I may have set a record in Elite Dangerous today.....

...by crashing my Type 7 a few minutes after I bought it.

Turned out I had forgotten to get the docking assist module. I was able to take off from a station but landing was an entirely different matter. Even though the station was rotating, I was able to get in without bouncing off too many things. I was able to find the landing pad but from that point, things got out of control.

I wasn’t able to lower the ship to the pad. Then I ran out of time, so I figure it’s time to leave. Now, I’m trespassing so I’m trying to get out as fast as I can. As I approach the exit, I can see I’m too low as will hit the bottom of the exit. Just before that happens, I was fired on and the ship exploded.

Got sent to a detention center. I had my Sidewinder transferred there so I could swap the docking module. So all ended up well. Thankfully I listened when you guys said “Don’t fly without rebuy!” 850 k made me whole again.

How do you lower a ship to the landing pad? Is there thruster control?
Unfortunately I have to be "that guy" in this thread. OP you need to learn how to manually dock while your still in the small cheap ships. I'm not one of those "never use a docking computer" elitists but there are times when it will be necessary to use that skill.

One thing that isn't explained in game is that not all of the controls are keybound by default. For instance you can bind vertical and horizontal thrusters to their own keys or use a modifier to access them (ex: holding one of the shoulder buttons plus pressing the D pad).

There's also another set of keybindings you might want to look into called landing gear override. Basically what this does is when your landing gear is deployed your controll layout will temporarily change until you retract them again. For Example normally pressing on the D pad cycles your power pips but if you map it you can have the landing gear override switch those buttons over to using your horizontal thrusters to help you allign with the center of the landing pad. These are just examples though. You'll have to experiment alot to get some bindings you like.

Turned out I had forgotten to get the docking assist module. I was able to take off from a station but landing was an entirely different matter. Even though the station was rotating, I was able to get in without bouncing off too many things. I was able to find the landing pad but from that point, things got out of control.

I wasn’t able to lower the ship to the pad. Then I ran out of time, so I figure it’s time to leave. Now, I’m trespassing so I’m trying to get out as fast as I can. As I approach the exit, I can see I’m too low as will hit the bottom of the exit. Just before that happens, I was fired on and the ship exploded.

Got sent to a detention center. I had my Sidewinder transferred there so I could swap the docking module. So all ended up well. Thankfully I listened when you guys said “Don’t fly without rebuy!” 850 k made me whole again.

if it makes you feel any better when I first started playing I rushed to get a Conda ASAP had no money for upgrades or a rebuy and smashed it into the back of the station when i boosted by mistake :eek: lesson learned ..luckily you listened to other players who warned not to fly without rebuy! right it off as human error and onwards my friend;)

On the xbox controler, the left joystick controls the up and down movement when not in supercruise. Try to leave the station, get out of its no fire zone. Then play with the sticks until you get the hang of it. Also, when I'm not using the docking computer, I try to land as if I was flying an airplane simulator, slowly swooping down to the landing pad.
Hope that helps.

We all have lapses cmdr, im currently 20weeks in the game and last night accidentally boosted my 900ms speed ieagle into the back wall of the station instead of dropping my landing gear. No shields= instant rebuy. 🤦‍♂️
Don't we just. :)
I keep finding that I have left my throttle set to full welly when I've pressed Auto Launch. Straight into the barriers.
I learned to land by watching NPCs. At that time it was, nose to the pad and pitch up when you're just about to touch the pad.
It really pays to learn how to fly without the autopilot. Last night I limped home with 1% hull, limited cockpit screen, no autopilot and air running out. I had my towel and I did not panic and felt very smug when I landed. :D

Unfortunately I have to be "that guy" in this thread. OP you need to learn how to manually dock while your still in the small cheap ships. I'm not one of those "never use a docking computer" elitists but there are times when it will be necessary to use that skill.

One thing that isn't explained in game is that not all of the controls are keybound by default. For instance you can bind vertical and horizontal thrusters to their own keys or use a modifier to access them (ex: holding one of the shoulder buttons plus pressing the D pad).

There's also another set of keybindings you might want to look into called landing gear override. Basically what this does is when your landing gear is deployed your controll layout will temporarily change until you retract them again. For Example normally pressing on the D pad cycles your power pips but if you map it you can have the landing gear override switch those buttons over to using your horizontal thrusters to help you allign with the center of the landing pad. These are just examples though. You'll have to experiment alot to get some bindings you like.
A thread in a forum is not complete until “that guy” shows up. (y)
Thanks.

A thread in a forum is not complete until “that guy” shows up. (y)
Thanks.
Anytime man. o7

Seriously though I'm just blunt. The way I look at it is if someone doesn't tell you straight and you keep on doing it then it's a far greater Injustice than all of the sweet sugar coated words that don't say anything.

well i just lost a type 9 without rebuy because i couldnt leave the bay due to some dumbshit who got atuck in the exit with a type 7. in the middle. his incapability cost me a ship.

Ah, these whippersnappers and their free starting docking/takeoff computer XD

I remember my first attempt at ED I blew up my very first sidewinder on the pad the first time I attempted a launch, as I did not know all the bindings.

well i just lost a type 9 without rebuy because i couldnt leave the bay due to some dumbshit who got atuck in the exit with a type 7. in the middle. his incapability cost me a ship.
1. Hit the "Don't Panic" button written in friendly letters.
2. Press escape and log out to menu.
3. When you log back in you are outside the station.

Top Bottom