If you have EDTracker - make sure you use OpenTrack

Please forgive me if I am late to this particular party - but if you have EDTracker you really owe it to yourself to use it in conjunction with OpenTrack.

Enabling the 'roll-axis', takes EDTracker from a 'nice to have' to an absolute game-changer.

It has given me an exciting glimpse into what I imagine Oculs Rift levels of immersion must feel like - and if you've not given it a go, do so. It's a bit fiddly to start with, but once everything has settled, it is A-MAZE-ING...

Here's my OpenTrack ini file.

In the EDTracker UI 4.0.4.0 I have Yaw and Pitch scaling set to 1.00, and smoothing to 35.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've just got my EDtracker built, calibrated and working. I'm not using OpenTrack and its already amazing. How is running it through OpenTrack an improvement? As far as I can tell OpenTrack just takes an input and translates to an output, in my experience it was taking a camera input and translating to a joystick. Since EDtracker simulates a three axis joystick I'm confused as to what I'm missing.

I've just got my EDtracker built, calibrated and working. I'm not using OpenTrack and its already amazing. How is running it through OpenTrack an improvement? As far as I can tell OpenTrack just takes an input and translates to an output, in my experience it was taking a camera input and translating to a joystick. Since EDtracker simulates a three axis joystick I'm confused as to what I'm missing.

My EDTracker only translates two axies - pitch and yaw - so looking up/down and left/right.

With OpenTrack I also get yaw - tilt left/right.

If you get that vanilla from EDTracker, then I'm doubly behind the curve!!!

:D

My EDTracker only translates two axies - pitch and yaw - so looking up/down and left/right.

With OpenTrack I also get yaw - tilt left/right.

If you get that vanilla from EDTracker, then I'm doubly behind the curve!!!

:D

Trust me, it's much more likely I've missed something, I'll check this out tomorrow. Cheers

This is really good advice. It shouldn't be hidden in the depths of the forum.

I've been using EDTracker for about 6 months, but just with the included software. OpenTrack provides Roll, not just Yaw and Pitch.

It's a big improvement. Rep++

This is really good advice... OpenTrack provides Roll, not just Yaw and Pitch... It's a big improvement. Rep++

Thanks for the rep :)

Use of OpenTrack seems quite popular, given that across the two 'starter' profiles I linked, there have been over 4,000 downloads. Yes I was surprised!

e. > Here's < a really helpful page on getting and setting up OpenGrid, and > here's < my most up to date download for a starter profile.

Also worth a look is Roccat PowerGrid if you've an android device to hand - it's also free. My 7" pad sits neatly between my joystick and throttle. Two screens, one for SLF one for not:

c00X2DF.jpg
And
4Doix6F.jpg
In the spirit of sharing, > here's < my PowerGrid set-up (along with a short doc detailing my key-bindings).

Last edited:
Henry, you said in the OP that you have yaw & pitch set to 1:00. Is that still the case? That seems pretty low to me. I have mine set to 20 as it seems a little more responsive. I've only had it for a week, though, so I haven't had much time to get used to it yet. Also, where do we download OpenTrack?

Henry, you said in the OP that you have yaw & pitch set to 1:00. Is that still the case? That seems pretty low to me. I have mine set to 20 as it seems a little more responsive. I've only had it for a week, though, so I haven't had much time to get used to it yet. Also, where do we download OpenTrack?

Hi Jason, good point, >>> here's <<< a very useful page about OpenTrack and how to get it and set it up.

You'll see in this page that OpenTrack provides it's own scaling, so in the EdTracker config it needs to be set to 1, else you can get some horrid results.

hth.

Last edited:
Hi Jason, good point, >>> here's <<< a very useful page about OpenTrack and how to set it up.

You'll see in this page that OpenTrack provides it's own scaling, so in the EdTrack config it needs to be set to 1, else you can get some horrid results.

hth.

Ok, good catch then. I'll be sure to download and check that out as soon as work is done for the day. I love my EDtracker so far, but boy o boy would I love a wireless version!

Edit: I'm out of rep power, so have a +1

Last edited:
Please forgive me if I am late to this particular party - but if you have EDTracker you really owe it to yourself to use it in conjunction with OpenTrack.

Enabling the 'roll-axis', takes EDTracker from a 'nice to have' to an absolute game-changer.

It has given me an exciting glimpse into what I imagine Oculs Rift levels of immersion must feel like - and if you've not given it a go, do so. It's a bit fiddly to start with, but once everything has settled, it is A-MAZE-ING...

Here's my OpenTrack ini file: http://www.mediafire.com/view/o3mi38...eD_Profile.ini

In the EDTracker UI 4.0.4.0 I have Yaw and Pitch scaling set to 1.00, and smoothing to 35.

Hope this helps.

I'd also suggest it makes using it in ED easier... ie: Zero config!

And also, the behaviour curves in OpenTrack result in a more natural/configurable head turn behaviour too.

You'll see in this page that OpenTrack provides it's own scaling, so in the EdTracker config it needs to be set to 1, else you can get some horrid results.

The EDTracker app won't let me set the scaling lower than 2.0. OpenTrack works fine, although I needed to adjust its mapping for Yaw and Pitch.

I downloaded the Opentrack software and followed the directions for setup (I think) but it doesn't seem to be actually detecting my EDTracker. I can select the tracker in the Opentrack program UI, but whatever I input into the program has no effect on the tracker itself in-game.

I downloaded the Opentrack software and followed the directions for setup (I think) but it doesn't seem to be actually detecting my EDTracker. I can select the tracker in the Opentrack program UI, but whatever I input into the program has no effect on the tracker itself in-game.

If you move the EDTracker can you see the Opentrack logo rotating around in Opentrack accordingly?

If you can, then you should simply run ED and done... Ensure head tracking is turned on. I have HOME mapped to turn it on/off...

If you move the EDTracker can you see the Opentrack logo rotating around in Opentrack accordingly?

If you can, then you should simply run ED and done... Ensure head tracking is turned on. I have HOME mapped to turn it on/off...

Good point. Yes, I can get the little octopus to move when I manipulate the tracker, so in that sense the program is detecting the hardware. The problem is nothing I do mapping curves seems to make any difference, the tracker just behaves the same no matter what I do. In this case it moves verrrry slowly because the settings are turned down to 1:00 in the EDTracker ProUI.

Edit: Hmmm, something I just thought of and am checking on now is that last night when I was trying it out I might have forgotten to turn off the TrackerPro UI and instead just minimized it; maybe that was interfering somehow?

2nd edit: so that was it, I forgot to turn off the TrackerPro UI and that was screwing things up. So now I have a second question: I get a lot of drift on my unit whenever I take it off, so I'm always having to use autobias on the UI to recenter it. If I have the Pro UI turned off, how do I get my view to re-center?

Last edited:
...So now I have a second question: I get a lot of drift on my unit whenever I take it off, so I'm always having to use autobias on the UI to recenter it. If I have the Pro UI turned off, how do I get my view to re-center?

I quite often have to go back into the EDTrack UI and use 'Auto Gyro Bias' - particularly if I've left the EDtracker near a speaker over-night - but rarely during a play session.

In OpenTrack, from the main config screen go to 'Keys' - I have F1 configured to disable the head tracking ('Zero'), and F2 to re-centre it ('Centre').

Other settings are Tracker: Joystick input; Protocol: freetrack 2.0 Enhanced; Filter: Accela.

hth

Last edited:
Top Bottom