Engineers How to efficiently approach engineering

Thanks!!! Question, missions that you have finished, they do not count towards that 20 missions limit?

Also, if my ship is destroyed, finished missions will be lost or not?

Last edited:
Thanks!!! Question, missions that you have finished, they do not count towards that 20 missions limit?

Also, if my ship is destroyed, finished missions will be lost or not?

I was hoping somebody else would reply. I'm afraid I don't know a definitive answer. I never mission stack to that level so never bumped up against it. The idea of using the mission system to store commodities is interesting (and appalling at the same time). I'm unlikely to test it any time soon since I'm not focusing on engineers at the moment (have all I need).

Hopefully somebody will spot this and have a definitive response. Probably just get speculation ...

This is literally the most winningest post ever, lol. I'm terrible at material gathering, I think it's because I don't mind the grind, and I'll look up and realize I've been driving in a circle for thirty minutes. Lol.

but in all honesty, I didn't even think about any of this. I didn't even know you could tell the difference between material nodes on the scanner other than sound... Thanks for the guide, fella

Found this idea elsewhere, posting it here.

Its possible to "store" the mission commodities with the mission givers. Do the job, just don't turn it in.
That ends the mission timer. They'll hold your stuff.

You can bookmark the unclaimed commodities system to pick up later.
So no need to lug them around, sell them for peanuts, or vent them to the void.

If true, amazing! How long will completed missions stick around? Ah but we have a 20 mission limit now. Still, a great option. Until you get 4 and you only need 1 (like my modular terminals) ><

Can I have the quest giver store my 3 extras for now? ;)

Now I want to have a version for ships with cargo space of 2 or less (0). or how to effectively switch between ships without the need to sell commodities and without the need to wait hours to get the right ones after you switched back into your ship whic hhas got cargo space.

I haven't been able to find an answer to this question. If I mod any part, say a shield booster, then replace that part with something else for a run, then put it back in, is it re-modded?

Outfitting. So once a part is modded, say a shield booster, and you swap it out for a heat-sink launcher, the modded part is gone? Or if you were to put a shield booster back in, would it be automatically modded?

You have to swap it on to another ship. Covered in the OP at some level. Go to outfitting, sell part, swap to another ship, buy back part, swap back to your original ship. At that point you've effectively stored the module on another ship and can reverse the process at some later date.

Put it "back in" from where?

From outfitting. Say you have a modded shield booster, then swap it out for a heat-sink launcher. If you swap out the heat-sink for a shield booster, is that shield booster automatically modded?

I get why it wouldn't be, since the mods are on the equipment itself, but we're having to switch stuff out all the time, for the job, or bounty hunting or conflict zones, or whatever. We shouldn't have to go 200 LY just to RE-mod a module, right?

Edit: sorry, something glitched and I didn't see the response, so the above is outdated.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

You have to swap it on to another ship. Covered in the OP at some level. Go to outfitting, sell part, swap to another ship, buy back part, swap back to your original ship. At that point you've effectively stored the module on another ship and can reverse the process at some later date.

A clever workaround, but let me ask you this. Have you tried it? Have you been able to sell something, switch ships, and buy the thing you sold back, or did it disappear? This all makes me think that we should also be able to store our ship modules instead of "trade" them in. That would personalize the "hangar" part of the game.

Last edited:
A clever workaround, but let me ask you this. Have you tried it? Have you been able to sell something, switch ships, and buy the thing you sold back, or did it disappear? This all makes me think that we should also be able to store our ship modules instead of "trade" them in. That would personalize the "hangar" part of the game.

Yes, everything in the original thread are things I've personally done.

Last edited:
From outfitting. Say you have a modded shield booster, then swap it out for a heat-sink launcher. If you swap out the heat-sink for a shield booster, is that shield booster automatically modded?

Just want to make real sure that this is as clear as possible for anybody reading the thread.

If you have a modded Shield Booster, and you sell it to outfitting, this is what happens:

- You get money for it.
- As far as FD is concerned, you have been duly compensated. They will NOT recreate it for you if you lose it.
- The sold item goes into a buffer storage where it is rebuyable.
- FD clears these buffers periodically.
- The period is unknown. Some say 10 minutes. Nobody knows for sure. Moreover we do not know where the cycle ends or starts.
- It is entirely possible for an item to vanish almost immediately, because it got sold just before the buffers get cleared.

So if you sold an item, went on a trip, came back, and tried to buy it back, you would be SOL. Not the star. The bad SOL.

Storage of modded items is possible if you use another "holding" ship to put it onto.
However to be safer, it is better to buy another ship of the same type you are flying, transfer the other unmodded modules, and leave your item safely in the old ship.

I have a Cobra, a DBS, a Courier, and a Viper IV at the transfer station. Most of their modules are interchangeable. I can reconfigure any one ship pretty much however I like: cold runner, super-drive maneuverable, shield tanker, with different modded weaponry loadouts. Yes I have swapped modules at my own risk.

To do a module swap, you want to minimize the time as much as possible. I never ever start with the donor ship, but with the recipient. Switch to that ship. Remove the module you are going to replace. If it's a core module, swap in the cheapest lowest grade placeholder available. THEN, switch to the donor ship. Take a peek at the rebuyable modules, and see if your cleared one is available. If it isn't - they may be cleaning the buffers, so wait a minute or two to be safe.

Finally, sell the modded module. I never buy a replacement, to save time. Just immediately switch ships, and immediately rebuy. May you not have any power or internet outages.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with the approach described in the OP here is this:

Those of us who dislike flying big, clumsy, slow ships are left out in the cold. Without storage, we simply have no place to put all these blasted commodities, so when we actually get some of them, we are forced to either sell them or to grind hard for the rest of the components of the upgrade we wanted them for. If we sell them, then we're right back to the "Ok, when will this spawn again?" If we grind, then... well, we're grinding.

Commodities storage would solve this problem entirely, but we don't have it. And until we do, those of us in small ships are forced to gather up every single non-commodity item for a mod and then scour the galaxy's mission boards looking for a mission that offers the one thing we need... which can be an intensely frustrating experience.

FD have said that this is an unanticipated side effect of the way the buyback system works, and they don't guarantee it will work. If you lose your module, you lose your module. But people have used this to transfer modules between ships.

Please refrain from turning this thread into an RNG/Storage debate thread. There are quite literally hundreds of those in which to express an opinion.

I'd rather not have to check every time there's a new post to see if somebody has a question only to find it's yet another editorial on the topic.

These points exactly. Engineers isn't that bad from a holistic view aside from the discussed-to-death RNG/Storage issues. Probably the biggest "problem" with Engineers is everyone who is complaining are EXPERIENCED players... we have near unlimited cash and resources at our disposal and have gotten very comfortable being "on top" of the game, that when new content like Engineers comes out, we shoot straight for the "best" it has to offer - LVL 5 upgrades and we want it all IMMEDIATELY. If we HAD been playing with with Engineers from day-1, most likely, we'd all have enough materials for several LVL 5 upgrades by the time we could afford the reputation and ships to install them on. As mentioned, cheaper, more common materials are meant to not only get you earlier upgrades, but also to "level up" your rep with the engineer.

These points exactly. Engineers isn't that bad from a holistic view aside from the discussed-to-death RNG/Storage issues. Probably the biggest "problem" with Engineers is everyone who is complaining are EXPERIENCED players... we have near unlimited cash and resources at our disposal and have gotten very comfortable being "on top" of the game, that when new content like Engineers comes out, we shoot straight for the "best" it has to offer - LVL 5 upgrades and we want it all IMMEDIATELY.

I suspect that many of these players are also the ones who stacked/mode-switched smuggling missions at Robigo and stacked/mode-switch rank missions at Tun, etc., to get their Federal corvette and 1 billion credits as quickly as possible. When they found out that they're no longer at the top of the power curve and now they have to do real work to catch up (and there's no way to exploit or end-run Engineers) they predictably started whining about how terrible the "grind" and "RNG" is.

If we HAD been playing with with Engineers from day-1, most likely, we'd all have enough materials for several LVL 5 upgrades by the time we could afford the reputation and ships to install them on. As mentioned, cheaper, more common materials are meant to not only get you earlier upgrades, but also to "level up" your rep with the engineer.

Actually, many players (myself included) started 2.1 with a lot of the "grind" already done and a lot of unlock requirements from what we had already been doing with our normal activities. I had been bounty hunting and trading quite a bit already so most of those requirements were already unlocked. I had also done quite a bit of SRV scouting for mats when horizons launched in preparation for my SagA trip so I had already collected some polonium and yttrium for FSD boosts. Since I had just returned from my SagA trip shortly after engineers launched I had the exploration distance/ranking unlocks already done as well. So I never really saw any of those things as much of a "grind" because I was already doing them in the game because I wanted to do them.

Top Bottom