I'll confess. I haven't logged into Horizons since Odyssey dropped until now....

Ps this wasn't an invitation to argue
It was quite simply trying to point out that that particular planet looks significantly better in Odyssey than it does in Horizons. By light years.
By light years is a stretch.
Still, you're comparing one planet with lack of atmosphere and variety, to another with lack of atmosphere and variety. I guess that's fair. We went from empty, boring, lifeless planets, to empty, boring, lifeless planets with some getting a graphic upgrade but a performance downgrade. And some getting both a graphic downgrade and performance downgrade.

At least you're enjoying it. One if many I bet.

giphy.gif

Ps this wasn't an invitation to argue
It was quite simply trying to point out that that particular planet looks significantly better in Odyssey than it does in Horizons. By light years.
Horizons - around 99%+ of bodies are boring and bland.
Odyssey - around 99%+ of bodies are boring and bland.

Each version has bodies that look better than the other (Deriso, the body the station orbits is a good comparison also)

Expect the repeated responses about repitition and tiling, they will always arrive... Even though it is common knowledge and a (not entirely encouraging) statement has been made by Frontier about the issue.

I agree with you, in your example Odyssey looked better.

I've got my headlights on full on an ice planet... Of course it is bright! Ever tried driving inbrhavy snow with your headlights on?

Looks FAR better to me when playing in Odyssey. I always have the option to switch the lights down or use night vision....
Screenshot 2021-07-11 143954.jpg

You know, I feel like someone should load up Star Citizen and traverse all the different star systems in their galaxy to see how much variety there is compared to Elite. Anyone care to do that? I don't have Star Citizen to do it myself.

You know, I feel like someone should load up Star Citizen and traverse all the different star systems in their galaxy to see how much variety there is compared to Elite. Anyone care to do that? I don't have Star Citizen to do it myself.
I'm under the impression there is a single system... but allegedly it is a great one!

Here, let me google this for you:

Linky.

:D S

I had a kind of similar story to OP. I had booked a dropship with Frontline and it was on a planet with very steep terrain. For whatever reason it just went black when the dropship arrived but I didn't appear in the back of the vulture to drop. I relogged and then found myself on foot in a valley that I couldn't escape as I kept sliding downwards. I called for an Apex but couldn't get to it. Logging into Horizons brought me to my ship at the station, so then I could get back to Odyssey. I don't know what the terrain looks like in Horizons but I would imagine it's flatter than what I was experiencing in Odyssey as it couldn't get much steeper.

A single system? Surely that can't be right? Single-Star Citizen?

Hmm, 0:39 looks very repetitive to me:

Unless the landscapes are just based on pure random noise maps, they will repeat. In fact, if they are supposed to reflect natural processes underlying planet formation, they should show repetition of features. However, some type of repetition is quite artificial to look at, such as the line of dune ridges in the picture earlier in this thread. The ridges should repeat (look up any image of a sandy desert from altitude), but not on a line like that.

There is a lot of misplaced hate of repetition going round the forum these days. Misplaced because it was an issue in Horizon as well, but we forgave it because Horizon still looked cartoony enough to not bring us too far down Uncanny Valley.

Or perhaps it really isn't an issue at all, but made into one by some that have no idea about terrain generation.

Unless the landscapes are just based on pure random noise maps, they will repeat. In fact, if they are supposed to reflect natural processes underlying planet formation, they should show repetition of features. However, some type of repetition is quite artificial to look at, such as the line of dune ridges in the picture earlier in this thread. The ridges should repeat (look up any image of a sandy desert from altitude), but not on a line like that.

There is a lot of misplaced hate of repetition going round the forum these days. Misplaced because it was an issue in Horizon as well, but we forgave it because Horizon still looked cartoony enough to not bring us too far down Uncanny Valley.

Or perhaps it really isn't an issue at all, but made into one by some that have no idea about terrain generation.

I agree, some of the imagery in the SC video looks fantastic, not going to lie, but it's interesting to see that similar problems can occur, and the difficulty in overcoming them when working with galactic levels of possibly variance, and how they are treated one way vs the other. It's almost as if there's a bias or something...

Take this for example..

I agree, some of the imagery in the SC video looks fantastic, not going to lie, but it's interesting to see that similar problems can occur, and the difficulty in overcoming them when working with galactic levels of possibly variance, and how they are treated one way vs the other. It's almost as if there's a bias or something...

Take this for example..
A lot of smoke and mirrors go into allowing assets to load as smoothly as possible as we move around in games. An easy way out is the good old loading screen (such as hyperspace jumps), but making a smooth transition between boring old space and planetary surfaces so potentially rich in detail is a lot trickier obviously. Add to that the ability of the human brain of recognising patterns and of course we will be able to see how the tech takes short cuts at times.

I think people should just enjoy exploring Stellar Forge and report actual bugs. There's heaps in need of fixing, but finding two similar mountains on a planet isn't one of those.

A lot of smoke and mirrors go into allowing assets to load as smoothly as possible as we move around in games. An easy way out is the good old loading screen (such as hyperspace jumps), but making a smooth transition between boring old space and planetary surfaces so potentially rich in detail is a lot trickier obviously. Add to that the ability of the human brain of recognising patterns and of course we will be able to see how the tech takes short cuts at times.

I think people should just enjoy exploring Stellar Forge and report actual bugs. There's heaps in need of fixing, but finding two similar mountains on a planet isn't one of those.

Agreed again. It's not like the cubes of stars or asteroid rings hitting the 64bit number maximum limit haven't been known about for a long time already. Still, I wish those things could be fixed though... At this point though I think FDev may as well consider doing a complete refresh of the whole galaxy. I think there's still room for more gnashing of teeth and open letters, but not much!

Agreed again. It's not like the cubes of stars or asteroid rings hitting the 64bit number maximum limit haven't been known about for a long time already. Still, I wish those things could be fixed though... At this point though I think FDev may as well consider doing a complete refresh of the whole galaxy. I think there's still room for more gnashing of teeth and open letters, but not much!
I'm sure the bones are there and that FD will keep tweaking things for as long as the game is viable.

Question for those who visited many different planets in Odyssey:
How stony/bumpy are surfaces? Are they "flatter" than in Horizons? I have really no problem with how Planets look in EDH, but driving on them can be freaking pain. Every single surface of desolated planet shouldn't be by littered by small/big rocks EVERYWHERE...

If we assume, planet tech gets merged, surfaces of current EDH will be like EDO, right? But the only difference would be that we won't see recolored skybox and wouldn't be able to leave SRV/ship on foot, am I right? Also, what about new surface bios? We definitely won't be able to "footscan" them, but will we be able to see it? Will EDH Codex get new entries about them?

How stony/bumpy are surfaces? Are they "flatter" than in Horizons? I have really no problem with how Planets look in EDH, but driving on them can be freaking pain. Every single surface of desolated planet shouldn't be by littered by small/big rocks EVERYWHERE...

If we assume, planet tech gets merged, surfaces of current EDH will be like EDO, right? But the only difference would be that we won't see recolored skybox and wouldn't be able to leave SRV/ship on foot, am I right? Also, what about new surface bios? We definitely won't be able to "footscan" them, but will we be able to see it? Will EDH Codex get new entries about them?
The terrain hasn't been too bad, mostly from using the SRV for me. I had trouble landing my larger ships during the Alpha but have been using my Dolphin (before the Alpha too btw, it has been my bubble bus for a long time) pretty exclusively since and had no trouble finding landing spots.

It sounds like a bit of a cop out answer, but:

The planets vary a lot. There are some that clearly have been bombarded by rocks and are liberally littered.

There are others with atmospheres where they have a large mass, an atmosphere and appear to be far smoother, almost with sand dune like appearances. There are small worlds that are clearly riven by gravitational forces and SERIOUSLY rugged where it is hard to land.

The planet gen tech including Rock scatter has had a complete overhaul. So ALL planets look different to how they did before. And different does Not equal broken.

They've increased the number of core variants graphically, so where some planets were previously beige, they're now icy or very light sandy in colour.

All in all, it is a big improvement and unlike many of those deciding that they're not content with being negative in their OWN threads and shouting down people who are having a good experience, they'll come to positive threads and shout those down too, my experience is of very DIFFERENT planets to Horizons, nice variation and certainly very often challenging surfaces.

Plus there are some smooth ones too, typically larger mass.

I have not yet seen any problems with repetition and whilst the texture pops a little on glide approach, having upped the lod in graphics settings it isn't problematic.

Can it be better? Yes. Is it 'OMG SO BROKEN FDEV ATE MY CAT AND SAID BAD THINGS ABOUT MY MUM'. No. Really no. They also didn't slash my tyres, steal my favourite salt lick or shove biowaste through my letterbox.

HOWEVER - the difference in the terrains is chalk and cheese. The Horizons landscape is BORING. The Odyssey one is far far better.
I know this isn't everyone else's experience, but for me, in this place, on this planet.... the difference is pronounced and it's excellent.

Whilst I acknowledge that people think that the new planetary tech isn't as good - for MY part - It is MUCH better.... just different.
This too is my experience.
In one case I had a mission to kill people at a base on an ice world.
I did my thing, alarms were sounded, and tried to run away.
Thing is, it was too hilly for my ship to land, and of course it didn't want to land at the base.. So an SRV scramble / on foot mountain climb began.

I took a couple of fairly boring pictures (my skills are rubbish).

One shows how hilly the area was, and the other shows my ship trying to land.

I chickened out, and logged into horizons, then back to EDO again.

Screenshot_00071625677587.png

Screenshot_00081625677589.png

That last one, while a boring picture, shows how hilly the terrain was. At that time, people were complaining that it was all flat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom