I was going to avoid mining because everyone else is doing it..

I suspect broken. Demand regeneration rate for LTDs seems to be infinite, rather than the ~1-2%/day that most core gems have. I'm fairly sure that's not intentional, but who knows...

So that means that the only thing which affects prices for LTDs is the BGS state, which for reasonably good prices (~1 million) can be stable for 7 days. The really good prices (>=1.6 million) need an extra state which lasts only 2 days and then can't recur for another 20-25ish (and more usually will be rarer than that) - and for that state to overlap with the 7 day state. So those top prices are much more volatile. But with the demand bug 1 million is common enough to look stable if you move on every few days.
Agreed, but that's what I want to believe (which is always suspicious). However, thinking in typical conspiracy theory patterns is telling me, that controlling prices in very few selected places to create artificial CG-like hotspots would also make a lot of sense. Especially in the current situation where everyone and his dog is moaning about the high entry prices of FCs. And last not least to also offer some tasty fish swarms for our dear piracy sharks. Experience tells me that the devs don't shy to use band-aids wherever necessary and no easy fix in sight, even at the expense of cheating the system.
I'm pretty sure that's not intended because all other commodities had been nerfed. So better prepared to grind until the next patch hits.

rule number two, is let the commodities come to you .. Trying to mine quickly can be frustrating, less haste really is more speed. So, Zen Commander.
This was my mistake. I was impatient and started prospecting multiple rocks, which caused my limpets to get confused and wink out of existence.

Agreed, but that's what I want to believe (which is always suspicious). However, thinking in typical conspiracy theory patterns is telling me, that controlling prices in very few selected places to create artificial CG-like hotspots would also make a lot of sense. Especially in the current situation where everyone and his dog is moaning about the high entry prices of FCs. And last not least to also offer some tasty fish swarms for our dear piracy sharks. Experience tells me that the devs don't shy to use band-aids wherever necessary and no easy fix in sight, even at the expense of cheating the system.
Well, if that was the case enough data is collected and recorded to find one of these as evidence of it:
- a LTD sale point where the price is considerably above that the BGS states would normally imply
- a LTD sale point where the Expansion state has lasted more than 7 ticks or the Public Holiday state more than 2 ticks

However, given what causes Expansion and what seems to cause Public Holiday, there's no need for a specific conspiracy - there are 4000 refinery systems and the odds of the states showing up together given the right inputs are about 1/30 on any particular day, so there only needs to be about 1/100 systems getting the right inputs for the whole thing to happen solely through the operation of the (Frontier-chosen) BGS rules with no extra fingers on the scale required. Much easier and doesn't make the professionally nervous BGS players suspicious.

(It's quite possible that they've decided not to fix the regeneration bug on LTDs for now to avoid complaints, however)

This was my mistake. I was impatient and started prospecting multiple rocks, which caused my limpets to get confused and wink out of existence.

You can certainly do that once you're extracted everything and let the collectors clean up .. but it's probably quicker to position your cargo hatch over the fragments so there's as little lateral travel for your limpets as possible. You lose fewer limpets that way too.

Core mining (I do in a shieldless Chieftain) I've taken to detonating at 2km then fast as possible get into a position where I can see right through the broken asteroid (night vision on in all conditions). Then as the big chunks of the rock start to rotate the surface deposits open up like a flower and you can pick off with abrasion blaster as they appear. You can usually get all but a couple of them without maneuvering your ship at all.

For collection I drift my (medium) ship through the gap I could see through (using abrasion blaster to push the worthless left overs out of my way, because no shields) at about 3 m/s. By the time you're out the other side just about everything will have been collected up.

Last edited:
As a small ship miner (preferably Cobra Mk4) I have always wondered how core mining works in a large ship. Especially when it comes to using the abrasion blaster, do you skip this part or do you actually dance around the asteroid debris with your Vette?
It's not a trick question, I honestly never tried that (and it's hard to imagine how it would even work). But of course this gives me some ideas now what an FC could do for me. Maybe FCs are not so terribly useless after all (looks like I'm corrupting myself right now)...

💡
"As a small ship miner (preferably Cobra Mk4)"

also love the C4 as the ultimate small miner (y):D

Well that was fun for about 40 minutes... I now consider it a GOOD thing that I'm disappointed in Fleet Carriers, because I really don't have the stamina to grind for one.

My mining frequency was never what I'd call grinding except the first few days I found the infamous double Painite hotspot (before the market correction). After that, I would only mine a few hours a week. But, from the time FCs were announced until last week I made ~7 billion. I'm pretty much done with regular mining operations since I enjoy other activities equally and money is not a problem atm. I really do enjoy mining like many others because it can be relaxing and profitable. Since the livestream I'm a bit disappointed in FCs so I'm off to do the other things I like to do in this marvelous galaxy.

GL HF Miners

What I don't get is where anyone is selling them - if you find the right port you can get more than 1m a ton but I've not seen anything near that for a while and certainly not since the recent rush. Possible I'm just dreadful at using the internal and external tools but I'd count it good to get half that at the moment. Still not exactly a bad profit as such but beyond a certain point standard mission running or some other sort of mining might be more profitable.
You need to use EDDB. This is today's high sale price and it's been hovering around this mark for ages. Sometimes it drops down as low as 1.1M.

LTD.jpg

My mining frequency was never what I'd call grinding except the first few days I found the infamous double Painite hotspot (before the market correction). After that, I would only mine a few hours a week. But, from the time FCs were announced until last week I made ~7 billion. I'm pretty much done with regular mining operations since I enjoy other activities equally and money is not a problem atm. I really do enjoy mining like many others because it can be relaxing and profitable. Since the livestream I'm a bit disappointed in FCs so I'm off to do the other things I like to do in this marvelous galaxy.

GL HF Miners
I do enjoy the process of mining (visually stunning in VR) on occasion, usually for ONE cargo hold worth, and then I'm satiated for awhile. So perhaps between now and New Era I can still get my credits without grinding. Laser mining also is my favorite way of topping materials!

As a small ship miner (preferably Cobra Mk4) I have always wondered how core mining works in a large ship. Especially when it comes to using the abrasion blaster, do you skip this part or do you actually dance around the asteroid debris with your Vette?
It's not a trick question, I honestly never tried that (and it's hard to imagine how it would even work). But of course this gives me some ideas now what an FC could do for me. Maybe FCs are not so terribly useless after all (looks like I'm corrupting myself right now)...

💡

Yes. The deceiving part turns out to the broken scale in non vr elite. I've only very rarely bumped into an asteroid in a large ship. What looks like a close distance drawn on normal displays actually relatively a long way away.. and this applies all around you apparently. Only recently, someone suggested that the limpets work much faster the closer to the asteroid you are.. this doesn't make much sense as the limpets enthusiastically zip back and forth though your hull.. but its always surprising how much further you have to go in before you actually kiss the asteroid. Try it. Yes definitely no problems with the abrasion blaster. Its a bit exciting for deep core but i can imagine you'd worry about hitting something in any ship going around that fast?

So if anything new data for you is the scale is defective for judging distances when you're in an asteroid field. The distance is much greater than it looks.

I'd guess most miners use third party tools like Inara or miner's tool (if they function again in the meantime). Personally I don't and thus refrain from maximising my profit. My approach is to start with looking for a decent selling place at first, and then I look for a mining spot nearby. As a small ship miner I depend on short transport routes to stay halfway profitable and finding core mining hotspots is trivial an adds a little exploration to the mining business.

By the way, one of the reasons why I stay away from third party tools is that this shouldn't work for too long due to the latest update, because prices should dramatically drop if many miners sell at the same station. I suspect that something is either broken or deliberately controlled by the devs so that they can create some kind of artificial CG - something I don't like at all and why I don't do that (but pirates do for sure! 😜). Fortunately I know envy only from theory and don't mind if others are better. And then I'm not really keen on owning an FC either. I always prefer the way with the highest fun factor when in doubt, profit is secondary...

You might still want to use third party tools, but not in that way. The best sell locations are made up of multiple active minor faction states, and the galaxy map lets you only show one at a time, its near impossible to find the highest in theory in game. You don't have to cheat, but you need third party tools to play well. They very kindly changed the search field for minor faction state to allow multiple states when they added the dark mode so you can do this now.

I felt the same way. I tried core mining last year and really hated it. Once LTDs became a thing and laser mining works just as well, I gave into the "gold rush panic" and tried it for myself last night. I enjoy the T10 for this activity. 256t seems more than enough for 1 session. I added 175 limpets but still ran out after filling my hold with 170 LTDs. There's some kind of trick to keep the limpets alive. Sometimes I mined several asteroids with 1 set (9 limpets) and sometimes they died like flies. I still have a lot to learn, but I appreciate the new gamplay added to my list of fun things to do.

My big question is: How to find the best selling system?

What was it? Civil liberty + Investment + Pirate Attack? I started doing this myself but there's more to it, and i didn't have the interest at the time so just went back to cheating. Try those for specific station economies maybe.

EDIT: I just wrote up what to do, but there seems to be too many people looking for the best sell prices, and i haven't tested the demand bug myself to be that obvious about it. From all the information in this thread, there's enough clues to pull up a shortlist of about 20 stations on eddb.io that have good selling prices. Its not that hard :)

Last edited:
Well that was fun for about 40 minutes... I now consider it a GOOD thing that I'm disappointed in Fleet Carriers, because I really don't have the stamina to grind for one.

I know i was mouthing off earlier but im pretty excited about getting one. Cartographics or no. Can't wait. I'll just keep quiet now.. maybe ;)

What was it? Civil liberty + Investment + Pirate Attack? I started doing this myself but there's more to it, and i didn't have the interest at the time so just went back to cheating. Try those for specific station economies maybe.
It's Civil Liberty, Investment, Pirate attack, and sell at Tourism, Industrial, High Tech or Refinery (Oh, and make sure demand is good).

Careful with this knowledge, people will claim you're some hardcore champion of the Elite Dangerous universe, rising from all the burning ashes of noobs who don't know this, because it's such a raw display of gamer prowess...

I sold at Robigo at 1.5m yesterday. made myself two T6, one miner/refinery one longrange hauler. Worked wonderfully. getting About 80t of LTD in About 80 minutes. the 1000LJ -flight to Robigo and back needed some 20-30 minutes in Addition.

thinking About switching into 2 ASP Xs, for faster mining process. Will see.

Just gave it a quick go and, wow. The hit rate is insane.

With a happy fun rp approach i scored about 100 diamonds an hour which im happy with (does that actually beat robigo passengers?). Rushing it to do win the race would easily make it unenjoyable. Also i really doubt all the screenshots you see are from one hour, those 800 million trades have to be from 4-6 hours of non stop mining.

Anyways, that was better than expected. You can turn off system chat too which is nice, there's just people talking about how many rocks they have, over and over.

I left the corvette parked there for another session.. so ~200 million from 2 sessions is very acceptable. You get to choose which asteroid to fly to next, and what way you want the lighting to look from the direction you fly which is something better than passengers i guess. Good to have choice.

Yeah definitely removing the core mining kit next time and lose the scoop for few more limpets.

Where are you doing this? I'm averaging about 75 LTDs every hour.

I'm aware of the huge difference in scale between VR and flatscreen. But If I get what you are saying right, doesn't this suggest the proportions are also different (when you talk about "broken scale in non VR")? That would be a serious bug as it certainly would also affect hitboxes in combat and would give VR users a decisive advantage over flatscreeners. I wouldn't be surprised if these thoughts were already discussed somewhere. I'm very interested in learning about some facts around these questions...

My guess at the main fault is the lack of depth of field thats natural to human eyesight. eg if you use the external view on a cutter from one end, if the lore dimensions are to be believed the rear of the ship is distant enough to blur a bit at 200m away. But it doesnt, it looks like a kids toy right in front of you. The minimum locked fov being greater than realistic for humans doesn't help either. Oh yes and the insane speed of motion from instant doesn't help either. The common speeds start at out of the range of common experience.

I doubt you are in the position to tell me how I should play the game. For that to make sense you would need to know me better, for instance would you have to realize and accept that I don't feel competitive nor do I want to. However, I'm interested in these questions even if they only affect other players. In the first place I'm concerned about the coherency of the game and that it will survive the next few years, that's it.

lol. you are so hard. the joy comes from learning the bgs rules and the abilities you get from knowing them. the application of selling mining rocks is secondary and just the fruits of labor.

Where are you doing this? I'm averaging about 75 LTDs every hour.

I guess by faster mining and collecting: more lasers/more collectors. With my slow T6 I get about 1to per Minute. I guess I could double this by using better Equipment (and thus thinking About the ASP X)

I doubt you are in the position to tell me how I should play the game. For that to make sense you would need to know me better, for instance would you have to realize and accept that I don't feel competitive nor do I want to. However, I'm interested in these questions even if they only affect other players. In the first place I'm concerned about the coherency of the game and that it will survive the next few years, that's it.
For what it's worth, since Borann is just two easy jumps away from my usual hangout, I decided to go out and just "sample the local cuisine" so to speak.

I still enjoy mining, and I still enjoy the mechanics, and I still think as an income source it's completely broken AF. I've got something like 80t of LTDs from a casual 1h mining, that's going to land me 140m easily enough. Nothing remotely competes with it as an income source.

I look back to things FD have nerfed due to the income they generated:

It just bewilders me how FD can do all that, then put something like the current mining system in-place, and then base the price of FCs based on that single income source. I mean, I was in agreeance with pretty much all those nerfs, but then this... it's just insanity.

They might as well just go back and undo all those nerfs to give other playstyles a fighting chance, because as broken as they were, they will barely make close to what mining does.

For what it's worth, since Borann is just two easy jumps away from my usual hangout, I decided to go out and just "sample the local cuisine" so to speak.

I still enjoy mining, and I still enjoy the mechanics, and I still think as an income source it's completely broken AF. I've got something like 80t of LTDs from a casual 1h mining, that's going to land me 140m easily enough. Nothing remotely competes with it as an income source.

I look back to things FD have nerfed due to the income they generated:

It just bewilders me how FD can do all that, then put something like the current mining system in-place, and then base the price of FCs based on that single income source. I mean, I was in agreeance with pretty much all those nerfs, but then this... it's just insanity.

They might as well just go back and undo all those nerfs to give other playstyles a fighting chance, because as broken as they were, they will barely make close to what mining does.
It has been nerfed in the last patch, it's just FD forgot to change the demand regeneration for LTDs so they as the single only mining commodity left still offer those high value prices for a stable and long time - if I understand what @Ian Doncaster writes correct. So I bet that gets fixed - of course only after carriers launch so again all people not jumping on the mining-grinding train now will be left behind.

Before LTD it was painite laser mining in double hotspots, which was even faster or at least less obvious exploity because there are hundreds of double hot spots out there, but I know of only two convenient triple LTD hot spots, Borann and one near Colonia...

Top Bottom