Impossible "Destroy megaship weapons" mission.

Impossible for me?

I have run a bunch of these missions and love them. I really enjoy the variety of the ships and scenarios. The "hunt" to find your target with the FSS is a great way to bring in the new exploration game-play. I engineered an Imperial Eagle for speed with fixed dumb fire rockets. I usually don't bother to scan the weapon and then locate the sub-target. I just navigate along the ship at high velocity and visually identify the power generators.... using Engineered A thrusters and my HOTAS to have an awesome time dodging and weaving around the ship at high speed.

Cue the Rocinante battling the Stealth Ship around the Thoth Spin Station.

It seems I lack the skill or strategy to survive an attack on the power supplies of a certain type of ship. I can't get close enough to destroy the 5 power generators in one of the scenarios. When I get within range of the weapons of the station it immediately identifies me as a hostile and I am destroyed with precision and power only found at a star-port.

I tried one of my shield and hull tank large ships. Same thing. Not even close now that I have a much slower ship.

There must be something I am just not understanding here.

1. How does the station identify me? I don't get a "scan" notification, it just seems to know.
  2. I tried to resign from my power and wait a few days.... no luck.
  3. The station's initiation of the attack persists even though I have been previously destroyed and/or paid off bounties and fines. Even though I am clean and have no bounty it opens fire first without provocation.
  4. I tried multiple approaches to search for a no-fire zone in the ship fire arc and it seems there is none (Example: Star Destroyer lack of weapons aft).

Could silent running be my only solution? I didn't bother to try this I concluded that station-level weapons would exterminate me immediately after my first shot.

I am at a loss on this one.

In that case your problem is that you have to find the turret's power source. Scan the turret... you have to get close... then under the Sub-targets tab on your left panel you will find a select-able sub-target called "power generator". Selecting it will make it your current target.

I have flown enough missions to identify power sources without having to scan first.

I can't get close enough to engage. Not even in range of my weapons.

You're getting destroyed because shooting the ship makes it hostile. The answer is to not shoot the ship.

Factabulous has linked to a way which doesn't require you to shoot the ship - just headbutt it (or buttbutt it if you prefer).

Impossible for me?

I have run a bunch of these missions and love them. I really enjoy the variety of the ships and scenarios. The "hunt" to find your target with the FSS is a great way to bring in the new exploration game-play. I engineered an Imperial Eagle for speed with fixed dumb fire rockets. I usually don't bother to scan the weapon and then locate the sub-target. I just navigate along the ship at high velocity and visually identify the power generators.... using Engineered A thrusters and my HOTAS to have an awesome time dodging and weaving around the ship at high speed.

Cue the Rocinante battling the Stealth Ship around the Thoth Spin Station.

It seems I lack the skill or strategy to survive an attack on the power supplies of a certain type of ship. I can't get close enough to destroy the 5 power generators in one of the scenarios. When I get within range of the weapons of the station it immediately identifies me as a hostile and I am destroyed with precision and power only found at a star-port.

I tried one of my shield and hull tank large ships. Same thing. Not even close now that I have a much slower ship.

There must be something I am just not understanding here.

1. How does the station identify me? I don't get a "scan" notification, it just seems to know.
  2. I tried to resign from my power and wait a few days.... no luck.
  3. The station's initiation of the attack persists even though I have been previously destroyed and/or paid off bounties and fines. Even though I am clean and have no bounty it opens fire first without provocation.
  4. I tried multiple approaches to search for a no-fire zone in the ship fire arc and it seems there is none (Example: Star Destroyer lack of weapons aft).
Could silent running be my only solution? I didn't bother to try this I concluded that station-level weapons would exterminate me immediately after my first shot.

I am at a loss on this one.
Are you hostile to the faction who owns it? If you're Hostile (Rep), things will open fire without scan, instantly.

Also, how are your ships fit? My tank-ship (Krait MK2) usually has no trouble tanking the damage Megaships/Installations throw at them.

Are you hostile to the faction who owns it? If you're Hostile (Rep), things will open fire without scan, instantly.

Also, how are your ships fit? My tank-ship (Krait MK2) usually has no trouble tanking the damage Megaships/Installations throw at them.

That must be it. I must be hostile to that faction from running similar missions against that installation. I thought they had to SCAN you first before opening fire? Guess not..

I checked my profile and my Notoriety is ZERO, so it isn't coming from that setting. It must be that I am already hostile and they don't need to scan to "see" my status.

I did notice last night that there is NO DELAY between my exiting SC into normal space near the station and the NPCs calling me a criminal on comms... so there is no way to use silent running to get in there and do the damage undetected.

Last edited:
You don't shoot the generators. You Ram them. Shooting the Gens makes you hostile against the megaship end ensures you become a target. If you Ram the Gens, they simple explode and you DONT become a target.

You don't shoot the generators. You Ram them. Shooting the Gens makes you hostile against the megaship end ensures you become a target. If you Ram the Gens, they simple explode and you DONT become a target.

Good point.

That tactic will have to wait until I am no longer instantly hostile!

That must be it. I must be hostile to that faction from running similar missions against that installation. I thought they had to SCAN you first before opening fire? Guess not..

I checked my profile and my Notoriety is ZERO, so it isn't coming from that setting. It must be that I am already hostile and they don't need to scan to "see" my status.

I did notice last night that there is NO DELAY between my exiting SC into normal space near the station and the NPCs calling me a criminal on comms... so there is no way to use silent running to get in there and do the damage undetected.
Look under status on the right side of the hud in that system, or look at the system view... it lists your rep along witch the faction listing there.

Top Bottom