Newcomer / Intro Image Scene Capture Request

(Please redirect to correct forum if off topic.)

I really like some of the ED images. I'd like to use ED to create an image for a book cover. But I'm a complete novice and the scene I want is rather specific. Is there a place where I could ask ED users if they could create and provide such a scene image?

Details: This one is close, but it shows an asteroid exploding instead of an enemy ship. I could almost get away with it - its an explosion after all. The scene I am trying to depict is of a small "Raider" craft having just been disabled by a larger (not big though) rival "Raider" faction ship which has demanded they surrender and prepare to be boarded. Unknown to the aggressor however, is the smaller "Raider" craft's companion ship who is in a "Frontier" ship (one similar to the one in the picture would do) having hidden in the large asteroid like rings of the gas giant, which has slowly and stealthily risen up enough from the rings to launch a missile at the larger "Raider" ship. The sample image in the link above captures the moment the missile destroys the larger "Raider" (although the sample is really an asteroid).

My ships don't use propellents, so no con trails. I also don't necessarily want to showcase ED ships; mine don't have stupid things like wings. Hence why the sample image linked above mostly works. You can see all three "ships" assuming one is exploding.

If I used the sample image, I'd frame it to crop out up to 1/2 of the ship in the foreground to make it fit. The book cover needs room for title and author either 'over' part of the image or in a non-interesting part of it.. And the aspect ratio is landscape (ie. tall), not letterbox (ie. wide). If the sample image had more to it above and below the scene, cropping would be easier. Specifically...
"1,600 pixels wide by 2,400 pixels tall is generally a good dimension, or such similar
ratio. The image must be at least 1,400 pixels wide, and the height should be greater
(taller) than the width. A good guideline is to make the height between 1.3 and 1.6 times
greater than the width. I think 1.5 to 1.6 usually looks best..."

It would be great to somehow get the fact that they are in a ring system around a gas giant in the image. The rings have to be dense and thick enough to have concealed the "Frontier" ship.

Alternative idea: Same part of story but from the "Frontier" ship's pilot's POV. Just prior to the scene described above, the "Frontier" pilot is powered down and hiding in the rings of the gas giant. His companion in the first smaller "Raider" is trying to flee but gets disabled and drifts while the pursuing ship makes demands. The Frontier pilot is looking up, through the upper and above part of the canopy (so we see enough of his cockpit to set the context he's in a cockpit). There are rocks of various sizes seen above and around him, concealing his position. He's watching the two ships drift overhead, knowing they will eventually line up in front of him after they pass over and he pops up to launch his missile.

Copyright: Are there any restrictions to using these images?

There are a couple of Screenshot threads over in Dangerous Discussions that might be better places to ask.

Copyright: Are there any restrictions to using these images?
Yes. Essentially, FD has given permission to use their material for fan-related activities, that includes monetized YT channels. But using an ED picture for a book cover that has nothing to do with ED and that is, from your description, a commercial venture, will likely exceed this permission.

You should reach out to FD and ask them directly. Even if they say "no way", that's going to be easier on you than a copyright lawsuit. Not sure how to go about this - ISTR that there's a community@FD address for these things, or you could just report your own post to bring to the mod's attention and ask to be brought in contact, or you could tag or PM one of the community managers here (although that'd probably have the least chance of a reply, those guys and gals are flooded with tags and PMs).

Top Bottom