How to find asteroids for deep core blasting

Enjoyin' the new mining.

FvzAJJl.jpg

You dont really need to waste any prospector limpets once you find one that looks like a good candidate, with night vision on (even in light areas) you can see the fissures when you get close.

You do realize that for the best optimum chunks to be blown out of the explosion. Yes, it matters. You need the prospector. It tells you the depth of the charge you have to place.. Without optimum, you will at best have 3 chunks freed versus 15-19 freed chunks which means you make a lot more money using prospector alot more efficiently

I fly just below the “mass lock” threshold, all pips to engines, FA off and point down at 45 degrees holding the pulse button down. I also yaw a bit L-R-L to catch periphery rocks. Works a charm.

I've been wondering how best to fly along in one direction but point at an angle. I'm hopeless with my freelock on my little analog stick (and it seems to stop the pws if you look over a menu). I've been having great success following this guide and the searching out the best sell stations to maximise profit...they don't stay at such ridiculous prices for long though...

I fly just below the “mass lock” threshold, all pips to engines, FA off and point down at 45 degrees holding the pulse button down. I also yaw a bit L-R-L to catch periphery rocks. Works a charm.
Tried this today ... very nice! Fly across the top of the field at full speed, whack FA Off and zero the throttle so you're just coasting, then tilt down stabilise and start pinging. Lovely technique!

Enjoyin' the new mining.
Yep me too! I was happy selling all mix of cores to the closest station when you pointed out that some stations have occassionally mad prices...worth the 20+ly jump to triple your profit...I might dump some slots in my python to get more cargo as this is so much fun void opal hunting.

You should try doing this with NIGHT VISION on. I can find core asteroids without even firing a prospector probe. When I pull up to a asteroid and fire a probe, its 100% guarantee that its a core. With night vision / a core asteroid turns Dark Green in the middle. SO you see Bright orange and like a black / dark green blob right in the center. You can easily fly above the asteroid belt, scan scan scan, when something looks promising, turn towards it, fly to it and scan as you are flying and as you get closer and closer it gets brighter and the core turns black / dark green. Void opals ahead. I can do it so fast and find core opals so fast that im averaging about 200 mil / hr with 160 cargo

...I figured out that I only needed to look at the "knobby" asteroids - the ones that look a bit like a bunch of grapes. I'd use the PWS to identify asteroids with high yields, then go take a closer look at the knobby ones. If they had fissure cracks, I'd shoot off a prospector. In an alexandrite hot spot, every core was either alexandrite, opal, and one time bromellite. I ended up dumping excess limpets, and then excess opal, to make room for more alexandrite. I made 30 million in that one trip, which is about 3 times what I made in all my previous attempts at mining.

So bright yellow on the PWS doesn't mean it's a core asteroid - just that it has a high yield. And according to the pics posted above, it looks like the core asteroids have a different shape in rocky rings. Well, that's my experience anyway, for what it's worth.

My experience lines up with this. It not only has to be bright yellow, it must have the right shape. In rocky rings I liken the shape to a bunch of tree stumps, very blocky. But even with many hours of experience, core mining is not something done in a flash. Last night I looked in metal rich ring for monosite and found nothing in a solid hour of looking. You do earn the money you get when you crack one open.

BTW: I'm told that the reserve ratings such as pristine, only applies to planets in a system, not rings. Core mining in a ring in a pristine system will give no more than doing so in a common system.

Top Bottom