Ships How would YOU fix the Type-7? (Seriously)

I really like the T7. The only thing I would do is increase the jump range. As it stands I'm making a million + credits every time I have half an hour or so to play. Yeah it flies like a brick but my daily driver is an old Econoline so I'm used to it. I want to play space trucker and I like a ship that feels like a truck. This game needs some unwieldy ships just make it a little sweeter to master them.

No the players needs common sense. Like avoid high risk areas.

As far as I can tell, in ED there is no distinction between "high" risk and "low" risk areas in the game.

In all areas in this game you can get interdicted and destroyed in a pure trading ship, there is no place in this game that is not safe from random (NPC) violence.

The type 7 really shouldn't be compared with the python. But from a trade perspective I can understand how it's difficult not to compare.

I would do 1 of the following:

- Medium landing pad access. The type 7 is not THAT big. Either give it to the Type7 or take it from the Python. The discrepancy right now is rather stupid.
OR
- More armor. Like FAS level armor. The type7 is a semi-truck after all. It shouldn't fall apart when you tap it's hand.

It's cargo haul is OK for it's price point, medium landing pads vs Clipper large landing pads help distinguish the 2. It also opens up a wide range of possibilities that would let it shine for what it's intended to do - trade or mine.

I favor armor over shielding because there should be risk in flying a type 7, financial risk. Unfortunately it's very all-or-nothing risk. You get interdicted and die, or you don't. Having a grey area in repair costs would help offset that. Especially if they made it so 60% damage would cause your cargo hatch to fail and you would start losing cargo.

-K

Last edited:
my personal buff for it?
1. two medium slots
2. lvl 6 power distributor
3. if necessary a higher class powerplant to allow using this thing as a mid-class mining ship.

for trading - since i don't do it, i don't know.
as a federation player, i disagree with anyone telling "for just a few millions more you get the clipper"... no you don't

T-7 should have an extra class 6 cargo rack.

That would make it useful.

... and a bigger power plant so you can put an A6 shield in there.
And bigger hardpoints.

I had a T7 as a stepping-stone to a Python. I sold almost all of my other ships so I could buy the Python and get a out of that horrible thing ASAP.

However, in its devence, I tried mining recently and enjoyed it, so I now have a T7 mining ship, and it's not entirely terrible. Trouble is, there's still no shields to speak of, no power plant to speak of, no weapons to speak of, and no thrusters to speak of.
It can't even manage to fire 3 small mining lasers for more than about 5 seconds, so I use 2.

I doubt the T7 will be changed now. The only thing that could happen is that they could release another trading ship and do like they did to the T6 to make the Keelback, a new version toughened up a little.
Amost anything could be said to justify the changes, like more efficient use of space within the frame has allowed Lakon to fit a larger class powerplant and FSD whilst external thrusters improve maneuverability. A medium hardpoint to turn it into a good mining ship and the increase in mass lock factor to 12 as the OP suggested. The rear facing hardpoint for a turret weapon would be useful too, assisting escape from an asteroid ring. The T7could then be discounted to 15million and the new tougher T7 maybe at 20million credits.
It wouldn't make the T7 un-piratable, just less of a one sided encounter with anything.

I doubt the T7 will be changed now. The only thing that could happen is that they could release another trading ship and do like they did to the T6 to make the Keelback, a new version toughened up a little. ...
actually, they did something to the FDL, giving it a bigger powerplant without chaning the ship itself ;)

hauler in elite dangerous differ from anything i am used as "trading ships" in space games. Trading ships should be Cargospace with huge engines to move that mass. and due to the performance of their reactors, they should not have even the slightest issue shooting with small turreted weapons infinitely.

the weapon placement on the T6 never made sense to me (two small front mounts) as their location is very bad for turret mounts...
same with the T7. two of the four slots are forward only mounts, while the sides and the back is barely covered by the remaining two "turrets"

last but not least... why do those ship come with fixed pulse lasers, not turreted by default?

Personally i think the best thing to do with this ship is to remove it completely from the game.

That leaves a huge gap between the Asp at 6.7mil and the Orca at 48.5mil credits with nothing in between. If you don't want to rank up in either Federation or Empire that is.

That leaves a huge gap between the Asp at 6.7mil and the Orca at 48.5mil credits with nothing in between. If you don't want to rank up in either Federation or Empire that is.
There's still a huge gap in of pure cargo ships even between the Type 7 and the Type 9 now, in terms of both cost and capacity. I'd cut the cost of the Type 7 to about 9 million, and split the gap with a Type 8 in the 30 million price range, max out around 375 tons of cargo, and have two class 2 hardpoints for mining. That's about where I would place it, anyway.

Last edited:
I'd be up for it being price cut, cause it is a bit on the high side for the Masterpiece of Engineering the T-7 is. possibly introduce a new variant to take its place that would be worth its price and bring it down to the 9-11 mil range leaving the newer better one at the original price.

I think the T7 is pretty good where it is now, might be a bit slow in the maneuvering department, but it is basically a cargo container with engines strapped on.
Used mine to step from an Asp to a T9, didn't really have any bad experiences in it (apart from grimacing at the duct-tape cockpit), but hey, its basically a...

Carefully.

Rather short range trading routes in very familiar territory. Avoid Anarchy regions at all costs and try to make the Type-7 as durable as possible so it can even take multiple rail gun hits and still frame shift away. Make sure you always keep an additional pool of money for repairs.

Come to terms with an acceptable amount of sacrifice of cargo space for increased durability.

You can't out fight nothing.........You can't outrun nothing.......So you have to build it to take it and keep moving!

Last edited:
Looking into it, It's not really a bad looking ship except for the front of it IMO. Me and Charles might Skunk one when I get 34 million credits and see what we can come up with. :)

Last edited:

I hear your point, but ignoring the Imperial rank grind is actually quite silly if you want to bridge this 'gap'. Imperial rank is easy to grind and the 'gap' you mentioned is easily filled by the infinitely more superior Clipper. (Type 7: 17mil with 15% discount/Clipper: 22mil with 15% discount) I stick with my original point, scrap the Type 7. Everyone avoids it (I skipped it completely and went straight to Type 9).

Last edited:
IMHO, they could somehow relocate the internals a bit to make this thing one or two meters less high, then it would fit into a medium hangar.
place for relocation? the rediculus high cockpit. whats the point of a 3 stories high glass bubble ?

I hear your point, but ignoring the Imperial rank grind is actually quite silly if you want to bridge this 'gap'. Imperial rank is easy to grind and the 'gap' you mentioned is easily filled by the infinitely more superior Clipper. (Type 7: 17mil with 15% discount/Clipper: 22mil with 15% discount) I stick with my original point, scrap the Type 7. Everyone avoids it (I skipped it completely and went straight to Type 9).

sorry for my ignorance... but what about imperial rank grind is easy to come by if i am dedicated federal or alliance pilot?

Last edited:
IMHO, they could somehow relocate the internals a bit to make this thing one or two meters less high, then it would fit into a medium hangar.
place for relocation? the rediculus high cockpit. whats the point of a 3 stories high glass bubble ?

sorry for my ignorance... but what about imperial rank grind is easy to come by if i am dedicated federal or alliance pilot?
I guess you missed the sale in honour of Arissa's coronation when they dropped the rank requirement and had a major discount for around about a week.

Just grind. It's easy:) at the end of the day its just a game.
I switch allegiance all the time. Means you can get rank in both Fed and Empire and get friendly status with alliance.
It's not as set in stone as it appears.

Last edited:
Top Bottom