Imperial Cutter - cockpit looks partially transparent

@sallymorganmoore

Sally I noticed this odd bug (highlighted in the attached image) :

I am flying a Imperial cutter in a LTD Hotspot, and I noticed that the Hotspot HUD text (the big yellow ring pointing to the middle of the hotspot), is visible through parts of the cockpit - it is noticeable that External objects (rocks, stars, planets) are not visible - it only looks to be the HUD elements.

Tranparent cockpit elements.png

I did confirm this by yawing, rolling and pitching the ship, and the text did move about - confirming that this is the HUD text.

I'm not sure I understand.

You're saying that the "holographic" HUD, projected into the interior of your ship, appears partially transparent?
Isn't that to be expected?

Deleted member 182079

D
This used to be a much more wide ranging issue with not just the Cutter but other ships as well (say the Vipers) - the HUD elements (say from a selected station, or planet) would appear right through the dashboard, as if the ship window boundaries (i.e. the area that displays ship HUD elements) were deleted and haphazardly re-drawn but the devs in charge missed bits and bobs of the cockpit (maybe an opacity toggle or something wasn't set, no idea).

Most has since been fixed (we'll probably see them back in patch 8 or 9 since I now jinxed it!) but judging from the above they still 'missed a bit'.

:rolleyes:

On a possibly related note, I do notice that there are inconsistencies related to what you can/can't see though your canopy.

If you're flying something like a DBX or Krait, where there's a visible metal framework obscuring part of your view, most of the HUD elements disappear "behind" the metal frame (as if the glass panels are displaying the HUD elements) but certain things appear "in front" of the metal frames (as if they're being projected from inside the ship).

Seems like different dev's have had different ideas about what should be masked and what shouldn't.

Not a big deal but it's kind of irritating once you notice it.

Deleted member 182079

D
On a possibly related note, I do notice that there are inconsistencies related to what you can/can't see though your canopy.

If you're flying something like a DBX or Krait, where there's a visible metal framework obscuring part of your view, most of the HUD elements disappear "behind" the metal frame (as if the glass panels are displaying the HUD elements) but certain things appear "in front" of the metal frames (as if they're being projected from inside the ship).

Seems like different dev's have had different ideas about what should be masked and what shouldn't.

I did pay close attention to that and I think what you may describe is indeed reflected correctly in the game - i.e. it depends if the frame is behind or in front of the glass (the HUD renders on the glass) it will appear as if it renders on the frame, but it's actually correct because the glass is in front of it (a good example would be the Raider ship kit where it adds a cage in front of the canopy - here you should indeed see the HUD throughout as the cage isn't obscruring the glass from the pilot's viewpoint).

The issue in the OP was a thing since the Alpha as I noticed it there first.

When you get around to fiddling with the Cutter's interior, it might be nice if you also modified the cosmetic "lights" in the centre of the console, which have caused confusion when landing at stations for years.

CQayJVI.jpg

Just sayin'... ;)

And please brighten up the cockpit! This is a white (white/black) cockpit but i only see blacks! (on my PC also).

I have noticed similar

Yes, this is my experience as well. The iCourier has a metal framework and parts of it block HUD elements and parts don't. It's quite bizarre looking.

Such a minor thing.
Not worthy of a Sally ping
But along she came noting it as bizarre
Oh Sally, you're such a star!

:giggle:

I'm not sure I understand.

You're saying that the "holographic" HUD, projected into the interior of your ship, appears partially transparent?
Isn't that to be expected?
No - It is the 'hard cockpit panel' which I assume is similar to a dashboard in the car, is transparent but only to HUD elements as you can see from the picture a small part of the words 'Low Temperature Diamond' are leaking through the 'cockpit elements', although the same elements don't show objects outside the ship - ..

No - It is the 'hard cockpit panel' which I assume is similar to a dashboard in the car, is transparent but only to HUD elements as you can see from the picture a small part of the words 'Low Temperature Diamond' are leaking through the 'cockpit elements', although the same elements don't show objects outside the ship - ..

I'm still not sure I understand.

Our ships don't have a "dashboard" of any kind.
All the information you see is supposed to be "holographically" projected into the ship's interior while all the HUD elements you see through the canopy are displayed on the canopy glass, itself.
This is pretty obvious in VR but on a monitor it can be verified by looking at other interior views, which'll show the instrumentation and HUD information from different perspectives.

If there is something wrong with the way that's being depicted, I guess FDev now know about it though. (y)

Hey! I know this thread is old, but i've just bought a Clipper. There are parts of the cockpit that are "partially" transparent and they are not supposed to be like that. For example, the part of the dashboard right above the floor will not let you see directly outside (that's as expected) but you can see parts of the hud through the dash! Target locks, distances in LS and LY, signal sources, and so on. Every "floating" part of the hud can be seen through the dash. It's very weird, most noticeable in VR as most of the untouched bugs that are there since release (dammit)

Top Bottom