Il2 BoS

Deleted member 110222

D
Still my favourite...

JU-88
OMwa64A.jpg

WpI8ZAY.jpg

enb9UGW.jpg
Is the Mosquito and Gloster Meteor in the game?

Also do I have to unlock planes or is this a game where all aircraft are available right away?

My favourite IL2 BoS YouTube vid.... once again with the Heinkel 111

And a couple more from Zetexy... love his IL2 vids.

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
Okay, I'm going to reword one of my questions, as I think there may have been some confusion.

Let's say I buy the base game, and just the base game. Only considering the aircraft included in the base game, do I have to jump through hoops to unlock them for flight, or are they all available for mission editor or MP right away?

Okay, I'm going to reword one of my questions, as I think there may have been some confusion.

Let's say I buy the base game, and just the base game. Only considering the aircraft included in the base game, do I have to jump through hoops to unlock them for flight, or are they all available for mission editor or MP right away?
All the base game aircraft (there are plenty) are available to fly in career mode, SP missions via the editor or multiplay. The career mode is fun...one of my favourite modes since the campaign generates missions for you. You can chose the start date of the career or period of the war it's set in. This opens up later variants of the aircraft the later you start the campaign etc.

No, there are no unlocks. Some missions/campaigns might be restricted to specific airplanes, but free flight, quick missions, mission editor and mp allow you to fly anything you've got. You won't need to get 50 kills with a machine gun to unlock cannons either, and rockets aren't gated by destroying a bomber with bombs either. You won't find achievements and trophies. It's a flight simulator, not a skinner box.

Look at the 3 base games and see what planes you want to fly. Remember that a new game is coming soon which will have late war American, British and late war Lufty plans and make your decision.

Deleted member 110222

D
Thanks guys. I was asking because the Xbox 360 version of IL-2 had you have to hit achievements to unlock planes. 100 kills in a Spitfire to unlock the Mk XVI, for example.

Glad to see that isn't the case here.

I was also not aware of a new game coming @Glen Fiddik. May I ask what it is called? British and American aircraft are what really interest me.

Thanks guys. I was asking because the Xbox 360 version of IL-2 had you have to hit achievements to unlock planes. 100 kills in a Spitfire to unlock the Mk XVI, for example.

Glad to see that isn't the case here.

I was also not aware of a new game coming @Glen Fiddik. May I ask what it is called? British and American aircraft are what really interest me.
look here https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-bodenplatte/ its early access at the moment, the map isnt finished and there are several aircraft still to be completed. And at the moment it is a bit cheaper that when it is released. You can always buy one in the sale thats on at the moment. Its better to buy from the game makers that Steam ;)

Having had Stalingrad for a while now I finally got around to giving it a proper go in VR, which don't get me wrong is pretty fantastic (the same cannot be said for my piloting skills, rusty is probably an understatement...) but I need to look at settings as the aircraft seem a little small and I'm not talking about them being cramped, just feels like they are 25% too small maybe? All those years of using TrackIR in IL2 really have spoilt me massively, I always wondered why so many pilots didn't see aircraft behind them and now I know, it's such incredibly hard work just trying to check six for real and soon becomes very tiring on the neck, it's no wonder they started fitting mirrors to the things!

I'm just pondering dipping a toe into IL2 and there seem to be a large number of entry points -

IL2 Sturmovik :-
  • Battle of Stalingrad (part of the Great Battles* series)
  • Battle of Bodenplatte (GB*)
  • Bo Moscow (GB*)
  • Bo Kuban (GB*)
  • Battle of Normandy (GB*)
  • Cliffs of Dover
  • Flying Circus
  • Cliffs of Dover Blitz Edition
It seems that those of the GB series sit under one starter (much like DCS) - just not the rest - gawd!

* NB: "On Steam, customers must first purchase Battle of Stalingrad if they wish to purchase [any other GB 'DLC]" alternately they can be "played as a separate stand-alone product" if purchased direct from the IL2 store - at exactly the same price as they are on Steam.

Any advice for a newbie as to which one to go for? (aka HELP!!!!!!!)

e. I've edited this post about a dozen times now as I get my head around the utter mess that is the naming/selling 'conventions' being used. Rediculous!!

Last edited:
If you have a favorite plane go for the Great Battle that its in. Its always worth getting the premium edition and also look if there are any collectors planes you fancy. When you download any version of great battles you download ALL content, maps planes tanks the lot. Your key will just activate what you have bought
linky https://il2sturmovik.com/about/
1946 and clod are earlier sims and are not compatable with Great Battles.

Last edited:
I'm just pondering dipping a toe into IL2 and there seem to be a large number of entry points -

IL2 Sturmovik :-
  • Battle of Stalingrad (part of the Great Battles* series)
  • Battle of Bodenplatte (GB*)
  • Bo Moscow (GB*)
  • Bo Kuban (GB*)
  • Battle of Normandy (GB*)
  • Cliffs of Dover
  • Flying Circus
  • Cliffs of Dover Blitz Edition
It seems that those of the GB series sit under one starter (much like DCS) - just not the rest - gawd!

* NB: "On Steam, customers must first purchase Battle of Stalingrad if they wish to purchase [any other GB 'DLC]" alternately they can be "played as a separate stand-alone product" if purchased direct from the IL2 store - at exactly the same price as they are on Steam.

Any advice for a newbie as to which one to go for? (aka HELP!!!!!!!)

e. I've edited this post about a dozen times now as I get my head around the utter mess that is the naming/selling 'conventions' being used. Rediculous!!
If you want anything other than Stalingrad then buy it direct from IL2, I'd recommend that regardless just to remove steam from the equation, one less thing to go wrong ie; steam goes down but you want to play IL2.

According to the devs there is something odd about the steam system that means it has to be all marked as DLC for a base game, hence the need to have Stalingrad before you can use anything else.

Also worth jumping into the official forums as people are always doing giveaways :D

I'm really enjoying Bodenplatte at the moment...the choices for a USAF or RAF career mode spices it up for me. My grandfather flew Hurricanes at the start of the war and through the Battle of Britain and Typhoons from late 1941 in North Africa. He was transferred to a squadron equipped with the Tempest in 1944 after D-Day... so having the Tempest in game is pretty poignant for me...

He always called the Typhoon and Tempest (Typhoon II to him, he never called it a Tempest) the Widow Makers...not because of their destructive power but due to the massive torque from the Napier Sabre engine at full throttle on take off that rolled the aircraft so heavily to the left even with the roll trim set full over that if not caught in time by hauling the stick to the right as soon as the weight came off the undercarriage, it drove the left wing into the ground. That torque effect killed more young RAF pilots than the Germans did...he told stories of the early Typhoons with torque so bad they tore their own tail sections off until the airframe was eventually strengthened...

fpsL5aq.png

Qu4dPsJ.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom