If you go to Strong G, you will die.

Babylon 5 was excellent, unmissable TV. Simply awesome.

While admitting that B5 was awesome for its time...
1) It has not aged well, particularly those Amiga-powered CG scenes; and
2) While jms could write awesome stories, he wrote some cringeworthy dialogue to go with them.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go tie myself to a stake so y’all can burn me for heresy.

(Still giving props to OP for the reference, though...)

Why did '90's sci-fi set decorators use so many pastel colours and potted plants?

Not sure. When Star Trek TOS was made, they did a lot of pastels like that since they would show up as contrasting areas on the older Black & White screens. As to plants, some guy named Bruce Perewinkle happens to be the cabin designer. He likes plants.

Babylon 5 was excellent, unmissable TV. Simply awesome.

+1 to this.

It did have some weak moments (Grey 17 :O )and Season 5 was largely contrived and padded but that was because JMS had to rush his main arc to end in Season 4 as there was uncertainty about the show being renewed. However overall it was an epic and riveting tale the like of which we've never really seen since, not even the BSG remake (IMHO).

Also very sad that many of the fine cast are no longer with us, having gone beyond the galactic rim themselves. Sobering to reflect, it's also 20 (Twenty) years this year since Season 5 ended. Now I feel old.

Still that's probably a discussion for the OT forum, just a shame we never got a B5 game apart from that odd little freeware - "She's Out There" that popped up a few years back. At least in ED we can visit Epsilon Eridani even if B5 etc. is absent!

Last edited:
Hmm, Lexx was 90's as well? There's two!

Does Lexx count? That was kinda intended trash. Which made it awesome in the end though. :D
Never got into Babylon 5 Actually. Same with Star Trek as a whole actually because this whole "one silly alien for each human trait" always put me off. There is almost always a Trade Alien, a War Alien and a Weird Alien along with several others.

And to contribute to the topic: high G comes down to patience I think. If you want to be on the ground fast you will be on the ground fast...

I'm not totally clear yet either, but the OP should know, I will not go down easily, and I will not go down alone.

If you stop over a high G world you still stop, it dosent pull you down, which means if you simply descend slowly instead of like you on a 0.5g world you'll be fine...Its actually really easy

It had its moments for sure, but just like DS9 I hated the religious bobbins.
Special effects on the Amiga so bonus points and let's not forget ivanova

I completely missed Babylon 5 during its initial run (being out to sea in the Navy and then getting married cut into my time for such things). I didn't get around to watching it until a friend lent me the DVDs a couple of years ago. The Amiga was (and is) and incredible machine but the reality is that Babylon 5's special effects didn't age as well as the practical effects of other contemporary sci-fi shows. I'm sure that if I'd watched the show when it was first aired I'd be more forgiving but seeing it through a lens decades later ... it doesn't score very high for me. I'm not saying it wasn't good sci-fi ... just that I don't buy into the hype around it.

Oo! This thread has derailed to two of my favorite topics: B5, Star Trek and the Amiga... three of my favorite topics! :D

While admitting that B5 was awesome for its time...
1) It has not aged well, particularly those Amiga-powered CG scenes; and
2) While jms could write awesome stories, he wrote some cringeworthy dialogue to go with them.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go tie myself to a stake so y’all can burn me for heresy.

(Still giving props to OP for the reference, though...)

No, the effects haven't aged well, but the story is all I care about and that's still pretty solid. And, you won't get burned for heresy by me. It's a show. A story. Entertainment nothing more. It just happens to be one of the finest Sci Fi shows ever made, up there with the original Trek.

It had its moments for sure, but just like DS9 I hated the religious bobbins.
Special effects on the Amiga so bonus points and let's not forget ivanova

I actually liked it because it was, unlike Trek, respectful towards religion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a religious man, I just don't believe religion is any more good or evil than any other institution of man, so it was nice to see a Sci Fi show not poo-pooing religion all the time.

BTW, I know a man on an Amiga forum that uses an avatar similar to yours. I detect that you're British from the use of the word "bobbins" and I think he's a American, but I did note the connection. :)

... just that I don't buy into the hype around it.

What made B5 enjoyable for me were the characters. Like the original Trek, the characters were real, believable and sympathetic. I just finished rewatching DS9 for the first time and ended up pounding my head against the wall because many of the characters where just cardboard props for the most part. 1 dimensional, unrealistic and/or wholely uninsteresting.

Last edited:
B5's Shadows and the Strong G mission still give me the shivers.

I took Strong G without knowing anything about it. That bad boy ticked off 3 firsts for me:
  • 1st passenger mission
  • 1st attempted high G planet landing
  • 1st time I destroyed a ship whilst attempting to land

Good times.

Top Bottom