News Important Mac announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Those campaigns always gain a lot of traction toward the end.
There is always a surge as the compaign comes to an end in a kickstarter.
I didn't suggest there wasn't. Just stated some dates and numbers for the record.

There is no evidence to suggest the mac users got the game funded. [...] Whether that contribution got the game funded or not is a different matter. We don't know and probably never will do.
It is not possible to determine whether the campaign would have succeeded without the Mac users' direct contributions [...]
But they did contribute, that I have not denied.
Mac users were definitely a contributor to that.
Glad we're on the same page.

Note that at no point did I assert that it was only Mac users' pledges that pushed the game past the target. And to be fair, neither did Kantos Kan. You asked whether he was saying that Mac users "funded ED getting off the ground." That answer to that is an unqualified yes, because just like the other backers they contributed to the Kickstarter after the stretch goal was announced but before the original target was hit.

With the benefit of hindsight, and in my opinion only, the KickStarter allowed Frontier to pretend that the money we strove to raise was vital, whereas in reality, it was not.
You may be right. Either way it was a blindingly good PR move, with the story even making the non-gaming media (the BBC/Micro historical connection probably helped).

Sometimes I also suspect that early code was already well in development during that whole phase. The revelation for me was the relatively high speed with which FD released the original single-player alpha (still a stunning first reveal) and then surprised us with planetary landings in Horizons, followed by a very long stretch of relatively glacial development. My gut feeling is that much of the groundwork for ED and even Horizons was already established. The pre-alpha stuff in the Dev Diaries could have been from even earlier test builds. It might also explain why so much of what was proposed by FD in the DDF was ultimately presented barebones or not at all, if they were trying to shoehorn their vision into a framework that already existed and which they subsequently realised wasn't up to some of the tasks within the timescales they had. But that's pure speculation on my part; I'm well and truly camped out in the tinfoil milliners' at this point.

Honestly, I would not have gotten into ED if it were not for the Mac version.

Also, I would not have learned to bootcamp my Mac and opened a new world of PC gaming if it had not been for ED.

It's a shame. I don't play much on the Mac, but I have bought it on both Mac and Xbox. I loved to play it when I was on business travels.

It's a shame. I don't play much on the Mac, but I have bought it on both Mac and Xbox. I loved to play it when I was on business travels.

Still can, just have to bootcamp it...

Or boot it into Linux for a slightly more complicated but similar experience.

I finally got a Mac with a half decent graphics card and went to load it up and found it was gone.

Lol

Typical.

Have no fear. One of my friends has the same issue, did the free dual boot with windows 10 from bootcamp and with the microsoft 10 ISO - plays great at 1080p booting into windows. You will need 10 gigs of space for the OS on one of your boot drives, and elite on external drive.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom