I Finally Made The Full Switch To Odyssey, and Its Good

Repetitive game loops/actions are an objective fact in ED, en masse. The perception of that is grind as subjective though. People who actually like or at least don't mind doing the same thing over and over again will certainly not perceive it as a grind.
Well, with 400 BILLION systems, repeating things is going to happen, innit?
Perhaps Frontier should have sent a "game over" notice to players once they had done one of every activity, instead?
Some games like the notorious asia grinders could not exist without those people.
I'm sure they couldn't, do they have spaceships and a huge galaxy?

So you are suggesting I'm trolling because I don't do 'grind' in any fashion, shame on you.

Players 'grind' because they choose, for whatever reason, to do things they dislike, usually excessively, because they believe they 'need' XXX, then complain afterwards how much fun it wasn't - and probably realised that they actually didn't benefit that greatly from their time 'suffering'.

ETA: Not that I'm not used to being called a troll - it seems pretty normal to use that title against someone who disagrees with one's point of view.
No, that was not directed at you.

Also, I didn't call anybody a troll.

I'm not into FPS combat, but enjoy walking around stations and planets. I also like collecting things. The new on foot activity I’m currently enjoying is “Concourse Shopping.” I always stop by the Pioneer Supply at each station I visit doing A to B trading or passenger runs. My goal is to collect a class 3 example of every weapon and suit. All I need now is a way to display my growing collection in my Fleet Carrier’s conference room.

I'm not into FPS combat, but enjoy walking around stations and planets. I also like collecting things. The new on foot activity I’m currently enjoying is “Concourse Shopping.” I always stop by the Pioneer Supply at each station I visit doing A to B trading or passenger runs. My goal is to collect a class 3 example of every weapon and suit. All I need now is a way to display my growing collection in my Fleet Carrier’s conference room.
A nice weapons rack (and maybe a suit one) would be a nice addition to the game, hover for stats and pick a custom loadout with ease.

I will confess to finding the FPS part of EDO to be great fun, not so challenging as to be frustrating, but enough that a mistake can hurt. But then, I'll visit military settlements with the intention of starting a fight... No, not Anarchy ones...

I’ve been playing pretty often (several times a week), for a few years. There are still some things I haven’t gotten around to doing.

For me, I enjoy the stealth action involved with Odyssey. I sometimes do ground conflicts, but more often, my on foot activities tend toward the cloak and dagger stuff, which I think was well done.

Between Doom, Quake, and other titles, I’ve had my share of FPS action so I’m not jonesing for more of that with Elite. The focus of my attention has always been mostly toward the space flight simulation because that is what Elite does best and what I enjoy most.

Going forward, I would be happy with “better”, not “more”. Meaning, better lighting, better framerates, stability, etc. If and when they add more content I really hope it involves base building and excavation, among other things, and I have plenty of suggestions on how that could work. But I’m good with what they have introduced to date…. please polish that further.

Last edited:
I don't grind because I choose not to. That leaves the bulletsponge still in the way of playing ED and thus I stopped playing altogether. It's not like mat collection is the only accumulation loot. Players need credits and rep to unlock ships. ED over time inflated the gates to access content massively - it's basically unlock simulator rather than space game.
"I" don't grind because I choose not to...<sound familiar>

After playing Odyssey for the last year, I still have neither upgraded or engineered any suit/weapon from when I purchased them.

I play High Ground CZs, sometimes in a Scorpion, sometimes in a ship, but mostly in a G3 suit with G3 weapons, as purchased from Pioneer Supplies.

I'm having fun, why should I ruin that with grind?

Personally, the Odyssey tutorial was enjoyable - the on-foot experience felt surprisingly cohesive and good. But the aliasing issues are excessive to a point that I can't continue to try playing until it's fixed, it directly interferes with my enjoyment.

"I" don't grind because I choose not to...<sound familiar>

After playing Odyssey for the last year, I still have neither upgraded or engineered any suit/weapon from when I purchased them.

I play High Ground CZs, sometimes in a Scorpion, sometimes in a ship, but mostly in a G3 suit with G3 weapons, as purchased from Pioneer Supplies.

I'm having fun, why should I ruin that with grind?
I played High CZ intenslty in Horizons. It was fun until they switched on the bullet sponge. After that it wasnt.

Got the new RTX3080 rig set up and am pleased to report I’m happily flying my spaceships using EDProfilers VR high settings in Odyssey, and it’s good.
Nice, I am only on a 12gig RTX 3060 so odyssey doesnt play well at all for me in VR. Looking forward to getting a 3080+ or odyssey being fixed.
My guess is me getting a 3080+ first :)

I heard it's just another grindloop so I didn't bother. I thought it might be a way to get back into the game without having to engineer ships, but since it's just more of that same crap I'm not investing any time into it.
Odyssey content is really engineering not required.
I bought a new CMDR in the Steam summer sale and vowed not to do any ship engineering or suit/weapon engineering. I would buy from Pioneer Supplies, tech traders or the simple upgrades offered by Pioneer supplies. I would therefore have self imposed limits.
My new CMDR is running around in a Cobra Mk3, with at best A rated modules.
My CMDR has a G3 Maverick suit with with night vision which I bought as a G2 and a couple of G3 weapons.
With what I have it is enough to play Odyssey. I have done little material farming, just enough to get that extra G initially for the suit upgrade, and a bit more working towards G5, but not in a hurry to upgrade yet, as G3 is good enough.

I spent a bit of time farming ship mats, so if I want to buy and upgrade to a Krait etc, I can buy a class 5 pre-engineered FSD. Again, no hurry.

I could have totally avoided gathering materials and saved a couple of hours of gameplay, but since I do not do much gathering, it was a change from doing other stuff.

So, the grind loop is optional for Odyssey. If you already have lots of engineered ships, no more is required. Just buy some G3 suits and weapons and get playing.

Steve 07.

Whilst I agree that it's unnecessary to 'grind' to enjoy ED and Odyssey there are parts of the game, specifically engineering (but you could also cite AX gear and guardians or rank unlock) that does require focused gameplay and repetitive loops or 'grind'.

I'll use the Odyssey engineer unlocks as an example. SDFs are required to unlock one of the engineers. They are extremely rare and in 4+ months of playing Odyssey I've not found one during my on foot wanderings. I understand from reading these forums and other sources that to find them you need certain conditions to be present, type of settlement, specific security level of settlement, data terminal in the right building etc

Then you still have RNG as to whether they will actually appear at all even if those conditions are met, then if you want to gather the required number you would need to repeat the process quite a number of times...'grind'

Now you could argue that you don't 'need' to unlock that particular engineer. The engineers are part of the game but we're not supposed to unlock them because the process is too onerous? And the SDFs are just one example, the same is true of finding opinion polls, or a number of other unlock mats.

If I want to unlock those engineers (and at some point I do) I will have to dedicate quite some time to grinding those SDFs, Smear campaigns, Opinion polls etc.

I don't understand FDs insistence on gating content, in this case Odyssey engineers, behind a hunt for extremely rare materials that only appear in very specific circumstances. I know FD want us to keep playing but there have to be better ways to achieve this. There should be a much wider variety of ways to find every material so the rarity may still be high but the methods of attaining them would give us more options.

We had this issue, and arguably still do to some extent, with ship engineers until FD created the material traders. They seem to have taken a backward step on this. Yes, we have bartenders but without 3rd party tools (that's a whole other issue), a boatload of luck and good timing I'd say finding them via bartenders is even more of a crapshoot.

Now you could argue that you don't 'need' to unlock that particular engineer. The engineers are part of the game but we're not supposed to unlock them because the process is too onerous?
Indeed, the engineers are part of the game, and those pesky EDO ones do have some rare ones to unlock them, it is true.

It just depends on if the content EDO provides is fun gameplay to the individual. In my case (and the small group I play with) there is plenty of fun content to be had, legal(ish) missions provide plenty of opportunity, going in to massacre the inhabitants of a settlement (but not anarchy - that's easy mode) and cleaning it out is great fun, yeah, I get bounties and notoriety, but it doesn't really affect play, but I've probably found most of the 'rares' in doing just that.

I'll get the rest of the bubble EDO engineers unlocked sooner or later, naturally have all of the Colonia ones done - just because there is where I spend more play time.

I guess it could be called 'grind' by those needing engineering rapidly, but just playing doing the things that entertain me isn't, is it? (I'm in no rush to 'get em all', sooner or later)

Now you could argue that you don't 'need' to unlock that particular engineer. The engineers are part of the game but we're not supposed to unlock them because the process is too onerous? And the SDFs are just one example, the same is true of finding opinion polls, or a number of other unlock mats.

If I want to unlock those engineers (and at some point I do) I will have to dedicate quite some time to grinding those SDFs, Smear campaigns, Opinion polls etc.
With the exception of one mod (headshot damage), 7 of the Odyssey bubble engineers give you the rest of the mods, so settlement defence plans (SDPs) can be ignored in the short and medium term. They are not worth wasting energy and time over. Enjoy the now.

If you really want headshot damage, find a weapon with it already one and upgrade that. Or go to Colonia and do your engineering there.

Steve 07.

Odyssey content is really engineering not required.
I bought a new CMDR in the Steam summer sale and vowed not to do any ship engineering or suit/weapon engineering. I would buy from Pioneer Supplies, tech traders or the simple upgrades offered by Pioneer supplies. I would therefore have self imposed limits.
My new CMDR is running around in a Cobra Mk3, with at best A rated modules.
My CMDR has a G3 Maverick suit with with night vision which I bought as a G2 and a couple of G3 weapons.
With what I have it is enough to play Odyssey. I have done little material farming, just enough to get that extra G initially for the suit upgrade, and a bit more working towards G5, but not in a hurry to upgrade yet, as G3 is good enough.

I spent a bit of time farming ship mats, so if I want to buy and upgrade to a Krait etc, I can buy a class 5 pre-engineered FSD. Again, no hurry.

I could have totally avoided gathering materials and saved a couple of hours of gameplay, but since I do not do much gathering, it was a change from doing other stuff.

So, the grind loop is optional for Odyssey. If you already have lots of engineered ships, no more is required. Just buy some G3 suits and weapons and get playing.

Steve 07.
I concur with this.

AS I've said many (probably too many) times before, I've been playing Odyssey nearly exclusively since launch. All of my gear is G2/G3 as purchased (nothing upgraded or engineered). Last night I won 4 High Intensity ground conflict zones in a row. My record is here:

Round 1: Did not die
Round 2: Died twice
Round 3 Died 3 times at which I got to watch the progress graph while the last 5 troops on our side barely beat the last 3 troops on their side. It was a little bit dicey.
Round 4: Did not die

Also, after the end of one of the rounds I helped the winners take down a vulture using my G3 rocket launcher. The explosion was grand...100 ft or so off the ground...

The game should be challenging. That's what makes it fun for me...that's how I play it...

I don't understand FDs insistence on gating content, in this case Odyssey engineers, behind a hunt for extremely rare materials that only appear in very specific circumstances. I know FD want us to keep playing but there have to be better ways to achieve this. There should be a much wider variety of ways to find every material so the rarity may still be high but the methods of attaining them would give us more options.

Isn't that what games are, additional content based on progression?

IMO, this game was designed with the intent of players playing the long game, so to speak, a slow burn if you will, where little bits of progress are made in many things all the time. It wasn't, again IMO, designed to have players focus on any individual thing for any extended period of time to burn through repeatedly ad nauseum...excepting maybe the combat...

Now I do recognize that players can play the game any way they like, but choosing to grind and then complaining about the grind, IMO, is not necessarily a problem with the game, while recognizing that the game COULD be changed to accommodate the players wishes if FDev decides to, which might not align with their vision of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom