How to launch Elite Dangerous Without VR and without disconnect the HTC Vive ???

Hi,

Is someone know how to not launch the VR mode when your HTC Vive is connected?

even if i quit SteamVR, Elite launch it automatically :(

i didn't see any option in the Launcher too.

for the moment the only solution i find is to disconnect the electric cable.

it's quite boring... :(

There is a setting inside SteamVR to launch when an application launches. Uncheck it and Elite will stop auto launching SteamVR. I'm at work so I can't remember the exact place in SteamVR settings, but it's shouldn't be hard to find.

You can change in graphics options in game as well.
In short just disable the 3d setting from HMD to none.

Ideally you can switch have between screen and hmd without even restarting the game.

Last edited:
I don't launch Elite via steam either, but by default SteamVR detects VR capable apps opening and will auto start itself regardless if the app is launched via steam. Open SteamVR and click Settings -> Developer and then uncheck "Start SteamVR when an application starts".

Common problem cause by Steam VR setting.
No matter how you have ED configured, Even if you're not using Steam to launch ED, if you have Steam VR installed, it recognizes any VR enabled game and takes over.

Open Steam VR, go into settings, under Developer, disable "Start Steam VR when an application starts"

That setting makes Steam VR launch and take over any time a VR capable application launches
So no matter what you do to configure or re-configure Elite settings, it will still launch in VR every time unless you disable that setting or unplug the headset.

Last edited:
I don't launch Elite via steam either, but by default SteamVR detects VR capable apps opening and will auto start itself regardless if the app is launched via steam. Open SteamVR and click Settings -> Developer and then uncheck "Start SteamVR when an application starts".

thanks for this tip. this had been annoying me greatly. I was resorting to just unplugging the power plug for the HMD from the little module which works as well.

thanks for this tip. this had been annoying me greatly. I was resorting to just unplugging the power plug for the HMD from the little module which works as well.
But that is not the solution. The VR compositor still loads and take CPU time.
Is there a working solution to prevent ED from loading Steam VR?

I suppose Dr.Kaii's profile manager would be able tl handle this. Make one profile for HMD and one without.

Or you can set the 3d settings in graphics to off before closing.

I will give it a try, although I don't think it will change anything. Because even if VR is disabled in-game on exit, it doesn't change the behaviour on the next start. But it will be nice to have a custom VR preset, since ED sometimes changes the quality setting back to 'high'.

Also there is the command line launcher option (I completely forgot)

In your launcher shortcut or steam options I guess, append /novr after the target.

Can just make a second desktop shortcut for it.

Like so
Wwysi2U.png
http://imgur.com/a/sUx9g

This does launch the regular game menu etc, but it still triggers the oculus or steamvr software to launch and closing them still closes the game.. :(
Guess you would have to stop the running VR services to not trigger those, and that could lead to other issues.

Last edited:
Weird, unchecking start steam in vr when app starts worked fine for me. Doesn't launch any VR related anything. If I want to play any game in VR I just have to open Steam vr manually at the top right of steam from the icon there now before I open any vr game. Which isn't that big of a deal.

Not sure why that isn't the same for everyone. I do have steam client beta updates on?

Last edited:
Top Bottom