Horizons I have to ask...

Lately, I've seen people talking about some sort of ancient ruins or artifacts or some such on a planet out in the boonies. I have to wonder how people are FINDING these things.

I mean, I've been exploring a long time now, been to and on hundreds of worlds, and I've never seen ANYTHING of any note. I went to see the barnacles in Pleiades, but I already knew where they would be (and even then finding them on the planet was a HUGE chore).

So, I have to ask... how are people finding these things? Is there some sort of scan information that leads to them? Is there something I should be looking for?

Lately, I've seen people talking about some sort of ancient ruins or artifacts or some such on a planet out in the boonies. I have to wonder how people are FINDING these things.

I mean, I've been exploring a long time now, been to and on hundreds of worlds, and I've never seen ANYTHING of any note. I went to see the barnacles in Pleiades, but I already knew where they would be (and even then finding them on the planet was a HUGE chore).

So, I have to ask... how are people finding these things? Is there some sort of scan information that leads to them? Is there something I should be looking for?

The alien ruins were given away by FDEV during the promotional video, a player matched the star patterns and nebula and searched the worlds in the area corresponding to that pattern and there it was. Ok it was an epic achievement by that commander but it wasn't good story telling in my opinion.

Geological features will show up as being present from a DSS (Detailed Surface Scan) but not location, it's a matter of flying down and being lucky, there may only be a few gepological features per planet so it's a whole LOT of luck. Check the geyser and fumarole search thread in the exploration subforum. We need more search tools, that much is obvious.

Last edited:
the second crashed alien hip was found by accident ... as was jaques ... and several barnacles location.

probability is low, but it might happen to everybody (cruising over planet surfaces).

'Given away'!! LOL

Yeah, I know you gave credit later...but your choice of words made me laugh!

I said given away because I expect this wasn't the method FDEV was planning to use to guide us to the ancient archaeology site, and they have said as much, they gave away the location by including to much information in the promotional video. Why you should laugh at that strikes me a bit funny myself, it wasn't intended as funny at all and was an exact recounting of what happened.

Top Bottom