If someone from Fdev streams themselves unlocking all the Guardian tech. I will eat my eye patch.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just to point out before I begin that my eyepatch is not just some scrap of leather. There is lots of tech crammed in there that lets me interface with my ship directly through my eye socket to my brain. So it will be crunchier than y'all might think.

Sandro has said something along the lines of wanting to respect our time. Or respecting our time already. Now many of us all laughed in disbelief at that statement simply because up to that point it may as well have been a lie given the situation at that time and just how long we have had the RNGineers biowaste being funneled down our throats. But time went on and I stopped laughing and wanted to believe you would be better about these things. And as far as the new Engineers go mission accomplished. Engineering is still a long grinding tunnel for sure but at least there is an actual light at the end now though it could still stand to lose a couple more miles of grind. But just like an abusive spouse it was not too terribly long before you were right back to old habits of beating the player base with ridiculous grind requirements...

Just have a taste of your own medicine. And look at the camera while "playing" and say you are having fun. And mean it. Say with a straight face that THIS (4:10)

[video=youtube_share;GWSsV7gI-RI]https://youtu.be/GWSsV7gI-RI?t=4m9s[/video]

is a part of your grand vision for the game. That this is the level of game play you strive to achieve.

Update...

"Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to stream it. I'm state side, and do not have the upload speed to be able to stream..."

OK fine fair enough you cannot personally do it. But I did say to him that does not stop you from getting this ball rolling within Fdev's ranks.

"The thread has been sent onwards to the team this morning, other than that - i don't know much more on the status of it than that.
Anyhow, 3.30pm, going to get me a late lunch."

-Brett C

Had to pester him on Discord but I did at least get some form of an answer. But there it is.

Now just for some of my open thoughts here...

I don't know what team he would have sent it to seeing as live streams and community interactions are kind of his department but what the heck do I know...

But in the end if any member of the community team decides they want this to actually be done and not just send it team to team or whatever. It can be done. There is nothing stopping Fdev but Fdev. And I have said this before but if the people who made a system are not willing to suffer it themselves then they need to check themselves.

If some lower level devs we have never seen on stream or anything wants to take this opportunity to jump into the spotlight and become darlings to the community this is the way to do it.

A take on the Guardian Grind by Vindicator Jones

[video=youtube_share;72Q0LY3tOMY]https://youtu.be/72Q0LY3tOMY[/video]

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/423430-VJ-Video-The-Guardian-Grind

Good Video. Go watch it and bring your debates over there as well.

Here is just one of my thoughts on the last bit of his video.

"And while they may play it. They are not invested in playing it." "I doubt very much the lead designers come home and boot up Elite Dangerous most nights to play"

That has been pretty much my whole point. They lack that perspective. None of them have actually experienced these parts of their game in their pure naked and nasty forms. And in order to gain that perspective they need to actually sit down and play through these problem parts. While I do not doubt they want to make a great space game they cannot do that without a "boots on the ground" perspective as far as progression goes. There is just no other way for that to happen.

This video by Yamiks makes some great points regarding the wider problem of much of Elite progression. Be sure to bring the discussion over there as well.

[video=youtube_share;tZMUGvU6Tqs]https://youtu.be/tZMUGvU6Tqs[/video]

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...er-reliance-RNGesus-amp-procedural-generation

One thing I want to make clear. Its not about shaming Fdev. While that will probably be a side effect. Its not about that. It is about having them identify and work on fixing their flaws. Its about them coming to our level as well. And if they are so prideful that they aren't willing to do that in order to truly make their game great than maybe they are lost.

Now for an actual update.

Hello folks,

Wanted to wade in here and say thank you for all of the feedback.

We sent it to the team and have been informed that they are working on rebalancing things to alleviate the amount of time required to unlock Guardian tech. We will let you know soon as we have more information to share about that!

Thanks again everyone!

The best

ThvBfWK.jpg

But not really though. We will have to see what they come up with in the next update. (Soon TM)

Whether or not I will eat my eye-patch will be decided based on how drastic and effective the changes are. And you still have the opportunity to progress through Guardians 2.0 on some sort of stream or pre cut video to go along with the update when the time comes. To prove that you respect our time as much as your own. You do that and I will eat my eye-patch.

Last edited:
Just to point out before I begin that my eyepatch is not just some scrap of leather. There is lots of tech crammed in there that lets me interface with my ship directly through my eye socket to my brain. So it will be crunchier than y'all might think.

Sandro has said something along the lines of wanting to respect our time. Or respecting our time already. Now many of us all laughed in disbelief at that statement simply because up to that point it may as well have been a lie given the situation at that time and just how long we have had the RNGineers biowaste being funneled down our throats. But time went on and I stopped laughing and wanted to believe you would be better about these things. And as far as the new Engineers go mission accomplished. Engineering is still a long grinding tunnel for sure but at least there is an actual light at the end now though it could still stand to lose a couple more miles of grind. But just like an abusive spouse it was not too terribly long before you were right back to old habits of beating the player base with ridiculous grind requirements...

Just have a taste of your own medicine. And look at the camera while "playing" and say you are having fun. And mean it. Say with a straight face that THIS (4:10)

https://youtu.be/GWSsV7gI-RI?t=4m9s

is a part of your grand vision for the game. That this is the level of game play you strive to achieve.

And I'll donate an extra $50 to the charity of their choosing as well. (seriously, no joke).

I don't entirelly disagree with your point - a bit less faffing around would be welcome (a few genereic materials and tech brokers would be nice for instance) - but the thing that struck me about that video, was how little in the way of resources it took to get a powerplant.
Really, just 4 blueprints - the rest of the crap (other than the grid assemblys) is the sort of stuff I always have well over 100 of clogging up my inventory.
Does no one but me loot anything ?

Sadly, almost every time Fdev introduce a new element into the game it is based around repetition of task, rinse and repeat. In open world games this is called busywork; simply a multitude of endless tasks which in themselves do little but take far too much time in relation to the game play satisfaction they produce.
As much as I love Elite, the team behind it don't really seem to view time spent in the game the same way players do. I'm sure some don't mind but for me I can't find the urge to keep doing many of these types of busywork and simply ignore many aspects of the game. I don't see that changing much as Elite continue along its current path.

I'll happily jump on the donate train knowing full well my money is safe. I want to see the same puzzle get solved 18+ times to satisfy the requirements too. No cheating.

So how many times is an acceptable number, in order to have access to all the new Guardian toys?

Personally, I feel 18 is unreasonable but think 6 is probably fair - with the caveat that each Guardian site only provides a single blueprint type.

So how many times is an acceptable number, in order to have access to all the new Guardian toys?

Personally, I feel 18 is unreasonable but think 6 is probably fair - with the caveat that each Guardian site only provides a single blueprint type.

Once. One puzzle per site. Each site grants a different blueprint. Done. This nonsense grind for grind's sake has poisoned all our expectations into thinking this crap is ok if only just tuned. It needs to be fixed outright. There's enough trouble just getting the other materials. Forcing people to solve the same puzzle more than once is asinine.

Once. One puzzle per site. Each site grants a different blueprint. Done. This nonsense grind for grind's sake has poisoned all our expectations into thinking this crap is ok if only just tuned. It needs to be fixed outright. There's enough trouble just getting the other materials. Forcing people to solve the same puzzle more than once is asinine.

Yeah, I'm curious as to why anyone would want to make other people do something more than once to gain a reward. If it's entertaining then people would rerun it anyway, but if people are only doing it to get access to the Guardian equipment why force them to do it over and over again?

Yeah, I'm curious as to why anyone would want to make other people do something more than once to gain a reward. If it's entertaining then people would rerun it anyway, but if people are only doing it to get access to the Guardian equipment why force them to do it over and over again?

This 18 times over.
Err I mean I agree completely.

Fdev don't play the game.

Check this video out:

[video=youtube;5AJ_sAH-f8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AJ_sAH-f8c[/video]

Fast-forward to 10:45 and watch as Ed uses headlook and then comments on the screen tear. They attribute it to the video capture device and say, "I haven't seen it like that before." This is just days before ED was released on PS4, but observant eyes had seen and reported this screen tear months earlier when the first demo of the PS4 version was shown at PAX.

As you can guess or may even remember, ED came out on PS4 with this very obvious bug (it was not the video capture card) which was quickly labeled as "teargate".

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Right, that's kinda what I said - each Guardian module requires one blueprint to unlock. Perhaps I phrased it badly.

One! And only ONE time! There shouldn’t be the need to do something more than once in the exact same way without any story reason provided. It makes zero sense to repeat this task!

The only but big problem are the module and weapon blueprint fragments.

Instead of only dropping one it should drob three like every damn else data scan in the game does.

There is no reason to make us do the process three times as much.

I usually show a lot of compassiom towards the reasoning behind ingame decisions made by FDev.

Yet, this is the straw that breaks the camel's back.
I can not come up with any justification for this decision.
There is no need to waste players time and patience in the unlocking process that much.

It is highly illogical to implement a requirement wall that leaves the player with the only reasonable option to relog.

This is a game mechanic based on exploitation by resetting an instance.

I really can not comprehend the idea behind the thought of the staff in charge who came up with only one drop per scan.

Frontier has put a lot of work and dedication into creating the structures and then it all gets ruined by a completely unnecessary and mechanic abusing encouraging decision.

Why, Frontier, just why?

It even gets worse when the unlocked modules do not even work.

I just don't know why there are from a player's sight quite a few illogical decisions made by the Dev team.

There was once a pay-to win game called Vega Conflict, by Kixeye.
When I started playing you could buy a few things/ repair time for a very, very expensive ingame currency - but if you played smart you did not have to in order to build a very good base and fleets.
Over time, this changed. It went full pay to win with rediculous grind, lootboxes and at the end no chance to kill the whales whatsoever.

The decision made by Kixeye were purely based on profit, catering the wales, often releasing useless tech and not fixing it.

The point is there was a reasoning behind their actions.

Yet, Fdev gains absolutely no advantage by implementing this specific kind of mind killing grind.
It hurts the community, it hurts the individual player and ultimately it hurts Fdev as some will boycott the in game paying options.
There are just losers.

Same goes for player minor factions, not testing modules before release and pushing new content before carefully balancing and fixing existing content.

Maybe, Fdev should change their business module to cheese manufacturing as they seem to have a lot of experience with releasing products that have holes in them!

Oh, btw, at Kixeye we had good interaction with the community management in the forum, whereas here I see nothing at all - one of the very few perks of this now completely f'ed up game.

It is sad to see what the gaming industry has become.
I miss the days of a full sized game receiving bug fixing patches and lster one or two add ons.
All that ongoing development is just [radicated].

Last edited:
How come, we're all kicking up a stink about doing the guardians stuff 18 times...

Yet we're all also quite happy to repeat ourselves on this forum 100s of times over?

:p

Personally, I think each site should unlock something different.
And each puzzle should be different too.
Like sort Sodoku of Guardian Ruins.
You can also adjust the difficulty so better modules require more noggin power to unlock.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom