Engineers How to efficiently approach engineering

Excellent write up Belthize. I'd figured out a couple of these, but I learned a lot of new things I had been wondering about as well. +Rep. Cheers :)

Close to my approach.

I would add "Cracked Industrial Firmware" to the list as this one should be common but 3 Level 5 important mods need 2-3 of those. I took every mission with it but still running short now. Also 'Pharmaceutical Isolators' and 'Improvised Components' belong on the mission list. Yes they can be obtained in certain systems, but running a 5 minute mission beats a 30 minute hunt for encoded transmission uss in outbreak or civil war systems.
And of course Polonium needs to be on that list. I actually found 12 on missions. Beats hunting on planets...

However I feel like not keeping the commodities with me and only get them when I make the engineer run close to topping my 600 mark. As I noted the rewards on missions I have certain stations where I know that mission only commodities will show at least when mode switching there. Once Level 5 those don't matter much anyway as the level 5 ones are buyable.
The reason for not keeping those mainly is that NPC less likly interdict and secondly I can switch to ships with little cargo easily.

For me it seems like Planetary Stations have better materials as mission rewards as space stations but I am still not able to tell exactly.

Last edited:
But what do I actually do with all that data?

never mind, figured out it's just another "item" in blueprints :D

That's why it's gone after you use it, because data can't be just copied. Oh boy this update is so well thought through.

Last edited:
Great job, Bel, linked in the Spreadsheet ;)

Also, a spreadsheet to collect data, etc., it's been on the way for a long time on the Engineering Doc, it's just people don't care to share. I made another thread, easier and more visible here. Just post, we'll process into the spreadsheet.

Last edited:
+rep
Basically an answer also to Obsidian Ant's latest video.
I'm following these ideas for the last 2 weeks, and I'm enjoying it. The grade 3 mods are already very nice (FSD, drive tuning, shield + shields booster mods), and help a lot with surviving any NPC encounter, even the Elite ones. I can even take on some of the high level NPCs without really risking my ship.

+rep
Basically an answer also to Obsidian Ant's latest video.
I'm following these ideas for the last 2 weeks, and I'm enjoying it. The grade 3 mods are already very nice (FSD, drive tuning, shield + shields booster mods), and help a lot with surviving any NPC encounter, even the Elite ones. I can even take on some of the high level NPCs without really risking my ship.

Is it me or Obsidian Ant isn't aware of the community's tools and help threads?

Is it me or Obsidian Ant isn't aware of the community's tools and help threads?

In his defense I don't see how folks (including you) contribute all they do, play the game and avoid starving by having a job.

I've actually been kind of remiss, quite a few things I've been meaning to add to the post but I keep saying, "in an hour, couple more loads of basic medicines to that outbreak system, oh look a 1.5M CR base assault mission, I'll do that too, hmm a modular terminal mission, guess I'll snag that too, I still really need to do that tip off mission and look more into Ilo's USS thread ... SQUIRREL" and before I know it a few days have passed.

In his defense I don't see how folks (including you) contribute all they do, play the game and avoid starving by having a job.

Simple: no family and I play when I can... Not I'm too excited about ED these days, soooo :D

But I meant, I don't catch him advising people to look up this app, that tool, etc. Not that it fixes anything in the game, but that's a temporary solution at least.

Last edited:
What's the best way to obtain multiple specialized legacy firmwares? I'm going crazy.

Either check mission rewards for one or hit USSes, particularly the Encoded type.

The best way to find Encoded USSes that I know of is to go to systems that have Earth Like planets. Circle around close to them and you'll get Encoded Threat 0 USSes which are satellites. These typically drop multiple data types. This dramatically increases your chances since you get 2 (or more) per target and they're a semi-predicatble spawn. I say semi predictable since I've had to wait many minutes for one to spawn, other types I'll get one after many seconds.

Last edited:
2 hours

v5WWKzY.png

two hours of watching TV because all I did was wait for the right USS to show up is an incredible waste of time and incredibly boring gameplay.

that was 90 minutes of achieving absolutely nothing, followed by luck.

Last edited:
two hours of watching TV because all I did was wait for the right USS to show up is an incredible waste of time and incredibly boring gameplay.

And exactly that is the problem. Would it have been two hours of interesting and engaging gameplay, most of the voices here would silence immediately.
(Yes, some forum warriors would go on forever, but that's a minority. )

Fine, you asked the best way, I told you, you found them. There's 143 threads over there ----> for discussing RNG and grind. I have my opinions on the topic too but this isn't the thread for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom