Roller Coasters I.C.R: A duelling coaster inspired by astrophysics

Hello, all. This is a project that I'm experimenting with at the moment which is... unusual. To my knowledge nothing like this has ever been attempted in a coaster game before. I'm interested to hear what you think of it.

------------------------------------------------------------

I.C.R. - Inspiral, Coalescence, Ringdown

An experimental concept ride designed to evoke the process of two super-massive black holes merging into one.

This video shows the ride in an unfinished state to provide an external view of the coasters duelling. The completed ride will be fully enclosed and fully themed in a style similar to the science fiction aesthetic of my Surge wing coaster.

The ride is divided into 3 sections which represent the 3 stages of the life cycle of a binary black hole system: Inspiral, Coalescence and Ringdown.

In inspiral, black holes spiral towards each other in shrinking orbits with increasing speed. This is represented by the spiral tunnel section of the ride, in which the coaster trains spiral around each other, moving down the tunnel at increasing rate. The trains are synchronised by linear induction drive motors to create the impression of binary orbiting bodies in space.

In coalescence, the black holes fall into a plunging final approach where upon they meet and merge. This is represented by the opposing direction fly-pass tunnel section of the ride, in which the coaster trains follow plunging orbit trajectories and meet at the centre of the tunnel.

Immediately following merger, the now single black hole "rings", that is, vibrates from an elongated shape to a flattened shape. In ringdown, these oscillations are damped by the emission of gravitational waves. This is represented by the waves of decreasing amplitude followed by the coaster tracks in the final section of the ride.

Disclaimer: I am not an astrophysicist, and likely have no idea what I'm talking about. To learn more, consult someone reputable (or look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_black_hole).

Dedicated to Iain M Banks and his Culture series of novels - the name of the Morthanveld greatship "Inspiral, Coalescence, Ringdown" featured in "Matter" was the inspiration for this project.

------------------------------------------------------------

Preview Showcase + Onride Video:
https://youtu.be/fngMgRusC2k

Screenshots:
CccbZsk.png

lxP4wd8.png

xgk2uI7.png

7vTDWGe.png

How did you get the station launch to synch up like that?

Selecting "End Test" then "Initialise Test" for both coasters while the game is in pause, repeated for each video take I filmed (though the ride times are closely enough matched that they can run for a few circuits without falling too far out of sync). Unfortunately it won't function like that after the rides are open and accepting guests - I'm looking forward to a real synchronise stations function being added, as the coaster builder works quite well for duelling coasters.

Top Bottom