Apologies for my noobness but I've been trying to just follow your advice and how I should support Hudson and where, but am confused on how some things work. According to their videos Fortifying lowers upkeep, and Undermining raises an enemy's upkeep. You say on reddit to not support systems such as Groombridge b/c they're losing money, but when I check it in the game, it's listed as making a profit, a lot of profit. Your wiki says we want to Undermine it, not Fortify, but we can't undermine it. It's not an enemy control system.

I'm so confused.

Thanks for checking out our reddit. Unfortunately the numbers in game are not the whole story. Additionally to the "profit" you see there we have to pay overheads of ~62 CC per system. In numbers: Real CC profit of a system = base income - upkeep costs - overheads. I.e. for Groombridge: Real CC profit = 56 - 21 - 62 = -27 You don't have to do that for every system yourself, just look the real numbers up in the strategy sticky list.

We don't fortify bad systems usually because we want to protect our good systems first. You are right btw, we can't undermine our own systems, but in case of our bad ones we kind of hope that our opponents do it. In an optimal world this would open up the chance to drop bad systems in Turmoil phases. Unfortunately the circumstances are often not as optimal as they could be. But that would be way to boring anyway ;)

So never ever fortify a system that the game says has a profit of less than 62 cc? Why on earth does the game hide that hidden overhead? And how did you figure it out?

Lots of people, myself included tbh, love reddit as much as they love facebook or twitter - any chance you guys could run your operation on the official forums instead? If not, how about at least pasting info here directly? Honestly, if there was some way of contacting all hudson backers we could make all the fortify deliveries within hours. This baffles me. This info should be inside the game really.

Yeah we reddit Hudsonites probably didn't post enough informations about our current goals here in the past, sorry for that. For the last weeks CMDR ShodFir has been posting all links to weekly stickies and in-cycle priority changes here though. The problem with doing everything here (aside from the additional workload to keep two forums up to date, i.e. we are already closing Hanggardi by now) is probably the fact that all our reddit mods & leadership members (I'm just a regular CMDR btw) are just normal users here too. Would be impossible to keep our important sticky posts in the most visible spots, having useful links and materials in the sidebar and so on. Reddit is just a much better place for that kind of self organisation, every PP faction's organised playerbase is based on their subreddit really.

So never ever fortify a system that the game says has a profit of less than 62 cc? Why on earth does the game hide that hidden overhead? And how did you figure it out?

Usually we work down our public fortification list from the best systems to the bottom, so don't worry about fortifying bad systems with less than 62 CC unless it's specifically stated on the sticky.

The game does a very poor job at displaying many PP related informations sadly (aside from unresolved bugs that have been around for way to long now). Overheads are actually not the same for each power, for bigger powers like Hudson they are capped at 62.1 CC per system, for smaller powers (<55 systems) they are actually increasing exponentially with the number of control systems. No idea why there is no easy accessible ingame information about overheads at all though. Most of the somewhat shrouded parts of PowerPlay were figured out by smart players racking their brains. You'll find most of these experts on the power subreddits actually. Then they explained the stuff to people like me. In the end we'll have a lot of players that have a better understanding of PowerPlay hopefully.

Didn't know that stickies were actually a thing here, I stand corrected. :D

I disagree with the reddits being a subset of this forum though. In fact a lot of redditors are not active here at all from what I see. Just compare the activity on the power subreddits with the relatively quiet PowerPlay section here in the Frontier Forums. Then we also have people on Teamspeak which are only active there. And the Taco Corp XBox community with their own sitw too... That said every Hudson CMDR should be able to get to PP infos quickly & conveniently regardless of the forum of choice of course.

Right now most infos are just one click on a link away, no reddit account needed to read the weekly posts. It's also not the case that people commenting here are just completely ignored. That high ground mentality you talk abou just doesn't exist imo. I guess the reddit organisers could think about posting more direct information here, personally I'm just doubtful about the net benefit.

Still, it's dumbfounding that we repeatedly fail to fortify the right systems week on week. Just think about it, there are thousands of players pledged to Space Nixon and it would only take 100 dedicated pilots (which is a ridiculously low number) to cart all the cargo yet... How does this happen?

Well we have new people showing up on reddit on a regular basis, hard to say how many of those we actually found ingame first and pointed there though. Many players are not following this forum or the reddits either unfortunately, in combination with the bad ingame info this just creates a lot of people that don't really know what they are doing even if they want to help their power. And there are of course the members of the Groombridge brigade, most of those just want to make merits as conveniently as possible to get some bonus and have no actual interest in Powerplay at all.

The only reason I bring it up is that reddit users are a subset of forum users. Every user on your reddit is also a user here. Most users here aren't users of reddit. You'd get maximum exposure here, especially from casual users who just started and have no idea what they're doing and end up working against their faction's interest. You can take the intellectual and moral high ground or submit to people's inherent laziness and provide the info they want here. A simple sticky post with a attention getting title saying "do these things now, don't do these things" would go a long way. The forum I linked to is probably a bad example - too much flavour text, too little itemised and short TODO list.

I said more or less the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Many casual users don't know what "expansion" or "control" really means. All they're interested in is the easiest way to get merits so that they can get the benefits. I'd say that a simple thread, "how to get your merits this week" listing the activities from the strategy in a simple way that any dunderhead can understand, like Carry fortification supplied from Nanomam to these systems:........... would get significantly more participation in the right rctivities and stop them fortifying Groombridge 1618.

I played in Powerplay for several weeks without a clue as to what I was supposed to do. All I was interested in were the bonuses. I kept getting the message that ZH needed my help, but I couldn't find an answer to what I was supposed to do to help him. Of course it's easy once you've figured it out, and just in case you think I must be thick: I'm not. I recently passed all the schoolteacher exams, which include a government test on English comprehension.

Having said all that, I don't want to decry the good work that the guys are doing on the two forums. The info for ZH is by far the best, but I think that it would be better if it were presented on two levels: A simple one for casual users, and more detail about strategy and analysis for those that want to enjoy the immersion.

Lots of people, myself included tbh, love reddit as much as they love facebook or twitter - any chance you guys could run your operation on the official forums instead? If not, how about at least pasting info here directly?

The content on those stickys change hour by hour as situations evolve. Pasting static versions on FF has proved in the past to be problematic.

Right now there are up to eight people with the keys to change/update the sticky on the subreddit to cover different timezones as situations evolve.

To repost information in a visually appealing way from reddit to frontier forums requires reformatting from the markdown variant that reddit uses to the uBB variant that Frontier Forums uses. Not all our staff members have this ability. Again, pasting static images does not work in the dynamic environment that is a powerplay cycle as has been discovered in the past.

The only reason I bring it up is that reddit users are a subset of forum users. Every user on your reddit is also a user here. Most users here aren't users of reddit. You'd get maximum exposure here, especially from casual users who just started and have no idea what they're doing and end up working against their faction's interest. You can take the intellectual and moral high ground or submit to people's inherent laziness and provide the info they want here. A simple sticky post with a attention getting title saying "do these things now, don't do these things" would go a long way. The forum I linked to is probably a bad example - too much flavour text, too little itemised and short TODO list.
I'd say that a simple thread, "how to get your merits this week" listing the activities from the strategy in a simple way that any dunderhead can understand, like Carry fortification supplied from Nanomam to these systems:...........

Respectfully the Strategy Sticky already contains this information...

Go undermining here... (work down the list)

qXocxAS.png

"Carry fortification supplied from Nanomam to these systems" (work down the list)

ZRA8QSm.png

We are always making changes to the way we do things and are always welcoming of new members and input.

"Ask not what your Power can do for you, ask what you can do for your Power" - CMDR ShodFir.

Last edited:
Haven't thought of that, especially the editing by several people bit. I can see why you don't do it here then. One can only hope people click the link more often then. Maybe making the reddit post shorter could help too. When I first read the reddit post I couldn't tell which bit was the important part (I'd put it in the first paragraph).
It's all important. :)

But seriously, you just need to find the section that interests you. Want to undermine? Check that section. Fortify? Same. Push expansions? Possibly not necessary thanks to grinders but there's a section for that too. They keep the format the same week to week so you get a feel for the layout real quick.

Haven't thought of that, especially the editing by several people bit. I can see why you don't do it here then. One can only hope people click the link more often then.

That is indeed the plan, and to be honest since we returned to the powerplay section of the frontier forum in this way we have seen a significant number of increases in certain variables which is great.

Maybe making the reddit post shorter could help too. When I first read the reddit post I couldn't tell which bit was the important part (I'd put it in the first paragraph).

The first link in the Hudson Cycle XX posts I make here on FF is to the Cycle Priorities Sticky which was developed specifically for the reasons you talk about so hopefully it hits that intended mark...

trq1bLh.png

The priorities are changed about as the cycle progresses and situations change and things like the updates and alerts you see posted here are also added there.

The second link in the Hudson Cycle XX posts is to the Strategy Sticky but as you can see there are also links to the Strategy Sticky from within the relevant sections of the Cycle Priorities Sticky to aid in understanding each section of the Strategy Sticky.

All this was done to make things both more easier to follow and more immersive simultaneously - from the feedback we've received so far we're getting it right but we want it to be even better obviously. Thanks for your input. :)

I am new to PowerPlay (and have joined this Power) so I am firstly very impressed by the level of detail and coordination here... Well Done to all..

That said, I am still very confused on what needs to be done to be successful in PP, how to do all of this (undermining and the rest). I will work through the various links and videos and hope to be able to help & contribute in the near future. Thanks for doing all of this - now at least I have a forum (and I need to find the Reddit section that is constantly referred to as well) to keep tabs on.

That said, I am still very confused on what needs to be done to be successful in PP, how to do all of this (undermining and the rest). I will work through the various links and videos and hope to be able to help & contribute in the near future. Thanks for doing all of this - now at least I have a forum (and I need to find the Reddit section that is constantly referred to as well) to keep tabs on.

If you want to find our reddit, you have to search no more. Here it is. ;) If you want to get a basic idea of all PP activities (from the Hudson perspective) you can watch this video. We also have guides for our new players in our right sidebar and in the strategy sticky. If you are a newish player I wouldn't bother with doing fortification/preparation for merits for now (quite expensive), except if you have times where you are in the reach of your PC (or are you on XBox?) and can fill up with the free contingents every 30 minutes. Best way at the beginning is to wing up with us to undermine though. Just keep posting stuff that's unclear here or on reddit. Would be much faster to answer everything you want to know on our Teamspeak, so feel free to hop on.

Re reddit, i just started there and noticed some 5 minute block to replying / communicating...im done with that !

An in game PP chat/communications would be sweet...and kinda basic it seems to me. For a game like PP timing and coordination seems important, no?

In the chat window our location could be seen by fellows in our faction/power and the overseer of the power could also see somehow where everyone is and be able to comm with those to request their aid in some location...etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom