames and preemptively block.
Yeah, I'm extremely light on my gank videos, I have three of them in total and only one on youtube(unlisted, I think). You can also edit them in ways that doesn't show commander names if you're careful during recording :)

My choice has been to bulid ships with armour, HRPs and MRPs, stay out of open if I'm in my paper and sticky tape explorer and generally accept I'm going to the rebuy screen at some point anyway.

Last one was trying to FA off land my Cutter in a station after a few drinks. I'm a far worse danger to my ships than any ganker.

With the gloryfied community Goal now ongoing i saw quite a few people trying to Gank.
So i thought ill list some things on wich you can easily identify a Ganker / Griefer and block them before they can even interdict you. Blocking them makes it ALMOST impossible for them to get in the same instance as you or even interdict you because they dont show up in your instance after interdicting you.

First sign of a Ganker / Griefer: An absoutely stupid name like: Achickenforallseasons, Alottarebuya, Randomtwelveyearoldwizzard, Saltedcottoncandy.
Second sign of a Griefer / Ganker: A Holo Me looking like a Zebra fell into 20 Buckets of different Colors. Preferably very old ones.
Third sign of a Griefer / Ganker: A Cutter, Corvette or Anaconda on a Community Goal that only supports small and Midsize ships. Beware of FDLs too.

If you see one of those Signs or even ALL of them and you dont wanna get ganked in your little Diamondback or ASP, block that Person. If they somehow manage to get in the same instance with you and pull you out (if you both share a Friend on the FL this CAN happen), Dobt forget to HIGH WAKE, not low wake since high wake dont suffer from Mass lock.

Btw: Dont mistake a Player-Pirate for a Griefer, a Pirate will never just kill you, he will interdict you, scan you for Cargo, steal your Cargo and then go. A Pirate only kills if you are Rude to him or dont oblige to his requests.

Have a good Day and good Luck on the new Community Goal.
Wow this is absolutely garbage and cowardly advice.
Anyone who wants to ACTUALLY learn how to avoid or survive gankers watch this video.
Source: https://youtu.be/Uh9AWV_BWo0

BTW: I have a completely normal name in game, a normal looking holo me and I gank in an Orca, so....

Last edited:
This advice is the ED equivalent to telling people to watch out for brown people wearing Reeboks.

First sign of a Ganker / Griefer: An absoutely stupid name like: Achickenforallseasons, Alottarebuya, Randomtwelveyearoldwizzard, Saltedcottoncandy.

Though the thinly veiled and convoluted reference to SDC/DUMB is vaguely amusing, they hardly represent the only gankers out there.

Even more dubious, as being in the area of the Interstellar Initiative for the materials will be as significant a motivation as participation in the CG itself (especially given the issues around the guardian commodities) and many CMDR in these ships will be the targets or opponents of gankers.

Btw: Dont mistake a Player-Pirate for a Griefer

An incongrous piece of advice, given that you've recommended blocking huge swaths of CMDRs to catch a handful of potential 'gankers'.

So the block function is as valid a game mechanic as snare and cripple engineered mechanics, guardian shield boosters, any farmed powerplay weapons, and legacy 3kdps frags. There is no eula limitation on preemptive blocking.

The real problem is the overall design considerations that ignore 20 years of mmo solutions to pvp and pve.

FDEV excels a weird patch solutions like C&P, ATR, blocking, 15 second logging, etc.

Now that the ultra mega third party cheat apps have come to light (which exploits the low budget p2p design choice) without evidence of serious consequences for use of these apps or clogging, there is even more reason to avoid open, or at the very least block, block and block.

Personally, I think this version of Elite is too broken to fix. I would appreciate FDEV making some reference to the fact that the next iteration (2020) will incorporate central servers and traditional mmo pve pvp solutions.
Perusing YouTube periodically for ganking vids at the II also helps you to get usernames and preemptively block.
I think there is a master list of player "pirates" if you want to add them to your in game block list.
ROFL what a joke.
I think the proper solution here for folks like you is to just stay in solo. Attitudes like this ruin open for everyone anyways.

I avoid it by generally not seeing them.

Seriously. I can fly around all the hot spots day, and end up just making friends. Lol

The odd time I've been attacked, i just submit and wake out.

I've never blocked a single CMDR, and likely never will, unless I suspect cheating, but not until I've gathered ample video evidence, and even then, I might not need to block them. :p

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom