How you cause the Thargoid "grudge"

Having password recovery issues, sorry for the first post on new account. Not my first day playing.

So I noticed that lots of people were mentioning that after they did certain things, the Thargs seem to hyperdict and pursue them in-system. It wasn't really confirmed yet whether this was chance or if we do something to cause it. Fortunately I have both a PS4 account and PC, so was able to compare and contrast results on two separate first contacts. Here is what I found.

Things that make Thargoids angry temporarily, but they do not hunt you afterwards:
Getting too close to their scavenging.
Deploying limpets in their vicinity.
Deploying hardpoints close to them, without firing.
Deploying a fighter close to them, but then withdrawing.
A few random attacks their way, without staying to engage at length.

Things that seem to make you "marked":
Any prolonged attack against the Thargoids
Carrying any kind of non-human artifacts or materials, even non-Thargoid ones.
Successfully retrieving a black box or escape pod from a ship they have destroyed (they really don't like this)
Harvesting samples from them with limpets.
Any attempt to interfere with interactions between Thargoid ships and other structures.

This is still in progress and could still be coincidence, but here's how I tested. On both accounts I used an Explorer with the same equipment. At first neither was carrying any artifacts and neither had any hard points at all. Before I interacted with a non-human signal source, I was never hyperdicted at all. That could still be chance, but I think you have a much lower chance if you are not doing anything to offend them. Then after I just approached them, tried to scan, flew around etc. still no pursuit or hyperdiction on either account. Then I tried doing the same with an artifact on board, they became displeased. Still not the bright red flashing angry, but angry enough that all three ships in the encounter stopped what they were doing to kill me. After that I was hyperdicted fairly regularly in that system (Merope).

Then I tried being aggressive with the second account, but without any artifacts on board. I tried the top things first, they got a little mad, but no pursuit. Then once I became more aggressive, they pursued that ship as well. I wasn't able to test each individual thing separately, so some of this is info from other players who had the same results.

Top Bottom