How to increase animal rating?

I'm on the last career mode level and my objective is to have 6 animals in my zoo with a five star animal rating. I'll purchase animals with high appeal rating, but they only have a two or three star animal rating. Is it something that just builds up over time or what?

It also seems to be related to it's size (they grow over time), how many babies they produce (more for females?) and how many peeps see them (if you have them tucked away they won't get a high rating). I'm not sure if any of it is about how often they are adopted as well.

The highest I have is 4 stars. It is a female red panda that has given birth. The now adult offspring has a 0 rating. One giant panda has 3 stars and the other 4 stars. These are much more recent editions. Red pandas were the first animals I had. The zoo has been running for years.

If something is going to affecting the game, like an animal rating, then the game should provide some guidence as to how to increase an animal rating.

Size definetly matters. Trying to breed 4x100 red pandas atm (managed to get two so far), so all my breeding pairs are at 92-100 in both size and longevity and all of them gets five stars befor they reach 15 years old, some even befor they are 10.

But the star system is really strange when it comes to some animals. At the last weeks challenge, I had loads of Elephant babys and I had to put the males in the trade centre as soon as they grew up to avoid fighting. When I put them in the trade centre, all of them were at one or two stars. But when I put them back out in a habitat, some of them were still at 1-2, but many of them were for some reason at 4-5 stars?? I've seen loads of Elephant bulls at 5 stars as soon as they mature (never directly in the habitat, but either when putting them in the tradecentre and then back out or buying young bulls on the market). So ye, the starsystem is pretty wierd sometimes...

Just checked my red panda males to compare and see how much the stats matter, and ye, I have no idea how it works...

male 1 is 8.8 years old, have 83% in size, 100% in longevity and have 4 stars
male 2 is 9.7 years old, have 100% in size, 100% in longevity and have 3 stars

Their habitats are right next to eachother and are exactly the same when it comes to foliage and enrichement (I made one habitat, put it into a group and just copied it over to the next habitat)

Seems very strange to me...

I found buried in the help info in the game info about the star rating. The animal rating increases over time. It will increase based on how well the animal is taken care of. Other factors include the genetics of the animal, with the primary factor being its longevity. The longer an animal is in your zoo, the better chance you have of a 5 star.

So basically, get animals from outside of the zoo to breed that will give you an animal that lives longer than normal. Raise that offspring in the zoo. Make sure its welfare is maximized as much as possible. Then sit around and wait and you might get a 5 star animal.

Last edited:

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
This is a high level description of what you need to do to get a high animal rating:
You mainly need to take good care of your animals and make sure you keep their welfare as high as possible for as long as possible. A higher welfare means the star rating will rise faster. An animal's lifespan also affects how easy it is to reach a 5 star rating - the better the animal's longevity gene, the more time there is for the animal to reach 5 stars.

Top Bottom