Engineers How to efficiently approach engineering

FD have said that this is an unanticipated side effect of the way the buyback system works, and they don't guarantee it will work. If you lose your module, you lose your module. But people have used this to transfer modules between ships.

Where did FD say that the transfer method for modules was a "side effect"? Because I have been transferring all types of modules, including some expensive Grade 5 overcharged multis, and it has been working fine. But I do worry about a glitch or bug (or even just one of those server disconnects that has been happening a lot lately) and having to contact support if I "lose" the module while trying to transfer. If FD has said that it's a "use at your own risk" method then I will probably stop transferring expensive modules.

Actually, many players (myself included) started 2.1 with a lot of the "grind" already done and a lot of unlock requirements from what we had already been doing with our normal activities. I had been bounty hunting and trading quite a bit already so most of those requirements were already unlocked. I had also done quite a bit of SRV scouting for mats when horizons launched in preparation for my SagA trip so I had already collected some polonium and yttrium for FSD boosts. Since I had just returned from my SagA trip shortly after engineers launched I had the exploration distance/ranking unlocks already done as well. So I never really saw any of those things as much of a "grind" because I was already doing them in the game because I wanted to do them.

Yes, same here... for the 'senior players' I think it isn't that grinding as for new starters (started myself with game release of ED, after I played Elite in the 80's already). But this is like real life (kind of condensed in the game of course) where you have to go around and gain your benefits one by one. ED isn't that type of game, where you get all unlocked/collected within a week of play... ED is like a life within a game. So stop grinding and start enjoying the life in the gameplay... all other will come automatically with it. ;)

Specific tech question.

My Asp-E has (2) & (4) weapons slots.
Regarding the (2) larger slots. One (left), one (right) of the canopy.
I got a roulette-wheel mod on the (left) and I want to keep it.
I would like to roll the (right) one till it comes up the same mod.

Question: Staring at the engineers *witch one do you want to mod* screen, would the (right) side weapon slot be the (top) or the (bottom) choice?
I have a 50/50 chance if I guess, but I'd hate to gamble this one. I see no way to be sure.

----- NEVER MIND -- Found it matches the Station Outfitting column pattern. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Hey. For those Experienced pilots who have been around, who haven't gotten palin or marco in their engineer panel yet...
could some of ya'll help me with seeing if we can unlock palin without needing to go through marco.
The thing is, i already did it, not exactly sure of how i did it due to one small part tho.
i would like help in seeing if others can repeat my success, by doing the steps i belive were involved
in said unlocking of palin without going through level 3 of marco

Pm me on that

Hey. For those Experienced pilots who have been around, who haven't gotten palin or marco in their engineer panel yet...
could some of ya'll help me with seeing if we can unlock palin without needing to go through marco.
The thing is, i already did it, not exactly sure of how i did it due to one small part tho.
i would like help in seeing if others can repeat my success, by doing the steps i belive were involved
in said unlocking of palin without going through level 3 of marco

Just wanted to say this post has been extremely helpful to me, one of the few(it seems) who is really enjoying the engineers. Thanks to the OP and others.

I would still find it more helpful if FD just put the vital info from the outfitting bay in with the modding figures. I modded my thrusters with dirty drive but no idea how this affects my pitch until I quit to outfitting and find out.

Bet yes, the best method is to by a whole heap of useless mods, discard them all, and head up to level 4 or 5 quickly. I spent a few days in a haz rez to start, a day scanning wake data, a few days collecting materials from stations, a few days mining the missions boards for rare materials, and a day mining minerals in a metal rich ring for the rest. Within a week or so I was ready to get most enineers up to level 4. Of course it helps having a larger ship to carry at least 100 or 150 items.

Last edited:
Gawd I hate the engineers. After literally dozens of hours of collecting crap for them (and hundreds of light years), I finally got the 2 FSD engineers unlocked. They totally wasted all of my materials trying to upgrade my FSD. In the end, my FSD is only jumping 2 LY farther than a regular FSD. Engineers are totally useless. UGH! This is what I paid for a lifetime pass?!

