Il2 BoS

Great info, thanks! I should’ve guessed the community does great things here too if there given some tools.
I used to play the original IL2’s in the early days, but lost interest and have lost the discs somewhere.

The game also has Career more, which is basically a huge semi-randomized campaign, so you can also stick with that for a while until you decide if you want to buy more stuff or not.

If you want to use the discount opportunity to nail some DLCs as well, I would recommend you start with the "major" era expansions, Battle of Moscow, Battle of Kuban and Battle of Bodenplatte (soon there will be Battle of Normandy as well).

Each of these add more airplanes (Bodenplatte adds american planes as well), their own maps, and their respective eras to the career mode. I'd say with these you already get A LOT of content for Il-2 that will last you a long time.

If you buy DLC airplanes, they also get integrated in the career modes of it's respective eras. Flying Circus adds WW1 airplanes and maps, which is awesome, but unfortunately there is still no career mode for Flying Circus (probably so that it doesn't kill off Rise of Flight completely).

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that this is all your fault.

Senza titolo-2.jpg

(Many thanks for the heads up really, probably it would have slipped under my radar otherwise, haven't been peeking at the Steam store for a while!)

I just wanted to say that this is all your fault.

View attachment 192115

(Many thanks for the heads up really, probably it would have slipped under my radar otherwise, haven't been peeking at the Steam store for a while!)

You can add stuff you're interested in to your the steam wishlist, that way you'll get an email the moment they go on sale. This is how I got nearly all my IL-2 content (and most of my steam collection). :) As flight sims and their numerous DLC tend to become very expensive, taking advantage of these big sales allow us to save quite a lot!

I'm aware of that, but of course I always forgot to put them in my wish list as well. 😅

I have not many hopes of making them run decently in VR on a poor 1060, and even less of mapping everything needed on a poor Hotas 4, but surely I'll have enough even for some simple free flying around, it might be worth the experience alone. Also, campaigns generator! I've been missing those since 1946!

I'm aware of that, but of course I always forgot to put them in my wish list as well. 😅

I have not many hopes of making them run decently in VR on a poor 1060, and even less of mapping everything needed on a poor Hotas 4, but surely I'll have enough even for some simple free flying around, it might be worth the experience alone. Also, campaigns generator! I've been missing those since 1946!
It's also worthwhile having an IL2 website/forum account...there's often sales on the store page that don't make it onto Steam or are slightly cheaper buying direct. They also send out advance emails when there's a sale coming up. I bought the original IL2 BoS from Steam...the rest I've bought direct from the website since 100% of the cash goes to the developers. The forum is also a great resource for free DLC like historical paint packs and 3rd party add-ons etc...

Last edited:
It's also worthwhile having an IL2 website/forum account...there's often sales on the store page that don't make it onto Steam or are slightly cheaper buying direct. They also send out advance emails when there's a sale coming up. I bought the original IL2 BoS from Steam...the rest I've bought direct from the website since 100% of the cash goes to the developers. The forum is also a great resource for free DLC like historical paint packs and 3rd party add-ons etc...

I just want to add on top of all Mole HD said, that the IL2 website store also has several DLC for sale that is not available on steam. Preorders for the Battle of Normandy major expansion, the Hurricane plane, some campaigns and anti aircraft artillery for instance are only for sale in the IL2 website store.

Beware that although the IL2 website store has Steam Login, it doesn't match your website account DLC purchase history with your steam account DLC purchase history (the opposite also applies), so you need to double check manually if you're not buying something you already bought on steam (this becomes a risk as you start accumulating airplanes etc).

For the reasons said above, I also bought through the developers’ site. Waiting to find time for installation.
On a second thought, a tutorial would be also nice to find.

Attachments

• CA44C13E-148F-4A4A-BB1A-A912B12638D4.jpeg
    CA44C13E-148F-4A4A-BB1A-A912B12638D4.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 160
Regarding tutorials, think the closest thing you will ever find is the Air Combat tutorial youtube channel, which features instruction videos for most airplanes:

You can also use automatic engine management and 1-button engine start, if you prefer.

Last edited:
You can also use automatic engine management and 1-button engine start, if you prefer.

And that's exactly what I've always done. Throttle forward, throttle back (WEP aside when available). Real purists will boo at me, and honestly I'd like very much to dedicate myself to some engine management as well, but can't be bothered when A) I don't have a comfortable enough interface to handle all those additional controls and B) I'm still stuck to a (admittedly comfortable) chair in a warm, quiet, tiny flat. I can't feel the right pull of the engine on the proper mixture/pitch, I can't feel the rattling and shaking of a wrong carburation. I'm of that old school that thinks most of the engine and chassis of any vehicle, you manage with the bum more than with hands. I might just make an exception for things like radiators and cowlings, but that's it really. But I'll make no compromises on aerodynamics, I want the full package there (even though approaching stalls are very much another bum thing).

Also, I think I'll drink a shot every time I quote askavir from now on. 😀

And that's exactly what I've always done. Throttle forward, throttle back (WEP aside when available). Real purists will boo at me, and honestly I'd like very much to dedicate myself to some engine management as well, but can't be bothered when A) I don't have a comfortable enough interface to handle all those additional controls and B) I'm still stuck to a (admittedly comfortable) chair in a warm, quiet, tiny flat. I can't feel the right pull of the engine on the proper mixture/pitch, I can't feel the rattling and shaking of a wrong carburation. I'm of that old school that thinks most of the engine and chassis of any vehicle, you manage with the bum more than with hands. I might just make an exception for things like radiators and cowlings, but that's it really. But I'll make no compromises on aerodynamics, I want the full package there (even though approaching stalls are very much another bum thing).

I'll quote you right back :ROFLMAO:

Now seriously, I play IL-2 with auto engine management and 1-button engine start as well.

I do love doing most of those things myself on other games (although I certainly do not boo at anyone who prefers not to, I'm a "live and let live" guy and to each his own) like DCS, XP11 or MSFS2020, but only because they have interactive cockpits and I can just flip the switches and push the buttons directly on the cockpit. In IL2 there are no interactive cockpits, and engine management options are pretty much "all or nothing" so I would have to bind (and remember) tons of stuff to the hotas or keyboard, most of them I would only use once or twice per flight.

Last edited:
Exactly that, I love to cold start my trusty DR400 or similar planes in FS and taxi them to the runway for those very reasons...but then I'll still leave automixture on after that. Lazy Sunday pilot I am.
This also made me think that now I have a choice between continuing my short hop roundtrip of Italy in FS, keeping up with the planned invasion of Dover and Kent in CloD, doing whatever I'm going to do in the newer IL2 now...isn't this a great time again for flight sim jocks!

Being a life long biker, I understand that seat of the pants feeling at a grass roots level too. Even my 1998 Harley springer doesn't have 'modern' things like a tachometer or fuel gauge...I reset the odometer trip every time I fill up with fuel and know that at roughly 280 miles down the road, I'm down to a third of a tank...I feel the corners, hear the revs and know instinctively by feel how much grip I've got on the front tyre. I know every splutter and cough or strange rattle unique to a Harley Evolution engine it has.

I remember when I picked the bike up new in 1998 from the dealer. I was riding it home in winter weather with an air temp of -2°c...it started to splutter and cut out on the dual carriageway forcing me to keep pulling over. Once stopped and sat for a minute or 2 it revved beautifully...nothing wrong with it. It wasn't until the spluttering and cutting out happened for the 4th or 5th time I relented and got the spanners out when parked in a layby, I discovered (again unique to Harley's) the fuel was freezing in the carburetor with the heavily minus air temperatures at 60mph. The Harley being an inline Vtwin, the carb is stuck right out in the airflow...unlike British or Japanese 45° offset Vtwins where they've tucked the carbs behind the front cylinder...the Harley design is fine for Texas, not so much for Scottish winters...

My first thought as I found the root cause of the problem when pulling the float chamber off the carb at the side of the road and seeing fuel with bits of crispy snot floating in it..."Good grief...freezing fuel? It's not a bloody Spitfire fer goodness sake!"

Last edited:
I wouldn't even know how to start an Harley to save my life probably 😅 , but I still remember the first times I got on a car to learn to drive. My dad had an old Fiat from the times most of them still had carburettors and no rev counter, young kid me coming in from videogames with fancy racing cars of course wondered "but how do you know when to change gear, if you are too high or low revs? How can you do it only by hearing it when it's very loud around? How do you know when to pull or open air?". His answer was something along "you don't even need to hear it actually, trust me once you are the one moving the car around, you'll feel it without even thinking about it". And damn was he right. Especially with old Fiats. :D
Even now on my modern one that feels like a starship compared to those (and it's still a very cheap Fiat), I can still get RPMs to a ~150-200 revs approximation without looking at the gauge, only by the kind of vibrations on the lever and gas pedal...can't do that on a simulated Hurricane sadly.

I reset the odometer trip every time I fill up with fuel and know that at roughly 280 miles down the road, I'm down to a third of a tank...

That is exactly what I used to do on my earlier bikes, used the trip odometer to estimate how much fuel I had left.

Of course, before I started doing it, I first went through the rather common experience of suddenly seeing the engine coughing and gasping for fuel, reaching for the fuel tap to change quickly to "reserve", and realize I already was on reserve... Good times... :ROFLMAO:

That is exactly what I used to do on my earlier bikes, used the trip odometer to estimate how much fuel I had left.
Hey, that’s what I still do, although I don’t have an old custom anymore.
My 650cc Suzuki Burgman does have a fuel gauge, but don’t like it. The good old odometer trick still feels more familiar.

Top Bottom