I am loving the SCO FSD.

Yes, it would be great if the route plotter jet cone boost option had the option of including neutron stars but excluding white dwarfs.

I believe the Spansh plotter allows one to do exactly this. It's a great tool. I've used it for a number of forays into deep space, in order to reach areas that are largely unexplored.

With how 'blessed' we are in ways to earn millions of credits these days, the risk/reward bit hardly counts - but individuals will make their own decision on that.
Although, for me, the very same factors makes them fun - but I don't play 'seriously', which explains a lot, I guess!

It's not about the money. It's about time, the precious resource that we all have limited amounts of unless and until some clever person invents an immortality serum. Getting my ship destroyed and having to spend the necessary time to retrace my route over hundreds of light years, to get back on track to where I was originally heading before being blown up, is not what I would consider a worthwhile use of my time. So take steps to avoid having to do that. Long-distance exploring is one of my "chill" gaming activities rather than the white-knuckle experience I can get from doing other things.

I believe the Spansh plotter allows one to do exactly this. It's a great tool. I've used it for a number of forays into deep space, in order to reach areas that are largely unexplored.
Yes, I use it a lot. It does rely on destination and origin systems to have been visited which in some parts of the galaxy still isn't the case, whereas the Galaxy Map in the game obviously has every system, but that's not a big deal. With some fiddling you can always find a route.

I became quite curious and wondered whether it is possible to maintain fuel-scooping during Overcharge and whether it would be enough to offset the usage, so I took a Python 2 to VY Canis Majoris. The result was that even the massive VY Canis Majoris is narrowly too small for loops in Overcharge to be within fuel-scooping range:
  • The 5A SCO is hopeless due to +100% speed being much too fast.
  • The 5C SCO gets closer due to the steadier +80% speed, but still has a too far orbit radius around ~10000 Ls.
  • The 5E SCO is hopeless due to lack of control for enough angular turn rate, despite being +0% speed—and it overheats.
Without the Overcharge control penalty of anything which is not a Python 2, I imagine a Asp Explorer would otherwise be able to loop-and-scoop VY Canis Majoris due to extremely good Supercruise turning.

It's annoying that we get a "mass-lock" warning when trying to SCO away from a planetoid despite the masslock lamp being switched off already in the HUD.

Speeding away is the main reason I want to use this. But I can't. By the time that second, invisible mass lock layer is passed, the system I want to jump to tends to be not obstructed anymore anyway :p

FWIW, the inability to sco away from a body doesn't always happen, in fact it mostly works. I've logged a few moons where this happened to me, and so far they've all been under 0.10g. It appears that there is no problem leaving bodies with higher gravity, but this still needs some science and possibly a bug report too.

I think it wants a minimum radial distance before agreeing to zoom away from a surface, probably something such as 1 Mm which many moons fail to exceed. That will be radial from the center as opposed to the altitude from the surface; for example, NN 3281 3 b is only 672 km radius and may need normal Supercruise for a few hundred kilometers, whereas 3 d is 1286 km radius and may allow Overcharge immediately—or the threshold is higher, such as with 6 a or 6 b.

It is such a time saver, and after playing ED for so long, time savers are very nice for me, depending on what I am doing I suppose, but it is nice to leave a planet a little faster, or get to a planet or moon faster. I want to convert over to them on all of my ships after I work my way back to the bubble.

Last night I hit two planets that already had first footfalls about 7500 LYs out so I may start making more carrier jumps back without exploring quite as much in between jumps.

But before those two planets I have discovered many systems and hundreds of planets and made many first footfalls. I imagine I'll make many more before I get back.

Do you like the SCO, or do you prefer to stick to the regular FSD?
It makes travel within a system fantastic, yes, liking the SCO.

FWIW, the inability to sco away from a body doesn't always happen, in fact it mostly works. I've logged a few moons where this happened to me, and so far they've all been under 0.10g. It appears that there is no problem leaving bodies with higher gravity, but this still needs some science and possibly a bug report too.

The same, the times it's a problem is rare compared to the times it just works so I haven't worried to much about figuring out why.

I'm really liking it on my carrier's explorawinder. Jump to a star, scan/refuel, boost away from the star for 2 or 3 seconds (all that's needed, heat doesn't get to danger levels), cut throttle to zero and start FSSing while still decelerating. Due to the distance from the star, no more bodies hidden behind it that I can't immediately scan.

Stats of some I've noted down:

Leesti 1A - earth masses 0.0005, radius 565, gravity 0.07
Deciat 6A - earth masses 0.0014, radius 788, gravity 0.09
Sol Iapetus - earth masses 0.0003, radius 735, gravity 0.02
Kaleo 15A - earth masses 0.0002, radius 508, gravity 0.03

Not sure if it's related to the mass, radius, gravity, or something else, but so far it's only happened on tiny bodies.

Stats of some I've noted down:

Leesti 1A - earth masses 0.0005, radius 565, gravity 0.07
Deciat 6A - earth masses 0.0014, radius 788, gravity 0.09
Sol Iapetus - earth masses 0.0003, radius 735, gravity 0.02
Kaleo 15A - earth masses 0.0002, radius 508, gravity 0.03

Not sure if it's related to the mass, radius, gravity, or something else, but so far it's only happened on tiny bodies.

You are also getting to the point there were the bodies aren't necessarily that close being spherical so it may also be calculating distance to center rather than surface to determine mass lock for SCO, lots of possibles.

Whatever the mechanic or reason is, I'd suspect this simply being a bug.
Yeah, else it wouldn't be this inconsistant. Maybe the devs should just remove the limitation altogether, especially if it only occurs on celestial bodies which should have less of an effect. That's just silly xD

Thank you kindly for gathering data on the issue! That should help a lot for a bug tracker ticket in making it easily reproducable :)

Well we can collect more data! :)

I'm not sure if it always occurs on a small body, but so far when it happens it's always been a small one.
Considering I’ve departed from nearly 2G worlds without issue, I’d say it’s probably not an effect which occurs at high mass planets…

… but the best spot to perform the high mass planet test on is probably that 45G one in KOI 1701. Not that I am out that way.

Considering I’ve departed from nearly 2G worlds without issue, I’d say it’s probably not an effect which occurs at high mass planets…

… but the best spot to perform the high mass planet test on is probably that 45G one in KOI 1701. Not that I am out that way.

And that's the good point that supports my earlier post, the larger the planet and the higher the gravity the more nearly spherical it will be, depending on what it's made of and it's rotations speed of course. That would be a good test actually, see if there is a difference between taking off from the poles and the equator on a rapidly spinning planet made of ice because there will be a significant difference in distance from the center at the two locations due to the rotation speed of the planet.

I like the new sco fsd but the continous "almost out of control" behavior is a bit too much for my taste. It doesn't add anything to the game but annoyance. 👀

What about if it's Tidally Locked? I've been mass locked getting out of Felicty's. Deciat 6 a is 788km, 0.9g and locked. There have been other engineers I've gotten mass locked from too, and that's where I (personally) usually notice when I can't OC out of the atmo and also when I come across Tidally Locked bodies the most (that I notice at least).

Top Bottom