"Provide more info in useful on the engineers screens and outfitting screens in meaningful units. When upgrading an FSD for range the only thing that really matters is jump range, show the before and after results so players can make informed decisions. Same with armor, shields, boosters, weapons etc. Most screens show the factors that go into calculating the final result but not the final result, it's the latter that players actually care about."

I couldn't agree more. Those bars confuse the hell out of me. I don't know if its a good or bad roll, compared to my current applied mod.

I spent a bit of last week, some of Friday night, 4 or more hours on Sat, and 2-3 hours on Sunday looking for ABNORMAL COMPACT EMMISSIONS. And yes I was doing what the game/Inara tells you to do; USS in multiple different systems, missions boards, just scanning ships in SC.

I finally found 1 Sunday evening. Their spawn rate/mechanic needs attention - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-in-the-game?p=4742341&viewfull=1#post4742341

Given I now how seven in total, I need to find 2 more occurences of them really... [woah]:O:(

Last edited:
I spent a bit of last week, some of Friday night, 4 or more hours on Sat, and 2-3 hours on Sunday looking for ABNORMAL COMPACT EMMISSIONS. And yes I was doing what the game/Inara tells you to do; USS in multiple different systems, missions boards, just scanning ships in SC.

I finally found 1 Sunday evening. Their spawn rate/mechanic needs attention - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-in-the-game?p=4742341&viewfull=1#post4742341

Given I now how seven in total, I need to find 2 more occurences of them really... [woah]:O:(

And that would give you ONE roll of the merciless Downgrade machine that takes all those mats that took days to get in a few seconds.

Is this guide still valid?

I like the idea of just playing the game and gathering stuff but you can't really carry stuff in your cargo without being hunted down.

Is this guide still valid?

I like the idea of just playing the game and gathering stuff but you can't really carry stuff in your cargo without being hunted down.

I be rather shocked if it were still valid, I haven't played in about 10 months but I'm coming back to poke around (still updating client) and one thing I'll probably look into is what changes have been made to engineering. I suspect the general points are still valid but specific points on where to best find certain items have likely changed.

Heres a little guide I made that will hopefully make grinding for unlocking engineering a little easier. This is as of 2.3

=====================
ENGINEERS in 2.3
=====================
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/261466-How-to-effeciently-approach-engineering

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259029-So-you-ve-run-out-of-inventory-space
- list of materails u can toss

1,100,000 credits worth of combat bonds
- combat bonds appear to work from anywhere.
- it appears you do NOT need to have the same type of combat bonds but just a cumlative amount across all your combat bonds
- Juri Ishmaak used 100k from tambe corp
- Colonel Bris Dekker used 185,200 from Tambe corp and 814800 from LTT 12787 JET CREATIVE CORP
- To recap you need a total of 1,100,000 combat bonds (not bountys) from anywhere to give to Juri Ishmaak (100k) and Colonel Bris Dekker (1 million).

http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers
1) meeting requirement - what it takes to show the purple on galaxy mat
2) unlock requirement - what it takes to actually be able to talk to and start using the engineer (bring whatever is listed to them)
3) each engineer can have a "max grade" in a specific equipment and lower max grades in others. IE Elvira can have a max grade of 5 in FSD's and a max grade of 2 or 1 in shield generator and thrusters. You have to unlock these grades
4) The max grade is tied to the engineers "rep or rank". Unlock the engineer at grade 5 by doing bluepritns or whatever is listed on the site. So for example if you upgrade FSD to 3 then ALL the other FSD and shield generator and thruster patterns get unlocked up to lvl 3 as well (up to the max grade they can be unlocked)
5) When you upgrade any pattern it goes towrds the enginners entire "grade access" aka rank/rep. This is then applied to all patterns they have and will be unlocked up to that grade level
6) You can use lvl 1 paterns repeatedly to unlock higher and higher
7) Ideal method of upgrading:
A) Use lvl 1 pattern to go to rank 3 or possibly 4. You can use the same pattern again and again and then discard the changes instead of applying them.
B) Once at rank 3 or 4 use that rank 3 pattern to go to 4 and 4 pattern to 5 to 5. Will only take 3-4 attempts to do so
8) Even if you max out a lvl 1, 2 , or 3 pattern you can still use these patterns to lvl up the other ones as its all tied back to the engineer person.
A) Unlock each one
B) Max out each engineers grade as much as you can before moving onto the next with the materials you have on you. Especially if that engineer unlocks more engineers.
c) Once all engineers unlocked figure out blueprints you want to apply and the materials you have vs the materials you need so you can grind for those materials.
8) All required landing pads are L. However with the ones requiring rep I would recommend getting a small/medium ship to expand your mission options there.

Unlock order:
-------------------------
***Anyone with a (grade 3-4) means you need to unlock that to unlock the engineers below
***The top non indented engineers are publically available the indented - means you must unlock from the engineer its indented under
1) All rep unlocks require you to get to the required rep and then pick up an "engineer" mission from the mission board for that rep and deliver it to a random system 1 jump away.

Elvira Martuuk (grade 3-4)
Learn from: Public Knowledge
Gain access by: Attain a maximum distance from your career start location of at least 300 light years.
Donate: Soontill Relics x3
- Ngurii > Cheranovsky City

Zacariah Nemo
Learn from: Elvira Martuuk (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Gain invitation from Party of Yoru
- Yoru > Manning Base
- invite on mission board
- Requires friendly
Donate: Xihe Companions x25
- Xihe > Xhen dock
- x10-20 at a time

Marco Qwent (grade 3-4)
Learn from: Elvira Martuuk (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Gain invitation from Sirius Corporation (Sothis > New Dawn Station)
- Search in IDDB for a station with Sirius Corporation as the controlling faction
- Perform missions and become allied with Sirius Corporation
- If you fly out 5000Ly first, scanning each system with advanced discovery scanner then take a slighly different route back (so you have 10k worth of systems instead of just 5k) and sell it all at the station you will reach allied.
Donate: Modular Terminals x25
- Obtained from missions as bonus reward.
- takes up cargo space

Professor Palin
Learn from: Marco Qwent (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Attain a maximum distance from your career start location of at least 5,000 light years.
- Get a ship with good jump range
- Get a good fuel scoop
- Ensure you dont run out of fuel jumping to a non scoopable star.
Donate:25 Unknown Fragments
- Go to HIP 14479 (or anywhere in "aries dark region" of systems)
- Fly around star parrale 1000 away from star
- Look for Unidentified signal sources and scan them
- Find ones that say "Anomaly detected" once scanned
- drop in and find "unknown artifact" and let it scan you
- ram it and collect the fragments (3 per artifact you find). Dont shoot it or u onyl get 1
*** Planet bound versions: (Locate crashed anacondas and use SRV to shoot canisters and pick up then log out and back in to refresh the canisters
- Izanami A 4 A (-2.25 145.13)
- CETI SECTOR RD-T B3-2, Planet 1. (-3.92, 121.46)
- HIP 17403 A 4 A (-34.981, -141.413)
- HIP 17862 6C A at coordinates 30.3398,-98.5876)

Lori Jameson
Learn from: Marco Qwent (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Gain combat rank Dangerous or higher
Donate: Kongga Ale x25
- Kongga > Laplace Ring, Kongga
- x18 at a time

The Dweller (grade 3-4)
Learn from: Common knowledge
Gain access by: Sell to 5 different black markets
- Blackmarket: (https://spytec.github.io/)
- Use EDDB to look up "slaves" from area around these systems. Using a medium/small ship pick up 5+ slaves and deliver them to these 5 stations black market.
- Adnoartina > Babcock landing
- LTT 537 > Thiele vision
- Arikara > Bennett gateway
- Qetesh > Whipple Vision
- backlum > Ahnert-rohlfs terminal
- ***Does not require medium/small ship. Its just what I used and is easier to use outposts then stations for this.
Donate: 500,000 credits

Lei Cheung (grade 3-4)
Learn from: The Dweller (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Traded in over 50 markets
Donate: Gold x200
- Can mine
- Can buy off certain stations

Ram Tah
Learn from: Lei Cheung (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Gain exploration rank Surveyor or higher
Donate: Classified Scan Databanks x50
- Convoy Beacon instance above the planets
- scan all of the Type-9s, type 7's, bulgaria (T6es and the Haulers have less chance).
- Exit the instance via supercruise into open space, then relog/mode switch. Re-enter the instance via supercruise
***To find convoy beacons systems: (you can also do tourism beacons for the bulgas)
1) Go to galaxy map
2) Go to filter tab
3) select filter by state
4) uncheck all but outbreak
5) set population min to pretty high and max to max high

Liz Ryder | (grade 3-4)
Learn from: Public sources
Gain access by: Gain Cordial status with Eurybia Blue Mafia
- Eurybia > Chris & Silvia's Paradise Hideout
Donate: 200 units of Landmines
- Byerus > Maybury Bastion

Hera Tani (grade 3-4)
Learn from: Liz Ryder (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Gain rank Outsider or higher with the Empire
Donate: Kamitra Cigars x50
- Kamitra > Hammel Terminal
- x15 to x45

Broo Tarquin
Learn from: Hera Tani (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Gain combat rank Competent or higher
Donate: Fujin Tea x50
- Fujin > Futen Spaceport
- x15

Tiana Fortune
Learn from: Hera Tani (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Friendly with the Empire.
Donate: Decoded Emission Data x50
- boom system state
- scan Federal Dropships, Assault ships and Gunships
- go to hazrez and Federal Dropships, Assault ships and Gunships
- go to conflict zones and dont pick a side and keep scanning

Felicity Farseer (grade 3-4)
Learn from: Public data sources
Gain access by: Gain exploration rank Scout or higher
Donate: Meta Alloys x1
- Maia > Darnielle's Progress

Juri Ishmaak (grade 3-4)
Learn from: Felicity Farseer (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Earn more than 50 combat bonds
- conflict zones
Donate: Provide 100,000 credits worth of combat bonds
- Conflict zones
- Can be any combat bonds
- Does not need to be all the same faction. Can be different ones as long as they all add up to 1 million.

Colonel Bris Dekker
Learn from: Juri Ishmaak (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Friendly with the Federation
Donate: Provide 1,000,000 credits worth of combat bonds
- Conflict zones
- Can be any combat bonds
- Does nto need to be all the same faction. Can be different ones as long as they all add up to 1 million.

The Sarge
Learn from: Juri Ishmaak (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Gain rank Midshipman or higher with the Federation
Donate: Aberrant Shield Pattern Analysis x50
- System with boom state
- scan combat ships
- go to hazrez and scan pirates
- Scan ships in super cruise

Tod "The Blaster" McQuinn (grade 3-4)
Learn from: Common knowledge
Gain access by: Earn more than 15 bounty vouchers
- Hazrez or nav beacons
Donate: Provide 100,000 credits worth of bounty vouchers
- Hazrez or nav beacons

Selene Jean (grade 3-4)
Learn from: Tod "The Blaster" McQuinn (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Mine at least 500 tons of ore
- Mine close to a system that has a station with controlling faction: Alioth Independents
- Sell the 500 tons at this station to get Allied with Alioth Independents faction and unlock Alioth permit needed for Bill Turner
- Mine Pristine Reserve Metalic rings for: Platinum, Painite, Palladium, gold
Donate: Painite x10
- Metalic rings

Didi Vatermann
Learn from: Selene Jean (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Gain trade rank Merchant or higher
Donate: Lavian Brandy x50
- Lave > Lave Station
- x24

Bill Turner
- allied with Alioth Independents
- do missions or trade with controlling faction
- permit is given as a mission you pick up once allied
Learn from: Selene Jean (grade 3-4)
Gain access by: Friendly status with Alliance of Independent Systems
Donate: Bromellite x50
- ice rings

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ranks
-----------------
Gain combat rank Dangerous or higher
Gain exploration rank Surveyor/Scout or higher
Gain trade rank Merchant or higher
- Traded in over 50 markets
Gain rank Friendly with the Empire.
Gain rank Midshipman or higher with the Federation

Scanning
------------------
50 units of Aberrant Shield Pattern Analysis // hasrez
50 units of Classified Scan Databanks // Just fly around doing your normal thing and basic scan every Beluga . Outbreak systems; Convoy Beacons should be plentiful. CSDs are probably the most common thing that can be found by scanning low-security planetary bases (see "Medium Security Settlement List..." thread in Engineers sub-forum for planetary bases list).
50 units of Decoded Emission Data // scan ships all over

Material
-----------------
25 units of Unknown Fragments // 130-150ly from Merope and look for "Anomaly Detected" signal sources. shoot or ram it. (HIP 14479 ?)

Mission rewards
-------------------
25 units of Modular Terminals

rare
---------------
50 units of Kamitra Cigars // Kamitra > Hammel Terminal
- x15 - x45
50 units of Fujin Tea // Fujin > Futen Spaceport
- x15
50 units of Lavian Brandy // Lave > Lave Station
- x24
25 units of Xihe Companions // Xihe > Xhen dock
- x10-20 at a time
25 units of Kongga Ale // Kongga > Laplace Ring, Kongga
- x18 at a time

commodity
---------------
1 unit of Meta Alloy // Maia > Darnielle's Progress
200 units of Landmines // Byerus > Maybury Bastion
200 units of Gold
- can be mined in metalic rings

Blackmarket
-----------------
(https://spytec.github.io/)
Use EDDB to look up "slaves" from area around these systems. Using a medium/small ship pick up 5+ slaves and deliver them to these 5 stations black market.
- Adnoartina > Babcock landing
- LTT 537 > Thiele vision
- Arikara > Bennett gateway
- Qetesh > Whipple Vision
- backlum > Ahnert-rohlfs terminal
***Does not require medium/small ship. Its just what I used and is easier to use outposts then stations for this.

You are looking for a station you can land at with the controlling faction being the faction you are trying to rep up with. You may need to look outside that factions home system if they're home system requires a permit (Alioth and Sirius)
1. https://eddb.io/faction
2. Plug in the minor faction at typ
3. Look for where it shows Controlling on right hand side
4. Ensure this is lined up with the faction you want on the left hand side
5. Verify the system is not the Alioth or Serius system as these require the permit your trying to get

Gain Cordial status with Eurybia Blue Mafia // Eurybia > Chris & Silvia's Paradise Hideout
Gain invitation from Party of Yoru (friendly)// invite on mission board // Yoru > Manning Base
Gain allied with Alioth Independents
- Have to grind rep to allied outside home system to get permit into home system
- Search in IDDB for a station with Alioth Independents as the controlling faction
- Perform missions and become allied with Alioth Independents
- If you fly out 5000Ly first, scanning each system with advanced discovery scanner then take a slighly different route back (so you have 10k worth of systems instead of just 5k) and sell it all at the station you will reach allied.
Gain invitation from Sirius Corporation //
- Have to grind rep to allied outside home system to get permit into home system
- Search in IDDB for a station with Sirius Corporation as the controlling faction
- Perform missions and become allied with Sirius Corporation

Attain a maximum distance from your career start location of at least 5,000 light years.
Earn more than 50 combat bonds
Earn more than 15 bounty vouchers

Mining https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6awHAOP76o
-----------------
***Mine at least 500 tons of ore
- Mine close to a system that has a station with controlling faction: Alioth Independents
- Sell the 500 tons at this station to get Allied with Alioth Independents faction and unlock Alioth permit needed for Bill Turner
- Mine Pristine Reserve Metalic rings for: Platinum, Painite, Palladium, gold
10 units of Painite
- Metalic rings
50 units of Bromellite
- Ice rings

Top Bottom