If I get JWE2...

I would certainly play through the campaign but probably just once...So I really don't understand how Frontier have scooped up all that feedback following the first game, have made tangentially developed park/zoo games that do have features JWE fans wanted, and seemingly not included them in this sequel (bar aquatic dinos.)
Obviously we have more to see but it's Frontier's job to convey what makes this game a sequel, and I'm looking at these screenshots and all I'm thinking is: "Ok, there's that tree from Planet Zoo, oh and another one -- that's fine, better to have more assets in the game...But wait, why are the buildings like this again?! Why doesn't there seem to be any evidence of customization? Okay that building is purple but what out of everything here would require any creativity? What makes any of this different from a game I already own? Even the lookout towers are exactly the same."

So alright, I would play through the campaign. But what's gonna keep me playing when JWE felt like it never reached its potential and we're revisiting those feelings here? This game has to stand next to Planet Zoo, your other zoo game that let's you build incredible habitats and unique buildings (that guests interact with and shape how you play the game due to their needs in relation to their location in the zoo).
What would keep me playing is the dinos, sure, but also the features JWE fans kept telling you were important. I.e. building my/our own Jurassic Park/World.

Man, I hope you got an ace up your sleeve, Frontier.
--Keeping important details (re limitations) about Planet Coaster's console version until the day before release, Odyssey's botched launch and now this, what I fear to be, reskin. It ain't looking good, loves.

Please accept this as a reflexive response to today's marketing of JWE 2, Frontier's higher-ups/ their decisions...and not in any way toxicity directed at any Frontier developers or community managers.

Last edited:
Very good points @TheDeadYoshi. I was thinking the same thing. I have read there’s now a sandbox from the get go which is a plus for me not to mention they made it sound like way better customization. I took it as piece by piece but once again that’s the way I took it so this is definitely not carved in stone. I read a article that stated Jeff Goldbloom was talking about it I believe. But after looking at what appears to be the same building setup I too question where? Now I too and coming off planet zoo like you said a game that lets you customize to your heart’s content I just can’t buy into this game so soon. I know I sound like a broken record but I still stand by my words PK appears to be the better game at this point. I know the game is struggling to get out of alpha but once they get the ball rolling I think people are going to realize from a customization stand point it’s going to be tough to beat. I’ve heard the building system is even better then PZ from many YouTubers.

It was going to be apparent that JWE2 may not get the same modular level of customization as the planet series, I always believe it was not going to happen as it could have clashed with the dinosaur and ranger vehicle pathfinding. Hopefully, they really make up for it will as robust of a creative toolset as possible.

I will say however, I really hope they do not overhype the game like how they did with Jurassic World Evolution. My main issue back then was how it was building up a lot of promise for stuff that was not part of the game at launch, like pack hunting, dinosaurs sleeping, terrain brushes, and ranger danger. They were probably limited to time and did implement some of them later on, but the initial package left a lot to be desired.

And I agree. None of the 'Planet Coaster Has a Limit BTW' kind of reveal. Obviously not everything will be as we pictured, and there may be some setbacks, but honest communication is key.

I would certainly play through the campaign but probably just once...So I really don't understand how Frontier have scooped up all that feedback following the first game, have made tangentially developed park/zoo games that do have features JWE fans wanted, and seemingly not included them in this sequel (bar aquatic dinos.)
Obviously we have more to see but it's Frontier's job to convey what makes this game a sequel, and I'm looking at these screenshots and all I'm thinking is: "Ok, there's that tree from Planet Zoo, oh and another one -- that's fine, better to have more assets in the game...But wait, why are the buildings like this again?! Why doesn't there seem to be any evidence of customization? Sure that building is purple but what out of everything here would require any creativity? What makes any of this different from a game I already own? Even the lookout towers are exactly the same."

So sure, I would play through the campaign. But what's gonna keep me playing when JWE felt like it never reached its potential and we're revisiting those feelings here? This game has to stand next to Planet Zoo, your other zoo game that let's you build incredible habitats and unique buildings (that guests interact with and shape how you play the game due to their needs in relation to their location in the zoo).
What would keep me playing is the dinos, sure, but also the features JWE fans kept telling you were important. I.e. building my/our own Jurassic Park/World.

Man, I hope you got an ace up your sleeve, Frontier.
--Keeping important details (re limitations) about Planet Coaster's console version until the day before release, Odyssey's botched launch and now this, what I fear to be, reskin. It ain't looking good, loves.

Please accept this as a reflexive response to today's marketing of JWE 2, Frontier's higher-ups/ their decisions...and not in any way toxicity directed at any Frontier developers or community managers.
Have thought and feeling same as you after looking screenshots they shared in the website and made me bit dissapoint and worries bout future of this game. I think it will make same mistake like its predecessor and suffer shallowness gameplay cz its build for multiple platform like JWE does but hey..lets hope we are wrong.

We’ll I am really happy for people who wanted a jwe2. I could have lived with or without it tbh. I’ll admit the graphics look crisp and quite nice. With the first game I really bought in with the trailer which I thought was amazing but I always felt the game fell short of expectations. I always waited to see what the next dlc would provide hoping for some game changing stuff that really never happened. I have mixed reviews on the first game the animations and fights were great and exciting to see. The new biome paints and rocks and foliage improved the game a lot. On the negatives I remember being frustrated with no sandbox option as the game made you work for it. I remember giving up a few times before finally buckling down motivated to get all the dinos for sandbox. Buildings although prebuilt were ok but simply not enough. With this game I hope to have the option for piece by piece construction. More like a planet zoo or coaster. I also seen the PK trailer thinking this is the JWE we should have got but oh well. I will wait and follow this game in the next couple weeks and months before giving a for sure opinion. Possibly wait till hearing enough feedback from people playing as well before I’d consider purchasing.

I feel like this time around a lot of people are overcompensating for their disappointment from last time. I grew up in the 90s. Every game had a pre-rendered cinematic trailer that looked absolutely nothing like the final game (including JPOG's "Black and White"-esc trailer in '02 or '03), but for some reason the Reddit/Youtuber click bait posts "(something that was never promised or even hinted at) CONFIRMED!!!" ran wild on JWE back in 2018. And let me be clear, most of the overhype wasn't from FDev, it was the dino fanbase starving for a JPOG successor. Remember when the devs were slowly revealing the list of dinos pre-launch and people noticed a screenshot showing a blurry dilophosaurus before it was confirmed? When asked, a dev in livestream said "uh... that's a log" (it was not), and minutes later every youtuber had a video up "Placeables confirmed!" Also, I seem to recall the dino fan community in general knew ahead of time JWE was going to be the prettier but shallow option next to Mesozoica's more in depth and scientifically accurate take, and Prehistoric Kingdom was supposed to be just around the corner too.

So 3 years later here we are again. 1 pre-rendered cinematic trailer and a handful of screenshots. And already across the internet, the "wisened" cynics are now equally certain of what we are not getting based on similar evidenciary standards. And as JWE critics have been saying for years now, if you want deep just wait for PK... which still isn't out... and the last time I saw a list of planned launch features they had removed pack hunting and a handful of other ideas that made it superior to JWE, but whatever... (oh and what ever happened to Mesozoica?). Idk, I'm honestly looking forward to PK too, but seeing so many people judge JWE off of as yet unrealised promises from PK never sat right with me, and now that JWE2 must evidently inherit this legacy gripe strikes me as some of y''all didn't actually learn your lesson about getting too hyped for a game like y'all claim you did.

(oh and what ever happened to Mesozoica?)
Mesozoica? Is that a game? Sounds like a scam. 🔥

I am excited but a bit cautious, mainly because the 2021 release date took me by surprise, as I thought this would be a 2022 product to launch alongside dominion. JWE did come out a bit undercooked, but at least based on their descriptions, it looks to be a more complete experience this time around. Hopefully, we could see some gameplay footage soon. The pictures do look stunning at least 👀

@Aramus418 I thought the same thing today after watching the trailer a few times and reading comments. Also YouTubers who basically know nothing on gameplay and already acting amazed. The feedback seems about 90% positive which surprises me a ton because I remember in my experience the first game was simply good but not great or excellent like it could and should have been. I know for a fact in my experience after playing planet zoo and seeing the PK trailer (which is a mystery at this point where the game is at and when it will be ready) I’d be disappointed if this game isn’t on their level. If this game doesn’t do so well I’d like to see frontier say no will do our own take in a prehistoric game which IMO would be so much better but I’m sure money has something to do with it and I know universal has plenty of it.

Last edited:
I know for a fact in my experience after playing planet zoo and seeing the PK trailer (which is a mystery at this point where the game is at and when it will be ready) I’d be disappointed if this game isn’t on their level.
Get ready for it cz im pretty sure JWE2 still not in that level..
It will suffer simplified cz had to release to multiplatform like its predecessor and we already known that console can't really handle tycoon simulator game smoothly especially in level where planet series belong.

I agree that’s been my thoughts on jwe from the start or at least a theory. As long as these games stay cross platform the creative freedom is going to suffer. It surprises me because I was so impressed with the next generation console but after Planco feedback they seem a bit overrated honestly. I got a performance gaming laptop that I remember thinking wow this is better then my laptop and cost a lot less. Now I know for sure I made the right choice as I can play on the highest settings with minimal problems on a huge map. And if the game caters to ps4 and Xbox one players which is great they get a chance to play but that hinders the game even further.

it was the dino fanbase starving for a JPOG successor
A lot of games "suffer" from the nostalgia from certain games.
Some fans just want an updated version of their all-time favorite game (which I can understand) but it's just a game with a similar theme. It's not like JPOG features are and should be a standard for all dino park games.

Somewhat similar thoughts on the whole building from PC/PZ to JWE2. Is there a rule that every Frontier management game should have the same game mechanics? In that case, also add breeding to the scheduled F1 management game :D

For me, it's a wait and see. Like I said in a PZ thread, i'm not going to judge/condemn a game based on such little info. But curious to see what they mean by more customization options for building.

I'm honestly looking forward to PK too, but seeing so many people judge JWE off of as yet unrealised promises from PK never sat right with me, and now that JWE2 must evidently inherit this legacy gripe strikes me as some of y''all didn't actually learn your lesson about getting too hyped for a game like y'all claim you did.
Looking forward to PK too, have been more criticial about certain features. Some features (also Ranger) will be different than previously announced. The Alpha looked great but I rather judge the final product or Early access after a year.

I like how people haven't seen much of the game yet and they already complaining. LOL

The game is coming out soon. My guess is by the end of Summer cause JP was always a Summer movie. I saw JP in theaters in 93 when I was 9 and it was hot. I walked to a local theater with my dad (cause his car wasn't working) to see JPTLW and it was warm, it was released in May. JP3 was released in July. Other people seem to think it will be released in December. JWE was released June 12th. I am guessing late Summer. July maybe August.

The point is the game is coming. We haven't seen much of it. I am sure there will plenty of time for you to make a decision about buying it or not. Getting caught up in the hype can be bad. But at least don't start trashing the game cause you saw a few pictures with some assets you didn't like while knowing very little about the game.

I figured we would get a sequel eventually. Dominion was supposed to be released in 2020 I believe but because of the Covid 19 stuff that got pushed back to 2021 and then 2022. I thought it would release around the time of Dominion. But it looks like Frontier seems to think JWE2 is going to be good enough to stand on it's own. They are pretty confident.

I had issues with the first game and I really liked the first game. I have almost 300 hours in it and I still play it once in a while. To me JWE was just like a tech demo. Frontier proved they could make the game. Though it was a bit limited and some things could have been done better. I believed in Frontier so much that I bought every DLC the day it was released. I was totally ok with supporting them so they could come back and do a better game in a sequel. I hope issues are fixed, especially that system where you have to place shops and things around every enclosure. I really hated that and it made no sense. I hope the Dinosaurs have better AI, better attacks, better movement and so on.

But I understand that they only had 16 months to work on JWE. They had more time with JWE2, that doesn't always mean a better game in some cases but I am more confident with this one. Also keep in mind that we could be seeing pictures from an early build of the game just like what we saw with JWE. We will see more as time goes on.

But I am pretty excited and I can't wait to see more. Not as excited as I was for JWE cause that was the first modern JP/JW park builder. It's like a first time thing.

Also I will probably be playing JWE while waiting for this game.

I like how people haven't seen much of the game yet and they already complaining. LOL

The game is coming out soon. My guess is by the end of Summer cause JP was always a Summer movie. I saw JP in theaters in 93 when I was 9 and it was hot. I walked to a local theater with my dad (cause his car wasn't working) to see JPTLW and it was warm, it was released in May. JP3 was released in July. Other people seem to think it will be released in December. JWE was released June 12th. I am guessing late Summer. July maybe August.

The point is the game is coming. We haven't seen much of it. I am sure there will plenty of time for you to make a decision about buying it or not. Getting caught up in the hype can be bad. But at least don't start trashing the game cause you saw a few pictures with some assets you didn't like while knowing very little about the game.

I figured we would get a sequel eventually. Dominion was supposed to be released in 2020 I believe but because of the Covid 19 stuff that got pushed back to 2021 and then 2022. I thought it would release around the time of Dominion. But it looks like Frontier seems to think JWE2 is going to be good enough to stand on it's own. They are pretty confident.

I had issues with the first game and I really liked the first game. I have almost 300 hours in it and I still play it once in a while. To me JWE was just like a tech demo. Frontier proved they could make the game. Though it was a bit limited and some things could have been done better. I believed in Frontier so much that I bought every DLC the day it was released. I was totally ok with supporting them so they could come back and do a better game in a sequel. I hope issues are fixed, especially that system where you have to place shops and things around every enclosure. I really hated that and it made no sense. I hope the Dinosaurs have better AI, better attacks, better movement and so on.

But I understand that they only had 16 months to work on JWE. They had more time with JWE2, that doesn't always mean a better game in some cases but I am more confident with this one. Also keep in mind that we could be seeing pictures from an early build of the game just like what we saw with JWE. We will see more as time goes on.

But I am pretty excited and I can't wait to see more. Not as excited as I was for JWE cause that was the first modern JP/JW park builder. It's like a first time thing.

Also I will probably be playing JWE while waiting for this game.

Hi PCMR4Life,

I wouldn't say I was trashing the game but, as I said, having a reflexive response to what they did show us. I think Frontier could count on more faith from me and others if they weren't so cloak and dagger about everything. I listed some of the decisions they've made that warrant criticism and a lack of belief in them, but these are just a few examples. Planet Zoo also had numerous issues and it still does. Getting answers about the planned features and scope of Planet Coaster was like getting blood out of a stone.

I'm trying to think of an equivalent as an example. Say, Nintendo finally reveal the sequel to Breath of the Wild and in the debut gameplay trailer the world looked exactly the same (but maybe it's fall so the trees have been recoloured to oranges and gold), nothing has changed and the items are the same and the trailer focused on Link finding new shrines to do about the world and maybe there would be a few new enemies littered about but that was it...You'd have a reasonable lack of hype, right? You'd wonder why after years, you're getting something that looks like an updated version of something you've already played.

I'm not trying to say JWE2 absolutely will disappoint and it won't have anything going for it. I'm just sorta shocked that there's so much that's reused and there's so little ambition on display. If you showed me the screenshots from JWE2 just after I started playing the first game years ago, I would never believe that I was looking at a sequel. I would say: "cute map DLC pack. It's good they're gonna add rocks and more trees...Shame the buildings and pathways didn't get any attention."

I think JWE 2 will appeal to many honestly. I’m sure there are going to be some hits and misses like every game really. The thing is tho to capitalize on some of the misses the second time around which judging by early screenshots they didn’t it appears. I believe jwe players are a loyal group who love the game so it would be great if they got the best game possible. Now I understand the reveal is in the early stages and opinions change as could mine for sure. But with universal probably somewhat calling the shots and frontier under a agreed contract it’s hard to know what to expect. I’m a Planco fan as well and the first game was amazing. I still remember seeing the game on steam the first time and being blown away even tho my at the time pc was not up to the task of playing it with good graphics ect. I still enjoyed it anyway. Here’s the point tho if Planco 2 comes out which is almost for sure at some point if they didn’t address some of the issues but the graphics were better I’d be disappointed as well. Now of course frontier has full say on Planco so I got to believe that’s definitely helpful in making a game for sure.

Last edited:
I think JWE 2 will appeal to many honestly. I’m sure there are going to be some hits and misses like every game really. The thing is tho to capitalize on some of the misses the second time around which judging by early screenshots they didn’t it appears. I believe jwe players are a loyal group who love the game so it would be great if they got the best game possible. Now I understand the reveal is in the early stages and opinions change as could mine for sure. But with universal probably somewhat calling the shots and frontier under a agreed contract it’s hard to know what to expect.

Well at least my expectations are very low now, so it makes it easier to surprise me I guess XD

I don’t ever believe JWE2 will have “Planet” style customization, because the Jurassic IP is not an IP Frontier own, so there are challenges of how they can make it.

The Planet games are IPs Frontier own so they have more “freedom” of development. If any AAA game uses another company’s IP, there will still be respective restrictions, rules, etc. to adhere by.

The way I see it as I’ve always have, Frontier’s owned Planet titles focus on endless customization and creativity. Meanwhile, Frontier’s Jurassic World Evolution games rely heavily on authenticity from the Jurassic franchise. More creative levels on certain aspects? Sure. Just not at the “endless Planet” kind of style. Even former Frontier community manager Bo Marit explicitly confirmed that last year on a now old dead thread.

Last edited:
@TheDeadYoshi lol. All joking aside I’ll give my honest opinion of the trailer and screenshots and compare it to PZ just for the sake of comparison. Not the same game I know but we’ll do it anyway as there’s a point to be made in both games.
JWE2 trailer- Absolutely stunning but at the same time a pre rendered trailer. My thoughts were wow if this game looks as good as this and building is way improved this is the jwe we all wanted. And still could be for sure.
JWE screenshots- Looks great, although disappointing it appears to have the same plop and place buildings and objects. Disappointing honestly. Like the new biomes and trees but the game does look like a updated version of the current game.
Thoughts on PZ - I was a huge zt2 fan so this game was a must for me. I have about 1,000 hrs sunk into it and for the most part it’s a amazing game. Now the pre rendered trailer which is the point I wanted to get at looked amazing as well. The lion chased after the kid running and animals seemed to react to guests. That’s a feature that is absent in PZ atm. I’m sure it’s not easy to implement but that’s a little disappointing after all this time PZ has been out. So you can’t obviously always buy into everything a pre rendered trailer shows. The game is buggy and varies from update to update. Luckily for me I’ve only had one game breaking bug with keepers stuck on the path but since then pretty stable. Now as for the game itself it’s been all I’d hoped for really. The game has unlimited creativity and habitats look stunning. Animals with unique personalities is another miss at this point although mentioned when it was in development stages. But other then that it’s what I was hoping jwe would have been of a sequel was to come out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom