Ideas to improve dinosaur AI (Hunting and Fighting)

Hunting behavior of carnivores needs to be improved !
The current hunting behavior is terribly boring !
when a carnivore decides to hunt an herbivore, it does not move and is gently killed by the carnivore. There are no stakes, no surprises, no suspense, no fun, and above all no realism! It must change to make the behavior of dinosaurs as realistic as possible !
And I have some idea to propose to the developers to do it !

the idea is to add only one or two, mechanical and statistical to the dinosaurs, it's simple, logical and coherent:

SLEEP:

sleep is a vital need like water or food. when the sleep gauge is in red, the dinosaur stamina no longer regenerates. the dinosaurs must sleep to regenerate their sleep and allow the stamina to regenerate also.

STAMINA:

Not necessarily represented by a bar, the stamina decreases when the dinosaur runs or fights, more the stamina decreases the dinosaurs runs slowly, when the stamina is at zero, the dinosaur can no longer run and can only walk painfully.

The dinosaur can regenerate its stamina while resting (new animation: the dinosaur sits to rest for a few seconds). If the dinosaur does not run or fight, the stamina regenerates itself even though much more slowly.

HUNTING (pursuit race):

The hunt itself is a chase between the predator and the prey, it is the dinosaur with the best sleep that wins because it is the one that exhausted the least stamina! If the predator runs out first, he abandons the hunt and goes to rest, if the prey is exhausted first then the predator can bite it to damage it until he kills it !

Bite / Deal damage after chasing :

The damage received by the prey from the prey's health and defense stats (ALL dinosaurs must have defense points even hardosaurids and ornithomimids) and predator's attack stats.
If the attack damage caused by the predator is greater than the health and defenses of the prey, then the predator kills the prey at once! If the first bite is not enough to kill the prey at once, then the predator returns to the attack after a very short break (2 or 3 seconds) and starts again to kill the prey.
to give of the damages spends the stamina, to take damages much more !

Hunting and Scavenging :

For more realism, carnivores prefer easier food, meaning food that does not run away or that does not fight, like dinosaur carcasses already dead, goats or feeders! it is only in the absence of easy food that they will hunt other dinosaurs.

Pack Hunt = Alpha Order :

When the group's alpha decides to hunt, all the others follow him and hunt too even if they are not hungry! if the alpha does not want to hunt but the others are hungry, they will hunt and feed normally.

-Small carnivors do not hunt large herbivores (except raptors)
-The dilophosaurs hunted spitting venom, not jumping on their prey like raptors.

Non-Lethal Combat / Fight for Dominance :

dinosaurs fighting in a non-lethal way or to establish themselves as alpha really fight, but do not receive damages of health but stamina damages! every time a dino strikes another, the stamina of the latter decreased. the first dinosaurs whose stamina arrives at zero loses the fight, goes away shamefully, and goes to sit down to rest.
the herbivores able to fight (ceratopciens, stego and pachy) are also concerned by its fight for dominance.

Raptor vs large herbivores :
When a raptor attacks a large herbivore like a parasaurolophus, he jumps on it, bites it and claws for 2 or 3 seconds and jumps to the ground if his attack was not enough to kill him, then starts again until he kills him.

Last edited:
I really don’t agree with the whole stamina thing because it feels too arbitrary for what the game is and wants to be, but some of these are actually probable.

Particularly:
1. Pack hunting: This may be currently too hard to implement now since every dino to dino (even with goats) hunting and hurting scene is a script animation sequence. But, what might make this work in theory is to work out the game’s memory system when “any” more than one small carnivore attacks another when a script sequence begins.

2. Damaging a larger dinosaur from small herbivores is a good idea. One way to approve it is to have a script sequence we’re a small carnivores attack’s but hurts the other dinosaur without actually killing it. I see it more like a randomized sequence so that both sequences can play out when decided, that is, in theory, the game’s system can handle them both. I did actually give out a similar idea on a forum post already a few months back.

3. Dilophosaurs do use spit, but that doesn’t mean they would use it all of the time. However, considering what has been proven to change with the pachys for Update 1.8, this is a plausibility, but as of right now, I’m not entirely sure yet. You just have to wait and see. This was, of course, requested on the forums already, so there’s a hint there since the dev team that works on the game is always aware of suggestions.

4. Fighting interactions that aren’t lethal are very probable in my opinion, so I can’t really add a little more on that.

Last edited:
I really don’t agree with the whole stamina thing because it feels too arbitrary for what the game is and wants to be, but some of these are actually probable.

Particularly:
1. Pack hunting: This may be currently too hard to implement now since every dino to dino (even with goats) hunting and hurting scene is a script animation sequence. But, what might make this work in theory is to work out the game’s memory system when “any” more than one small carnivore attacks another when a script sequence begins.

2. Damaging a larger dinosaur from small herbivores is a good idea. One way to approve it is to have a script sequence we’re a small carnivores attack’s but hurts the other dinosaur without actually killing it. I see it more like a randomized sequence so that both sequences can play out when decided, that is, in theory, the game’s system can handle them both. I did actually give out a similar idea on a forum post already a few months back.

3. Dilophosaurs do use spit, but that doesn’t mean they would use it all of the time. However, considering what has been proven to change with the pachys for Update 1.8, this is a plausibility, but as of right now, I’m not entirely sure yet. You just have to wait and see. This was, of course, requested on the forums already, so there’s a hint there since the dev team that works on the game is always aware of suggestions.

4. Fighting interactions that aren’t lethal are very probable in my opinion, so I can’t really add a little more on that.

I do not understand why you say that the stamina is too arbitrary, the stamina is precisely related to the sleep of the dinosaur, precisely to make the thing logical and coherent.
The more the dinosaurs lacks sleep, the stamina decreases rapidly and the longer it takes to regenerate. It does not seem arbitrary.

I do not understand why you say that the stamina is too arbitrary, the stamina is precisely related to the sleep of the dinosaur, precisely to make the thing logical and coherent.
The more the dinosaurs lacks sleep, the stamina decreases rapidly and the longer it takes to regenerate. It does not seem arbitrary.

Except there's no actual sleep need/requirement mechanic programmed into the dinosaur's AI at the moment. As it is, it's an animation that occurs every once in a while at random to make the dinosaurs feel more realistic.

It feels like it’s pushing a little bit too much on something that may not seem very important or easy to manage in-game at the moment.

I will agree that carnivores really should prioritize carcasses over hunting. It gets kind of frustrating to see them constantly ignore fresh kills in plain sight in favor of pointlessly killing another herbivore.

Top Bottom