Game Discussions I can stop playing Final Fantasy 7 remake...

This years been good for ps plus. So got ff7, largely because of nostalgia for the original sure, was my first rpg.

First impression was wow, this game is super dumb, graphics aren't as good as horizons, there's no exploration, its so simple my toddler was looking at the map pointing with his little hand where to go. Bonus, he's getting into it. Presses triangle, and square to smash the boxes!

5 hours later... there's something about this game.. im sucked in with square eyes glued to the tv just like i was for the original, haven't experienced this in a long time. The really dumb maps have now clicked as a literal translation of the top down maps, and how they have you play around them is exactly like the original. I've 80% worked out the combat again, and the narrative.. wow, its perfect. Never gets to gamey and never too story, its awesome. The story is great as it was before.

Pretty good freebie.

The only criticism i have so far is that the voice actors for the main girls don't come close to the original "character", they fall short of doing them justice, i think anyway. The 3d representations are amazing though.. whoa tifa, that's what you look like.

Score: Remember getting sucked into the tv? FF7 did it again.

This years been good for ps plus. So got ff7, largely because of nostalgia for the original sure, was my first rpg.

First impression was wow, this game is super dumb, graphics aren't as good as horizons, there's no exploration, its so simple my toddler was looking at the map pointing with his little hand where to go. Bonus, he's getting into it. Presses triangle, and square to smash the boxes!

5 hours later... there's something about this game.. im sucked in with square eyes glued to the tv just like i was for the original, haven't experienced this in a long time. The really dumb maps have now clicked as a literal translation of the top down maps, and how they have you play around them is exactly like the original. I've 80% worked out the combat again, and the narrative.. wow, its perfect. Never gets to gamey and never too story, its awesome. The story is great as it was before.

Pretty good freebie.

The only criticism i have so far is that the voice actors for the main girls don't come close to the original "character", they fall short of doing them justice, i think anyway. The 3d representations are amazing though.. whoa tifa, that's what you look like.

Score: Remember getting sucked into the tv? FF7 did it again.
Is there any option to play with Japanese voices & English subtitles?

I’m hoping that one day it’ll reach PC, but if not I’ll probably borrow my nephew’s PS to play it. I never clicked with FF7 when it first came out, but I played the “Beacause” fan re-translation last year on a PS1 emulator and loved it. Nice to play in 60fps as well (I played the PAL version back in the 90s).

Is there any option to play with Japanese voices & English subtitles?

I’m hoping that one day it’ll reach PC, but if not I’ll probably borrow my nephew’s PS to play it. I never clicked with FF7 when it first came out, but I played the “Beacause” fan re-translation last year on a PS1 emulator and loved it. Nice to play in 60fps as well (I played the PAL version back in the 90s).

Not sure.. i think there is.. let me check.. Yep there is. Don't really want to try it though, its already over the top as it is.

The dialog is more modern action, less like the written game, but there's enough of it that you get over the one linerness pretty quickly.

I tried it played it for about two days to give it a fair chance but overall did not enjoy it. Loved the original on ps1 but I don't like the hack and slash of it. What I loved about FF games was the turn based combat. It made them different from a lot of other games. Now it's just like most games

Wasnt impressed with 15 either and actually beat that on the first day which for a FF is pathetic. I wish it gave the option for classic battle style. I would have loved it. The graphics are amazing though.

Last edited:
I tried it played it for about two days to give it a fair chance but overall did not enjoy it. Loved the original on ps1 but I don't like the hack and slash of it. What I loved about FF games was the turn based combat. It made them different from a lot of other games. Now it's just like most games

Wasnt impressed with 15 either and actually beat that on the first day which for a FF is pathetic. I wish it gave the option for classic battle style. I would have loved it. The graphics are amazing though.

Yeah im still trying to work out what the deal with the combat is. There's a trick to it im missing. The first fight that teaches / infuriates you is the reno fight.. hes obviously cheating... so i think its trying to teach you you have to block... maybe even only attack as a counter attack.. but then you get back to the trash fights, and they dont even telegraph when they're about to attack, they just insta damage you for very little health..

Yeah you're always low in health it seems, quite annoying because "thinking" just becomes catching up on healing... and all you have to do is assess the weakness and make sure you have some equipped.. The oldschool mode is really stupid too... though i haven't given up on learning whatever pattern it wants. I have a feeling once you find it it will make sense.

My only problem though is still the girls. They make you try and fall in love with aeris again, but its so forced. Not sure if its because i'm older, but i naturally fell in love with them when i was kid. No idea how that story arc is going to play out. They could have made them less generic anime female, could have helped. They were actually sweet in the text version, here they're dumb and cutesy.

Top Bottom