Horizons I have had enough!

It's with great regret that I have decided to leave Elite after 30 years playing versions of the game.
I came back after 2 months playing the new versions from the start, to see that this latest update is a total waste of time.
After accumulating 86 million credits over the last year and a half, only to lose most of it to the new AI killing me so many times, its just not fun to play any more.
You get jumped on for trading, missions, mining & bounty hunting.
What's the point if you can't even leave a station without being killed or paying for extensive damages.
I'm not a bad player, as I said I have played the very first Elite and all versions since, but the last week has been nothing more then waste of time and I won't be upgrading again.

It's with great regret that I have decided to leave Elite after 30 years playing versions of the game.
I came back after 2 months playing the new versions from the start, to see that this latest update is a total waste of time.
After accumulating 86 million credits over the last year and a half, only to lose most of it to the new AI killing me so many times, its just not fun to play any more.
What's the point if you can't even leave a station without being killed or paying for extensive damages.
I'm not a bad player, as I said I have played the very first Elite and all versions since, but the last week has been nothing more then waste of time and I won't be upgrading again.

Sorry to hear that.

Are you aware of the MAJOR change in AI activity (Bounty Hunters) if you have a bounty on your head in ANY system? If not, then you should read my post in another thread about that specific issue and what you can do to reduce your exposure.

Currently the last post on page 3:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...tion-Who-is-right/page3?p=4112787#post4112787

The AI is no way near that bad.
If you just fly safe , use your pips and stay in the blue zone you will be fine.
No longer can you play in a passive way you have to interact , adapt and find the best way to win a fight.
The AI used to be broken , they fixed it.

Interdictions? been part of the franchise for a while , and if you read the elite fiction traders have a horrible life full of danger and a very , very short life.
However if you play it well , pick the right routes and outfit your ship right there will be no issues

Dont speed? speeding is a crime. and the price for fixing damage is still very low , same as the rebuy.

First version of elite? as in the origina? or the first version of elite dangerous when the AI was buged and could not fight a static target?
I belive you when you say you are not a bad player , but you need to adapt. just leaving because they fixed the AI and made it intresting is silly.

The new AI is on the level of ''normal'' from games like Xwing alliance , you can kill an elite anaconda in a sidewinder (stock)

The majority of people are exactly that, "people", they are no pro skill pilots, some of them have a certain age, and most of them simply don't have the time to invest themselves.

What we usually don't want:
Knowing that, we can understand how painful the new update is for them, the new AI came instantly without a learning curve, Interdiction all the time if you have even 1 commodity on your ship (how do they know by the way ? players can't.), the RNG gathering for Engineers, the RNG result right after is a huge insult to our time and dedication.

What we usually want:
People want stability, a true learning curve for AI, interdictions should be the same regarding the fact that you have commodities or not (because players can't know if a ship have any commodity), a way to make it skill based to find materials for engineers, a sturdy result after so many time invested as a reward.

Last edited:

I agree they shouldn't be forcing all the elite npc's on us constantly. The game sure isn't fun anymore. I wont be upgrading again either. I wish I could roll it back to before engineer's.

The majority of people are exactly that, "people", they are no pro skill pilots, some of them have a certain age, and most of them simply don't have the time to invest themselves.

What we usually don't want:
Knowing that, we can understand how painful the new update is for them, the new AI came instantly without a learning curve, Interdiction all the time if you have even 1 commodity on your ship (how do they know by the way ? players can't.), the RNG gathering for Engineers, the RNG result right after is a huge insult to our time and dedication.

What we usually want:
People want stability, a true learning curve for AI, interdictions should be the same regarding the fact that you have commodities or not (because players can't know if a ship have any commodity), a way to make it skill based to find materials for engineers, a sturdy result after so many time investment as a reward.

RNG is to prevent having ''the one true build''
The old AI does not count , it was a bug. so there was no change , just a fix

RNG is to prevent having ''the one true build''
The old AI does not count , it was a bug. so there was no change , just a fix

First it doesn't work, because someone who wants "the one true build" will still have it no matter what if he has time and dedication to keep grinding and gambling.
Second "the one true build" doesn't exist anymore, experimentals weapons are exactly made against them, there's one experimental (or more) for any "one true build" you could ever think of.

So in the end, we have a unstable, frustrating and unnecessary RNG upgrade which by the way completely kills any kind of customization a player would want.

First it doesn't work, because someone who wants "the one true build" will still have it no matter what if he has time and dedication to keep grinding and gambling.
Second "the one true build" doesn't exist anymore, experimentals weapons are exactly made against them, there's one experimental (or more) for any "one true build" you could ever think of.

So in the end, we have a unstable, frustrating and unnecessary RNG upgrade which by the way completely kills any kind of customization a player would want.

I like it , it gives me the impresion I am getting my ship upgraded by some crazy engineer.
Every ship as a resault is unique , and the stats you can get are clear anyway

I like it , it gives me the impresion I am getting my ship upgraded by some crazy engineer.
Every ship as a resault is unique , and the stats you can get are clear anyway

every upgrade is not unique, it's random, there's a difference. there's like 3 to 15 different variation of an upgrade depending which one, but there is nothing unique.

The only unique thing in the process is that you don't get to choose which variation you will get that's it.

every upgrade is not unique, it's random, there's a difference. there's like 3 to 15 different variation of an upgrade depending which one, but there is nothing unique.

The only unique thing in the process is that you don't get to choose which variation you will get that's it.
My upgrades wont be the same as yours , so that makes them unique.

And they are not full random as there is a much , much higher chance to have positive effects and there is a cap on the negative ones.
Its a good system and fits into the lore of the engineers that keep on trying new things and will risk something just to see if it works

And they are not full random as there is a much , much higher chance to have positive effects and there is a cap on the negative ones.
Its a good system and fits into the lore of the engineers that keep on trying new things and will risk something just to see if it works

I'm really happy for you that you like it. I wish i could be happy about it too, maybe one day ?

Last edited:

And that 3% thruster difference certainly is an enticing unique upgrade, isn't it? That extra 7 m/s bit of speed must make all the difference...

Its a good system and fits into the lore of the engineers

It seems you can justify any badly-designed thing in the game, if you just "lore" as your reason.

And that 3% thruster difference certainly is an enticing unique upgrade, isn't it? That extra 7 m/s bit of speed must make all the difference...

It seems you can justify any badly-designed thing in the game, if you just "lore" as your reason.
Gameplay is the arms and legs of elite , lore is its heart and soul.

Some of the upgrades offer way more than 3%
If Elite went down the same route as other lesser games like say WOW were there is one weapon to rule them all everyone would be after that specific one and everyone would end up with that one.
I dont like everything the engineers do , such as the specials but FD will change how that works so its fine.

Game design is not a science , so nothing can be objectively bad (its art)

To be fair my ship is very different to how it was before , I only use rank 2 upgrades but they do the job well

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I'm really happy for you that you like it. I wish i could be happy about it too, maybe one day ?
I hope that they do something to it that makes everyone happy

Last edited:
Gameplay is the arms and legs of elite , lore is its heart and soul.

I once had a co-worker who immensely enjoyed Star Trek and Babylon5. When he learned I also watched them, he'd stop by my office every Monday for a long chat on the weekend's episodes. At first, it was just like any other conversation about a TV show. But after awhile, I started to wonder if he realized it was a fictional television program.

Game design is not a science , so nothing can be objectively bad (its art)

As a professional artist, I can tell you that there is certainly such a thing as bad art and bad design. That's why some people are heavily recruited for their art and design skills, while others work in fastfood and wonder why no one appreciates their brilliance.

I once had a co-worker who immensely enjoyed Star Trek and Babylon5. When he learned I also watched them, he'd stop by my office every Monday for a long chat on the weekend's episodes. At first, it was just like any other conversation about a TV show. But after awhile, I started to wonder if he realized it was a fictional television program.

As a professional artist, I can tell you that there is certainly such a thing as bad art and bad design. That's why some people are heavily recruited for their art and design skills, while others work in fastfood and wonder why no one appreciates their brilliance.
The guy was just the core audiance of the show. learning about lore is a good thing.

I like how they did engineers , and so do other users. so its not objectively bad.
Ignoring lore , just makes no sens to me , may as well watch random colours move on screen with no context

I would have said Battlecruiser milleniumis objectively bad , but it has its fan-base making it not the case. even if its not a gem.

The guy was just the core audiance of the show. learning about lore is a good thing.

You're missing my point entirely.

Frontier's Designer creates the features. The features are not created by Lore.

The mechanics of gameplay are done in a quantifiable way... a designer thinks about them, plans them, and codes them in the way he sees fit. If Designer some day decides, "You know what's cool? Stations that blow you up for no reason at random times 3 times a week." - then all you have to do to justify it is say "Well, that's Lore. It happened in The Dark Wheel p7, page 234."

It would still be a stupid idea.

Back
Top Bottom