How to kill the game

I think i'll only come back once they remove the threat of horizons going away. Even if the horizons poison pill is in limbo right now with the console release, if they made the decision to keep it going for legacy value id jump back in.

Sure if they fix odysee i'll update myself, but given david braben was astounded that everything was not fine targeting 30fps at 1080p on pc, just to my personal measure, where elite ends up in the future is too uncertain.

... The problem is there's still too many open issues with odysee. Its not just performance, its the skybox, lighting etc. Ive done and been past the early adopter phase, so these days i just want something stable and of reasonable quality.

Last edited:
What happened to all of those posters saying the player drop off was due to "summer" and not EDO being a poop sandwich?

Player activity does usually drop off over summer & pick up again in the autumn, forum activity too. Lockdown & home working appeared to have a positive effect on gaming generally in 2020 and to a lesser extent 2021, so the effect the Odd launch has had is masked by other influences but it seems pretty obvious it's not gone as well as it could have.

Well, the younger people are back in school. And soon everyone will be preparing for Thanksgiving and Halloween. :p

You mean the month that's still in progress? You know why a partial month would be less than a full one right?
I don't think he meant absolute numbers, but average or peak. Sure, those can still change but I think they can give us an idea already.

You suggested September and it looks like this is the worst September since the game's release, if we're just looking at Steam numbers. At least at the moment it is. Maybe the story events can pull back in enough players to avoid that.

I don't think he meant absolute numbers, but average or peak. Sure, those can still change but I think they can give us an idea already.

You suggested September and it looks like this is the worst September since the game's release, if we're just looking at Steam numbers. At least at the moment it is. Maybe the story events can pull back in enough players to avoid that.

The current month always reports low. You can look at the past 30 days but thats part of August.

This is the same summer slump pattern the game shows literally every summer back to 2014.

Someone always wants to play chicken little for some reason though.

You mean the month that's still in progress? You know why a partial month would be less than a full one right?
Let me help you.

Today is September 20.

There are 30 days in September.

That's 2/3rd of the month. 66.6%.

More than half the month.

The school year begins for most students in the last week of August.

That would be before September begins.

Here is the Steam chart for Elite Dangerous for the Month of September.
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.46.02 PM.png

Here is the % change data.
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.46.19 PM.png

Here is the trend since Odyssey release.
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.47.05 PM.png

Are you really going to claim "summer" did it?
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.51.04 PM.png

You make me feel like this guy.
seal.jpg

Let me help you.

Today is September 20.

There are 30 days in September.

That's 2/3rd of the month. 66.6%.

More than half the month.

The school year begins for most students in the last week of August.

That would be before September begins.

Here is the Steam chart for Elite Dangerous for the Month of September.
View attachment 263451
Here is the % change data.
View attachment 263452
Here is the trend since Odyssey release.
View attachment 263453
Are you really going to claim "summer" did it?
View attachment 263455
You make me feel like this guy.
View attachment 263454

Yeah,

I really am.

You can claim otherwise if you like but cute seal graphics aside its the same summer slump in numbers we see literally every summer.

You can see similar slumps in CS Go and in raised US gas prices. I outlined all of this for several other chicken little wannabes on a previous thread I can't be bothered to look up for you today.

Elite drops to a baseline near 4k users peak every summer.

Did this time come after a major spike from Odyssey? Yup. Its also the first summer after a global lockdown.

Yet you folks keep wanting to look at a partial month and compare numbers to the whole month.... it's how Enron hopes you'll study climate change.

Me I'll wait until September is fully done then look at its numbers compared to previous Septembers. I'll be expecting Steam user counts to rise gradually as we move into colder months and if the data supports it I'll even agree that numbers aren't where I'd like them to be, if they don't rise.

However I'll also continue to laugh at all the doom and gloom folks who've been bloviating about how the "game is dying" because the numbers there are already in. Frontier is ptotlfitable. Elite is a large section of that profit base and the game is getting continual and regular development and content.

If you think the game is dying you are delusional and I'll be expecting you to tout Invermectin.

Players come and go.

See any number of new players asking forum questions, then you see the farewell posts, maybe they cancel out.

Video games come and go, not many are playing Asteroids or Galaga presently.

FD will keep the game afloat as long as it's profitable, they'll pull the plug when it isn't, follow the money.

"The school year begins for most students in the last week of August."

Oh really?

Not where I grew up - my nieces & nephews all started back after labour day weekend.

Not where I am raising my kids - they started back first week of September.

And not university students in the UK - they started back on 20 September.

Top Bottom