Engineers How to efficiently approach engineering

Cheers mate. I've more or less figured all this out during beta and early but this thread will be very useful for new folk to the endeavor.

Another one or two points added and/or clarified and a pic.

Since polonium seems to be a popular issue I'll go get some and post some points on finding it with minimum effort in the next day or so.

Random question (assuming anybody sees this), any interest in forming an ad hoc group to push systems with rares into an advantageous state so they have larger allocations (ie tea/cigars etc).

Nice post.
One thing, if you assume NPCs have to be behind you to interdict, you are sometimes going to be in for a rude shock.

i've never seen them not need to be behind you. I've sat for many minutes watching a NPC desperately try to get behind me while I sat and turned at zero throttle (30Km/s idle cruising). You can see them turn, come back, zoom by, turn come back, zoom by. They'll do it forever. Then when you're ready just stop turning and the next time they come back and get behind you boom, they interdict. Handy when you need a bit more time for your shields to recharge before taking them on.

I wouldn't hoard engineer Cargo, never done it I just when I want to do a mod that needs them keep an eye on missionboards. Have no problems at all doing it like that, its not a instance "want it now!" way of doing things but it never really takes all that long till a see mission with them as reward. But I'm a relaxed persons thats never in a hurry, so maybe I'm weird.

Also keep on wondering about that horrible grind people talk of, I always can do some mods here and there without farming anything and I progress with the engineers and unlock new ones much faster then I had expected. Take today as an example, got to grade 4 with selene and tough I look what will be needed for the grade 5 mod once I get there so I can keep an Eye out already. Turns out I already have all the mats for 3 Grade 5 mods.
Was the same with felicity, the only one I got to grade 5 so far. When I got there I could do a grade 5 fsd mod on a couple of ships because I had all the mats needed already without ever looking for it.

Yep, that is, in my opinion, the one significant flaw in 2.1. You have two choices.

1. Put at least 2 tons of cargo on the ship you want to upgrade so it can hold the mats.
  2. Take advantage of the fact that you can sell/rebuy modules. Buy a throwaway ship that has a similar slot to your FAS and give it some cargo capacity and a version of the module you want to upgrade. Fly to engineer, upgrade module, fly back, sell module, swap ships, buy back module.

The advantage of option 2 is it can be a light long jumping cheap ship to speed the trip to the engineer and back. That falls down a bit if it's a large hard point though.

I'd just as soon the thread doesn't devolve into yet another 2.1 debate but since it's my thread I will say that IMO things like modular terminals which are mission only should either be converted to materials or given a localized source like the other new commodities. I don't understand the logic of them from a game play perspective. There's a huge incentive to take a mission that provides them whenever you see one since they're hard to come by but then you have to store it so ships like combat vultures end up getting mothballed.

edit: added that point to OP, should have been there to begin with.

Very nice summary in the OP.
Though when i read your advice here, i really begin to understand all those threads requesting storage capacity.
My word, that sounds awkward and in dire need of improvement.
Still on 1.6 here, i hope you 2.1 players have this sorted by FD asap.

Love the info in this thread. I'd never thought of tacking, and certainly not shooting past the target station and coming back. Like all great ideas, so obvious in hindsight. I'd always just done a single curve to stations, but this is a whole new level!

Added a suggestion for players section with a mission DB idea and BGS system push for rare spawns as well as a suggestion list aimed at FDEV, both pulled from posts I made elsewhere.

Since polonium seems to be a popular issue I'll go get some and post some points on finding it with minimum effort in the next day or so.

Added a bit about finding polonium (any rare/very rare surface mineral really) based on a run this morning.

Missed this thread, it's good to see some constructive comments for a change.

The only advice I really disagree with is being a mission hobo. IMO it's far more constructive to set up shop in a system and work on allying yourself with a faction in that system, as well as a faction in neighboring systems.

edit: the reason for this is that in my experience, being on friendly terms with a faction gives better missions and better rewards. It seems to me that holds true in 2.1 regarding materials and commodities as rewards.

Last edited:

The only advice I really disagree with is being a mission hobo. IMO it's far more constructive to set up shop in a system and work on allying yourself with a faction in that system, as well as a faction in neighboring systems.
My Expierence so far is that having high rep with a faction is only about getting missions with higher credit reward, Cargo and Material rewards for use with engineer don't seem to be tied to rep with a faction, I get loads of very rare stuff from factions I never worked with before.

Working for one faction does not hurt of course, but I would definitly highly recommend to check the mission board on every place a mission sends you to, or if you just travel a longer distance to a diffrent place checking mission boards on the way here and got me many good rewards. But in the end travelin around a bit is good I thin, because I do belive diffrent regions, goverments and system states can give higher chances to have certain cargo and materials as rewards. Thats just an impression tough, I could be wrong.

edit: the reason for this is that in my experience, being on friendly terms with a faction gives better missions and better rewards. It seems to me that holds true in 2.1 regarding materials and commodities as rewards.

No disagreement there. My primary interest in ED is the lore from books. I've read all of them so I tend to sniff around places referenced in the books looking for the occasional tidbit of information.

So I tend to be a hobo with a locus, I bounce around the vicinity of places like Lave, or Prism, or Peregrina and slowly improve my reputation with them.

So I don't really need cargo racks for this, everything engineering related goes into the 600 things box?

What do I do with all the data I've been finding?

Last edited:
So I don't really need cargo racks for this, everything engineering related goes into the 600 things box?

What do I do with all the data I've been finding?

Data is stored in a 200 unit buffer in your escape pod, don't worry about it.
Some engineer ingredients are commodities that use cargo space. They do not fit in the 600 item buffer. They use 1 ton cargo space apiece, like regular cargo.

Check your Right Side Panel, the ship inventory has all this stuff.

To the OP:
Very helpful info, Cmdr. Repped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom