Hyperspace Jumping Between A, B, C etc. Stars

I find it reasonable that when I am travelling between star systems (distances measured in light years) that I can only target and jump to the A star (the primary). Once I'm in a multiple star system, I find it unreasonable that I have to spend 20 minutes of my time while my ship supercruises to the B, C or D star. I would like to suggest that, once I've jumped into the system, I can then target the B, C or D star and jump to it. Then, use supercruise to reach the planets or stations orbiting that star. Thank you in advance for considering this suggestion!

Lestat

Banned
You have features when you accept a mission or when you want to go to a place like Hutton Orbital to buy system data and find out if that location is too far or not.

As I understand it, FDev does it like this to give pilots a sense of scale of the universe/galaxy they are flying in. If you could 'insta-jump' to any location, you would not have that sense of size of the universe you are flying in.

I don't mind the travel process as it currently stands, the devs should rather focus on other aspects, but being able to jump to a specific star in a system is not a bad suggestion.

You have features when you accept a mission or when you want to go to a place like Hutton Orbital to buy system data and find out if that location is too far or not.
The OP didn't even mention missions.

How would you get the system data before jumping into an unexplored system (e.g. when out exploring)?

Greetings,

Given the game play all ships NPCs or live players generally fly close to the same speeds in Supercruise so that they can interact with each other. Some have better turning rates and engineered thrusters can be quicker on a station final approach but the speeds are kept in check. So how would sun only jumping effect game play?

1. A mission to a secondary B sun in a system requires 53,000LS travel and pays a lot of credits because of the distance. Jumping to that B sun after arrival now that distance could be 200LS and still get the same payout. It also minimizes any interdiction game play should it occur especially if four ships are after you.

2. Explorers in the galaxy often look to have their CMDR name applied to first discoveries. While sun jumping might be quicker (depending on FSS range abilities I'm mot sure about) maybe this would be faster but if true (maybe not) negates the effort and sense of accomplishment others did to to map a system. It could certainly get one to a possible high value material planet for farming or earth like worlds for a better payout.

3. The immersion that Frontier developed is lost when we just skip the vastness of space for a quick jump. Then it is more of an arcade game. Some like that.

Astronomy accuracy is a big deal for Frontier. The release of Frontier: Elite II (c1993) has been used by students at a U.K. college of astronomy for their studies. I actually got a mental understanding of all the close worlds around us. Imagine going to Alpha Centauri and not experiencing the distance to their suns. It is our closest star system at 4.37 light years and we still haven't figured out how to get there yet even with a probe. With our current space technology we're still working on how to get to Mars and back. If any aliens have visited us they are probably laughing as they view our primitive attempts to gel around our solar system. I just hope that aliens have a sense of humor! :)

But Frontier resolved all of this bending the faster-than-light rules and still coming up with an appreciation of how big our galaxy is while still having a game we can play. A trip to Hutton Orbital is a player accomplishment one should experience. Jumping to other suns might be convenient but the more we go for arcade the less we appreciate the astronomy Frontier put into the game.

Two questions:

1. How many players bought or have access to an expensive astronomy telescope, later played the Elite games, then saw the stars that they were looking at a little differently?

2. How many players played the Elite games then bought or had access to an expensive astronomy telescope as well as deciding to make their life career in astronomy or space exploration?

These are rhetorical questions. No need to answer. Many made career decisions watching mid '60s Star Trek episodes on NBC! Thus that smart phone so many use sometimes to extreme depending upon too much in their life. But that is another off-topic thread.

Regards to All

Last edited:
Top Bottom