HUGE drop in fps after crash + constant crashes at dark settlements....

1- When ever I open something over the top of Elite, the fps shot up to 130-140, the gpu usage leveled out to to around 40-50% and the game ran smooth in the background. Was it measuring everything on the screen, causing it to peak and level out? or still just measuring Elite?

What happens if you run the game in a window, leave the window completely unobscured, but don't have it selected/focused? Whappens if you close everything that creates any kind of overlay?

2- In the last pic you can see on the top graph showing usage when I had something open on top of the game. But more importantly I think is the gpu memory is tanked out at nearly 8Gb, which is all the memory available on a 5600XT. So is that my bottleneck? If so then I need to find out what's causing it.

If you can lower resolution and settings to the point where video memory is no longer maxed out and the frame rate, or CPU or GPU utilization, shoots up that's would be a strong indicator that your usual combination of settings and running applications need more VRAM.

If you can lower resolution and settings to the point where video memory is no longer maxed out and the frame rate, or CPU or GPU utilization, shoots up that's would be a strong indicator that your usual combination of settings and running applications need more VRAM.

Ok strange one here. I fired up elite about 2 hours ago for the first time this weekend to give this a try, haven't touched the game or my pc since Friday. And would you believe it's playing fine. I'm getting around 130-140 fps in space and around planets, drops to between 70-90 fps around stations and on foot, which I'd expected. Cpu usage is 30-45% depending where I am, and temp never goes above 72 degrees. Same for the gpu sitting around the 60-65% usage no matter what I'm doing, and temp never goes above 65 degrees (see pics). Graphics are set to ultra with a couple of things turned down or off, as it was before the crash, and the usual elite apps running in the background.

So this has got me stumped, I know it can't fix itself. But I'm not gonna knock it. I'll just have to wait and see if it starts playing up again, and carry on diagnosing from there..

Thanks for your help guys. It's appreciated. For now it's o7

Attachments

• Elite Dangerous_2023.08.06-20.12.png
    Elite Dangerous_2023.08.06-20.12.png
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • Elite Dangerous_2023.08.06-20.14.png
    Elite Dangerous_2023.08.06-20.14.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
Top Bottom