Hardware & Technical I'm looking to buy a 1440p 144hz monitor; will my gtx 960 be powerful enough to max elite?

many thanks.

p.s. If anyone has a link to a recommended monitor please could you add it.

My budget is about £400ish

I would say possibly, but if you do want to use supersampling you would be better off using the nVidia control panel to set DSR to 1.5x and 2.0x. This is the same as the in game supersampling but is much more efficient. I run ED on a 144hz monitor with a GTX980 @ 1080p with 2.0x DSR (essentially 4k downscaled to 1080p) and I get 70 - 90 fps in stations and on planets and 110 - 144 in space (capped by adaptive vsync). To be honest, you probably won't need supersampling at 1440p although the aliasing in this game can get pretty terrible at times. I need to use DSR or it's borderline horrendous, especially on approach to stations.

Wow that would be really great.

The potential improved visuals etc, and the dark banding spoiling my current monitor; has got me itching to buy a replacement!

Last edited:
Sadly I don't think your 960 will cut it. At 1440p/ultra settings you'll be looking at around 45-50 fps in empty space and 20-25 in stations or on planets. Nowhere close to the 144fps needed to satisfy your 144Hz monitor.

I used to have a 970, at those settings with that resolution I would only see approx 65-70fps in space and 40-45 planetside.

I currently have a 1070, and at those settings I'd only manage the 144fps in empty space, anywhere else would see a drop to 125-130.

This. I have the Asus 144hz 1440p ips monitor (the one listed on page 1 I believe) with a GTX 1070 on max settings. I see the same fps. It is gorgeous btw. But you don't need 144hz for this game. I doubt your 960 could take advantage of it anyway.

Thanks so much for the results.

I have the i5 2400 with 8gb which should give me close enough to your readings.

I'm definitely sold on getting the monitor, now I just have to choose the right one!

What price range should I be in? should I keep around £300-£400 or is the £500 plus range worth the extra cash?

Last edited:
Top Bottom